S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Best brake fluid 2016

Old 09-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
Originally Posted by TsukubaCody' timestamp='1474990119' post='24070923
Mike RT4, you're missing the whole point. They are different ways to consider best. For a street car, Castrol SRF is probably not the best choice; it is expensive & unless you're breaking many laws, you're not going to be boiling even Valvoline fluid driving on the street.

I run Motul RF600 in my AP1, because I fully intended on tracking the car when I put it in, if I actually do so is another question. Thus why I'm considering Michelin PSS instead of ZIISS/RE71R/etc. The ZIISS/RE71 are categorically the better tire objectively, but for my needs the PSS may be the 'best' choice.
I actually see it the other way round and that you are missing the point, what is the "best" for you is completely different from what is the "best" full stop.....

IMO, you can quantify a brake fluid a "best" simply by checking out the wet and dry boiling point and comparing it with other fluids. The highest numbers wins as best IMO. If they are lower, they are not the best, they are worse than the best. However, they may fit your budget better and have a temperature range that fits your remit and if they are significantly cheaper, that might make them best for YOU, but at no point does that make them the best - period .
Ugh. Not worth it.

I'm going to go mount some slicks to my S2000 because they're the best full stop.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Originally Posted by Mike RT4' timestamp='1474991658' post='24070942
[quote name='TsukubaCody' timestamp='1474990119' post='24070923']
Mike RT4, you're missing the whole point. They are different ways to consider best. For a street car, Castrol SRF is probably not the best choice; it is expensive & unless you're breaking many laws, you're not going to be boiling even Valvoline fluid driving on the street.

I run Motul RF600 in my AP1, because I fully intended on tracking the car when I put it in, if I actually do so is another question. Thus why I'm considering Michelin PSS instead of ZIISS/RE71R/etc. The ZIISS/RE71 are categorically the better tire objectively, but for my needs the PSS may be the 'best' choice.
I actually see it the other way round and that you are missing the point, what is the "best" for you is completely different from what is the "best" full stop.....

IMO, you can quantify a brake fluid a "best" simply by checking out the wet and dry boiling point and comparing it with other fluids. The highest numbers wins as best IMO. If they are lower, they are not the best, they are worse than the best. However, they may fit your budget better and have a temperature range that fits your remit and if they are significantly cheaper, that might make them best for YOU, but at no point does that make them the best - period .
Ugh. Not worth it.

I'm going to go mount some slicks to my S2000 because they're the best full stop.
[/quote]

If you were going to go on track and you had upgraded all the other components to suit, that wouldn't actually be a bad idea - it would allow you to achieve the "best" possible (dry) lap times from the car .
Old 09-27-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You are cherry picking the stat that is the most important.

What is the worlds best tire? Its all about performance right? Ok, so which performance stat is most important?

The tire that goes the most miles before wearing out?

The tire that gives the most mpg?

The tire that gives the best 1/4 mile time?

The one with the best mud traction?

Each of these are the most important stat to a whole lot of people. But probably none are the most important to anyone reading this post.

Of course, the most important stat varies based on your usage. That is the point. Until you know what the usage is, you don't know which performance stat is the most important, and you can't say which is the 'best'...
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1474891899' post='24069961
[quote name='Mike RT4' timestamp='1474877464' post='24069877']
[quote name='B serious' timestamp='1474643316' post='24068388']
Some brake fluids are more hygroscopic than others. So use environment may be a factor if longevity is a concern. An expensive racing brake fluid may or may not become contaminated faster. Fluids on race cars are changed more often than those on street cars.
And SRF is an absolute and total waste if its not being used for racing purposes. You'd have to be dreaming to think you need it on a street car that you like to drive hard.
Castrol SRF lasts 1-2 years no problem in extreme track use. I read on here of people changing their brake fluids every other track day (which would end up much more expensive than the Castrol SRF). I don't understand why someone would criticise it on price, but be prepared to spend far more on an inferior fluid over the same period of time (due to having to replace it more frequently). Seems a bit of a false economy to me (and that is without the high temp benefits)....

However, I can only comment on my experience. I discovered SRF over 15 years ago and haven't used anything other than this fluid in all my cars since then. It gives the added bonus of knowing that I am NEVER going to have an issue with the dreaded peddle to the floor, which is a real confidence boost when on track. It allows you to constantly brake as deep and as late as the pads and tyres will let you without that horrible doubt in the back of your mind, that it's all going to go wrong .

It's certainly not the cheapest, but when has the "best" ever been ? The Miata does everything that an S2000 does and is cheaper, but funnily enough we all choose to pay the extra for the better car .
You wouldn't have pedal problems on the street with something like Valvoline DOT4 either.

To use your own comparison, what you're describing is like buying a S2000 because its "better" than a Miata and then never going past 2K rpm with it.

Its your money. I'm sure you've got piles of it. Spend it how you want.

