S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Challenge Comp + Coilover Review

Old 11-02-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Challenge Comp + Coilover Review

At the beginning of this past season I purchased a new set of Challenge Coilovers from GT Motoring. I chose the lightweight aluminum version and was able to specify custom spring rates to match my suspension needs. Having previously autocrossed my car A Stock, I upgraded from a set of Koni Yellows and stock springs. In this post, I will share my thoughts on the GT Motoring’s new product after having run a Time Trial season and done the daily commute for half a year on them.

Install:
The installation was pretty easy. Unlike when I installed the Konis, there was no messing around with spring compressors or transferring top hats. The Challenge coilovers came ready to go out of the box. The toughest part for me was undoing all my seized suspension bolts, having rusted over driving the car through many a snowy winter here!

The quality of the coilovers is spot on. The aluminum version looked great; I almost regretted putting them in the car where no one would be able to see them. All the necessary hardware was included and everything lined up perfectly the first time. You might think this should be a given, but I had to do a lot of finagling to get the Konis to fit.

Freshly Unpacked:

Once they were in, I adjusted the ride height to approximately where I wanted and then corner balanced the car. At this point, double check to make sure the shock adjustments are in the correct place. I forgot this step before I went out on the track for the first time (shortly after installation), but fortunately they were all set symmetrically from the factory.

Coilovers In and ready to come down from the jack stands:

Adjustments:
The Challenge coilovers have a threaded body and are fully adjustable in ride height and preload (no helper springs were required). This is easily done using the included spanner wrenches. After loosening the nut at the bottom fork, the coilover threads in and out of the fork while spinning freely in the top hat. The shock has a single adjustment, with about 15 clicks, that simultaneously controls low speed compression and rebound. It accomplishes this in a monobody configuration for both the front and rear.

I purposely chose this shock because of these properties. While the rules for Redline Time Attack are pretty open, the NASA Time Trial rules add points to shocks for more adjustments and external or piggyback reservoirs. This set comes in at the minimum point penalty under the NASA rules. If you are building a car to a different set of rules, a body with more adjustments could add value if you have the ability to set them properly. However, the single adjustment on these does take out a lot of the guesswork.

Road Impressions:
As I mentioned, I daily drive my car. When I purchased the coilovers, however, I wanted an uncompromising solution for Time Trial and Time Attack. I about tripled the stiffness over the stock rates. I was prepared for a rough ride to work. I figured in the worst case scenario, I could always switch out the suspension for every track weekend like I do with the wing, hardtop, and brakes.

Was I ever surprised when the suspension rode better than the stock springs over the Konis. The Challenge units provide extra stiffness through the springs but are have properly matched high speed damping for these increased rates, thereby allowing the shocks to do their job of absorbing the vibrations. The lower unsprung weight that the aluminum versions offer further increases the shock's response.

Track results:
The same properties that made these such a pleasure to drive on the street translated directly to the track. Mainly as a function of the stiffer spring rates, the transitional response was improved. In addition, the car was much flatter all around the track, during corner, acceleration, and braking.

Before (excessive body roll):

After (flat):

The superior damping helps to keep the tires in better contact with the road surface. The difference was especially noticeable over curbing, where the harsh shaking I used to experience has been replaced with a subdued rumbling. The extra traction here helped me use more of the track this season! The additional camber I was able to dial in during the alignment after lowering the car helped me put even more tire on the road in the corners.

Before installing the coilovers, I had set my fastest lap of 1:12.8 at Gateway International, my home track, at the beginning of the 2008 season during a hotlap of a NASA Time Trial session. Having run Gateway often and squeezed most of the time out of it, that personal record stood for a year and a half. Then late this season I returned with the coilovers to instruct an HPDE. Despite running without the pressure of competition, I was finally able to beat that record with a 1:11.9.

Conclusion
The Challenge coilovers are a great package for those that are on a budget or trying to meet Time Trial / Racing class requirements. There are shocks out there with more adjustments, but you won't find them in a coilover of this quality for anywhere near this price. They deliver performance on the track despite actually being quite manageable for daily driving. From ordering to installing to setup it was a very hassle free experience that led to a measurable drop in my lap times.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet review, ive been thinking about either these or the hks hypermax
Old 11-02-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the GT MOTORING guys!!! I purchase things from them also. Great customer service and very nice products!!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:30 PM

great review, i'd been debating on shooting for these
Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very cool. Thanks for the review.

Btw, Konis actually have a lot softer compression than the factory shocks.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by F22PwrdS2K,Nov 2 2009, 06:35 PM
for the GT MOTORING guys!!! I purchase things from them also. Great customer service and very nice products!!
Agreed, and nice review.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you guys appreciate the review. Let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer.

Originally Posted by FISH22,Nov 2 2009, 07:52 PM
Btw, Konis actually have a lot softer compression than the factory shocks.
After you and another member pointed this out, I did some more research. Looks like its the rebound settings that were giving me trouble instead of the compression, which does show as softer than stock on the dyno graphs. Thanks for the pointing it out, I fixed that section.

The ultimate benefit is that the shocks have proper valving to support the stiffer springs
Old 11-04-2009, 01:33 PM

great review...i was looking into these
Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the review. At 101k miles and counting, my S gets new suspension next spring, and I'll definitely give these a serious look.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:20 AM

lol the before and after look switched but i think its the turn or angle

Quick Reply: Challenge Comp + Coilover Review