S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

BEST S2000 SUSPENSION?

Old 09-13-2015, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST S2000 SUSPENSION?

Hi, I need help with this. I have a 99 Honda S2000. Is this a replacement for front struts, springs, and rear shocks? I am looking to replace the OEM parts on my car. Also, what brand are these? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2015, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like your post title has absolutely nothing to do with the body of your post..
Old 09-14-2015, 06:05 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

OEM suspension is made by Showa. BTW, all 4 corners are called "struts" for our cars. See here: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/d...ocksstruts.cfm

Anyway, to know what the "best" suspension is, you have to tailor the answer to the car's use and function. Is this just a street car? Track? Autox? If so, how often? What tires will be on the car? What other mods? All of these things are to be considered before just throwing a brand out on the table and saying "that's the best." It would be highly opinionated, bias, and not based on any real evidence.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you replacing the OEM parts because they are worn? If so, for most people, OEM is just fine.

I think many owners do more harm when trying to "upgrade" the OEM parts. I'm not anti-aftermarket, but most cars I've driven with aftermarket suspension setups have been a downgrade from OEM.

Choose your parts wisely!
Old 09-14-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what. the. heck.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Just buy oem suspension again, which will be used. I guess that's what you are asking? The title is very misleading from what you are saying on your post.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Best is relative for what you plan to use it for. I wanted the most compliant suspension that wasn't a downgrade from stock so I chose the Ohlins DFV. At a lower price point, I would also consider the HKS Hipermax IV GT.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said, "best" is very subjective. Feel free to PM me with your budget and what you plan to do with the car (track days, autocross) and I'll try to give you the best option.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
BTW, all 4 corners are called "struts" for our cars. See here: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/d...ocksstruts.cfm
The S2000 does not use the McPherson strut design on any corner. We have unequal-length double-A-arm designs at all four corners. Don't confuse a "coilover shock" design with a strut design. Struts are used to locate wheel position and direct motion (and therefore define alignment), in addition to resisting and damping motion. Coilover-shocks merely resist and damp motion and are applied to designs where there are separate upper and lower arms (and/or multi-links) that locate and direct motion and define alignment. The fact that both designs wrap the spring around the damper is a red herring that can be confusing.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1442239514' post='23746292
BTW, all 4 corners are called "struts" for our cars. See here: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/d...ocksstruts.cfm
The S2000 does not use the McPherson strut design on any corner. We have unequal-length double-A-arm designs at all four corners. Don't confuse a "coilover shock" design with a strut design. Struts are used to locate wheel position and direct motion (and therefore define alignment), in addition to resisting and damping motion. Coilover-shocks merely resist and damp motion and are applied to designs where there are separate upper and lower arms (and/or multi-links) that locate and direct motion and define alignment. The fact that both designs wrap the spring around the damper is a red herring that can be confusing.
I was always taught that if it was a structural part of the car, it's a strut. Im ready for my tar and feathering sir I guess if you can disassemble the coilover, knock the perch off, all you are left with is a shock. If that's how the technical definition goes, I stand firmly corrected.

Quick Reply: BEST S2000 SUSPENSION?