S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Brake pedal feel

Old 06-09-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 7sins2000
Yes there is an adjustment to the pedal, I would also reccomend SS brake lines to get rid of some of the squish.
stainless steel lines make an extremely small difference under normal braking. you'd probably not be able to tell the difference.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:09 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

It travels a few inches before I have ANY brake input or pedal resistance at all.
Really? A few inches?! The pedal only moves a few inches before it hits the floor.

There's some slack built into the system and some can be safely removed. Get under the dashboard with your flash light and press the brake pedal with your little finger (that's all it takes). You should see the pedal contact the aft end of the master cylinder and then the master cylinder start to move. The distance the pedal has to move before it starts to move the master cylinder can be shortened if needed. There are complete threads on this.

-- Chuck
Old 06-10-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Really? A few inches?! The pedal only moves a few inches before it hits the floor.

There's some slack built into the system and some can be safely removed. Get under the dashboard with your flash light and press the brake pedal with your little finger (that's all it takes). You should see the pedal contact the aft end of the master cylinder and then the master cylinder start to move. The distance the pedal has to move before it starts to move the master cylinder can be shortened if needed. There are complete threads on this.

-- Chuck
Alas every google search on S2000 brake pedal adjustment comes up with either unrelated information or clutch pedal adjustment. I just wanted to make sure before I fiddle with something.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:39 AM

I recall the magic tool is a 14m open end wrench to back out the lock nut. Adjust the rod with your fingers (only) until it just touches the piston. A mm slack is better than pushing the piston. A wearable "head" light helps to keep both hands free. Hardest part is getting out from under the dashboard.

-- Chuck
Old 06-12-2017, 06:36 PM

I recall the magic tool is a 14m open end wrench to back out the lock nut. Adjust the rod with your fingers (only) until it just touches the piston. A mm slack is better than pushing the piston. A wearable "head" light helps to keep both hands free. Hardest part is getting out from under the dashboard.

-- Chuck
I'll test this out to see if it can correct the problem. If not is it possible for the master cylinder to wear out enough to have an inch or two of travel that has no effect on braking whatsoever?
Old 06-13-2017, 04:48 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

MY?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:21 AM

If the pedal rod is touching the end of the piston you should start getting resistance to more pedal pressure (use your fingers). Ya don't get any brake pressure until there's resistance to pushing the cylinder piston. Air in the system is a major suspect.

-- Chuck
Old 06-13-2017, 05:24 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Consider it's the pads? I know when I ran carbotechs the pedal was rather squishy. When I switched to Hawk DTCs it was a lot firmer, but the pad material was definitely the cause in my case.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
MY?

If the pedal rod is touching the end of the piston you should start getting resistance to more pedal pressure (use your fingers). Ya don't get any brake pressure until there's resistance to pushing the cylinder piston. Air in the system is a major suspect.

-- Chuck
It has been bled 4 times now with no change in pedal feel.

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Consider it's the pads? I know when I ran carbotechs the pedal was rather squishy. When I switched to Hawk DTCs it was a lot firmer, but the pad material was definitely the cause in my case.
I'm running the Hawk Street/Race pad which is pretty much a DTC-30 pad.

There is about two inches of pedal travel that equate to virtually no brake response. Then the pedal firms up like a normal pedal and it is rock solid with very good modulation. I need that dead space to go away.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:41 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Bmc recall?

Quick Reply: Brake pedal feel