S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Alignment question

Old 08-17-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment question

I know this is not an S2K but I think the knowledgeable people here can help me out.

So I have an 01 Acura Integra Type R car is in the back in the pic. Long story short. I get this vibration between 75-8- MPH. I replaced the front end like the tie rods, wheel bearing, ball joints, and bushings because they were all bad anyway. I went to get an alignment and the front end was aligned perfectly of course. Now the back the bolts to adjust the toe were seized in the bushing so they could not adjust it correctly. One side was in spec, but the other side was toe out. So after the alignment I still had the vibrating issue between 75-80 MPH. And the wheels are balanced of course. I decided to rotate my tires and the car pulls to the right slightly, I think that is from having the bad alignment in the back. BUT here is the catch now after I rotated the tires the car pulls to the right slightly but the vibration went away. Do you think the bad toe in the back was the culprit for this?

CLIFFS :

-OP had bad bushings, tie rod, axles, wheel bearing, literally everything because i plan on keeping the car, etc in the front. And had steering wheel vibration at 75-80 MPH. Did it all myself and clocked all the bushings in the front.
-Replaces them and gets an alignment
-They could align front end but rear could NOT because bolts are seized
-Driver side REAR is good but passenger is TOE OUT.
-Wheels are all balanced
-After alignment car drives straight but still shook around same 75-80 MPH
-OP decide to rotate tires but after doing that car pulls to the right slightly but VIBRATION is gone
-I think now that the car pulls to the right slightly it smoothed out the alignment.
-Is the rear alignment the issue to this? Or the wheel balance. I think the tires before I rotated them had a different wear pattern because when I rotated them it pulls to the right but the vibration is gone.

Can the bad rear alignment cause the vibration issue? Before the alignment my steering wheel was straight forward and shook, now after rotating tires, I guess they wore a certain way pulls to right now but the vibration is gone.

Pic of cars

Attached Thumbnails Alignment question-s4.jpg  

Last edited by ceek732; 08-17-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:09 PM

anyone any advice?
Old 08-18-2017, 03:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes bad rear alignment can cause vibration issues. The main culprit is toe. Significant out of range rear toe can create a resonance as the tires fight each other. Out of range rear toe can contribute to tire chopping which creates its own vibration. If a rotation solves your vibration issues, I would look for chopped tires.

You need to get that bolt loose. It can be done. I just spent a few hours breaking loose rusted control arm/toe bolts on my Mdx. Research solutions online. Hammer, lots of spray oil and back and forth with an impact gun. Worst case cut the bolt/bushing and replace the link.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Yes bad rear alignment can cause vibration issues. The main culprit is toe. Significant out of range rear toe can create a resonance as the tires fight each other. Out of range rear toe can contribute to tire chopping which creates its own vibration. If a rotation solves your vibration issues, I would look for chopped tires.

You need to get that bolt loose. It can be done. I just spent a few hours breaking loose rusted control arm/toe bolts on my Mdx. Research solutions online. Hammer, lots of spray oil and back and forth with an impact gun. Worst case cut the bolt/bushing and replace the link.
Ok thank you!
Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0

Agreed, check the tires, you will likely see an interesting wear pattern on one or more. If you search "tire wear chart" there are many helpful cheat-sheets for identifying the root cause of tire wear related issues. You will likely find a combination of feathered and scalloped wear from the chart below.