S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

$2k to drop on suspension

Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2k to drop on suspension

So, between my tax return and some cash I've got laying around, Ill have around $2k (fitting, I know) to spend on my suspension. I already have a set of Eibach Prokit springs that I'm sure I can use again.

I pretty much figured some of that will go to a set of Konis. So, what else should I get? Is there anything other than Konis you might recommend?

I don't know jack diddly about suspension, so really, all advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

KWv3 or KW clubsports if you can find a deal.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 AM

I would pick up some Suspension Technique coil overs which are a steel version of the KW v1, some extended top hats, a set of spc ball joints and spoon sub frame collars. With the other 200 dollars left over I would have your car corner weighted and aligned professionally. And then do a track day to ensure your happy with your new setup or make changes to the dampening and alignment if necessary.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

You can buy my KW Clubsports for $1500. One front shock will need a rebuild probably 6 months-1 year from now and that'll cost you $250ish for labor and parts and you'll have a great setup for much less than they are brand new.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 PM

You should buy some revalved konis with ground control coil overs on them from PSI. Best shocks for the money.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:02 PM

do you plan to track your car or street driven/daily only?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 AM

i think gt motoring has hks hipermax III for like 1785 plus 60 dollars shipping

i like my hipermax's
Old 03-02-2012, 03:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by _deleted
So, between my tax return and some cash I've got laying around, Ill have around $2k (fitting, I know) to spend on my suspension. I already have a set of Eibach Prokit springs that I'm sure I can use again.

I pretty much figured some of that will go to a set of Konis. So, what else should I get? Is there anything other than Konis you might recommend?

I don't know jack diddly about suspension, so really, all advice is greatly appreciated!
If you do not plan on tracking the car, skip this post, skip the damper purchase , save your money and buy just tires and wheels.
I just installed a set of JRZ's and have only tested them on the street for 20 miles but they are much better than the K-sports I had previously. The real test will be at the track when I can push the car to the limits. If you are pricing dampers keep in mind you will need to get (at least for the front) a matching sway bar for the setup you install. I went with the Eibach on the front and rear, size was suggested by the guys at ScienceOfSpeed. The one other important setup item is to balance the car once you have changed your ride height. I did mine last year and it made a HUGE difference in the handling of the car at speed. I am in the process of doing it right now for the new dampers and it is a rather PIA to do , even if you own scales. If you don't own any acales, find someone who does and throw some money their way because there is no use sinking $2000 into your suspension and then having it handle poorly because its not balenced. Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
I would pick up some Suspension Technique coil overs which are a steel version of the KW v1, some extended top hats, a set of spc ball joints and spoon sub frame collars. With the other 200 dollars left over I would have your car corner weighted and aligned professionally. And then do a track day to ensure your happy with your new setup or make changes to the dampening and alignment if necessary.
what is the purpose of the extended top hats?

While you're at it, have you used the sub-frame collars?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you auto-x?
Do you do HPDE?
Is the s2000 your daily driver?
What wheel and tire setup are you running?

IN order to suggest a suspension for your car, its best to understand your overall goals. We carry a variety of suspension for the s2000 (from Megans to KW's and everything in between). Please let us know if we can be of assistance in finding you a setup that best meets your long-term needs. Thanks!

Quick Reply: $2k to drop on suspension