But.... "best"?
[/quote]

To me, when someone asks for the "best", they are asking for the product that is better performing than anything else (irrespective of price comparison). It might not be "best" for your pocket, but it is "best" for the use it is being put to. The SRF does the daily schlep no worse than the above-mentioned Valvoline, but when put to the extremes of brake performance, it will outshine the Valvoline by some margin (which is what it is supposed to do). For me personally, that is what the "best" brake fluid is supposed to do (out perform it's counterparts). Now if he had been more specific and asked for the "best value" brake fluid, that might give a different answer, as then you would compromise the outright performance with price. However, SRF still wins for me, as it might be three times the price of the others, but in my experience it is fit and forget for 2 years, so still works out cheaper than replacing the less expensive fluids (especially if you're paying a garage to do it for you).

The initial cost may make you think twice, but the logic of sticking with a cheaper fluid (given the above), just doesn't compute to me....?
[/quote]
Yes one is on the right direction i ask the best meaning best of all not matter what price ect ect so is castrol srf ?
Old 09-27-2016, 03:20 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by leo777
Yes one is on the right direction i ask the best meaning best of all not matter what price ect ect so is castrol srf ?
Dude, seriously? Best street? Best track? Best balance of the two? Its not the same answer for each. What are going to be doing?
The following users liked this post:
TrumpetTitan (08-14-2019)
Old 09-27-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody' timestamp='1474990119' post='24070923

there are fluids with a higher boiling point than SRF.

So...
The following users liked this post:
TrumpetTitan (08-14-2019)
Old 09-27-2016, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by leo777
Originally Posted by Mike RT4' timestamp='1474963870' post='24070733
[quote name='B serious' timestamp='1474891899' post='24069961']
[quote name='Mike RT4' timestamp='1474877464' post='24069877']
[quote name='B serious' timestamp='1474643316' post='24068388']
Some brake fluids are more hygroscopic than others. So use environment may be a factor if longevity is a concern. An expensive racing brake fluid may or may not become contaminated faster. Fluids on race cars are changed more often than those on street cars.
And SRF is an absolute and total waste if its not being used for racing purposes. You'd have to be dreaming to think you need it on a street car that you like to drive hard.
Castrol SRF lasts 1-2 years no problem in extreme track use. I read on here of people changing their brake fluids every other track day (which would end up much more expensive than the Castrol SRF). I don't understand why someone would criticise it on price, but be prepared to spend far more on an inferior fluid over the same period of time (due to having to replace it more frequently). Seems a bit of a false economy to me (and that is without the high temp benefits)....

However, I can only comment on my experience. I discovered SRF over 15 years ago and haven't used anything other than this fluid in all my cars since then. It gives the added bonus of knowing that I am NEVER going to have an issue with the dreaded peddle to the floor, which is a real confidence boost when on track. It allows you to constantly brake as deep and as late as the pads and tyres will let you without that horrible doubt in the back of your mind, that it's all going to go wrong .

It's certainly not the cheapest, but when has the "best" ever been ? The Miata does everything that an S2000 does and is cheaper, but funnily enough we all choose to pay the extra for the better car .
You wouldn't have pedal problems on the street with something like Valvoline DOT4 either.

To use your own comparison, what you're describing is like buying a S2000 because its "better" than a Miata and then never going past 2K rpm with it.

Its your money. I'm sure you've got piles of it. Spend it how you want.

But.... "best"?
[/quote]

To me, when someone asks for the "best", they are asking for the product that is better performing than anything else (irrespective of price comparison). It might not be "best" for your pocket, but it is "best" for the use it is being put to. The SRF does the daily schlep no worse than the above-mentioned Valvoline, but when put to the extremes of brake performance, it will outshine the Valvoline by some margin (which is what it is supposed to do). For me personally, that is what the "best" brake fluid is supposed to do (out perform it's counterparts). Now if he had been more specific and asked for the "best value" brake fluid, that might give a different answer, as then you would compromise the outright performance with price. However, SRF still wins for me, as it might be three times the price of the others, but in my experience it is fit and forget for 2 years, so still works out cheaper than replacing the less expensive fluids (especially if you're paying a garage to do it for you).

The initial cost may make you think twice, but the logic of sticking with a cheaper fluid (given the above), just doesn't compute to me....?
[/quote]
[/quote]

ohhhh. I get what you guys are saying.

Yeah. Get Castrol SRF. Its the best.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:45 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious

I'm getting tired of agreeing with you. I'll argue about something, anything, when I buy you that beer that I owe you.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by hecash
Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1475021755' post='24071326

I'm getting tired of agreeing with you. I'll argue about something, anything, when I buy you that beer that I owe you.
lol. yeah, bud. great minds are a terrible thing. Or....however the saying goes.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i do mixed driving from day to day and track my car about once a month. used o'reilley dot 4 before and now use motul RBF 600 dot 4.
both work great, can't tell a damn bit of difference...