S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Challenge Comp + Coilover Review

Old 01-11-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks Greg. Same questions you answered in your other thread, and your answers were spot on, well, what I was hoping you would say Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

adrs2k, the shocks have about 16 clicks on them. With my setup, I generally run 5 or 6 from softest on the street. At the track I'll usually turn up much stiffer, maybe 12 and 10 front and rear respectively.

My butt dyno is not refined enough to tell the difference between each click, but there certainly seems to be a difference between my street settings and track settings. I still do play around with them throughout the day based on how the car feels, but can't honestly say whether that tenth I picked up or last was from shocks or driving.

If you are comfortable with shock setup, I think there is definite value in having multiple independent adjustments. However, to get multiple adjustments at this price point, I think you would need to sacrifice on the quality of the coilover.

Sorry for the delay, I'll subscribe to the thread so I can respond quicker in the future. Also feel free to PM me any questions!

David
Old 01-13-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

David, Thanks for your input. I am really drawn to these coilovers for a couple reasons. One of which you answered right away. It is there adjustment range. You use roughly half of the available dampening force on the street, compared to what you use on the track. That is the way it should be wth a properly valved and shimmed coilover. Greg's response on his RTA settings were about the same as yours. Nothing close to maxxing out the adjustability. Most aftermarket systems that I have encountered, or talked to their owners about run at almost the max stiffness. That tells me that there is not enough adjustability. There is no way you can comfortably run a "race track" setup on the street. Valving makes all the difference, and is what seperates a properly engineered and tested coilover versus in my mind a "cheap" coilover.

Until these Challenge Coilovers came along I do not think there was a very good single adjustable system on the market. I was preparing to go with the KW 3, but now I am seeing some very good reviews, and track proof that these are the real deal.

It takes a very experienced driver to be able to fully tell the difference between one or two clicks. I do agree that for the money, these probably can't be beat. They aren't cheap either, but I think they are very reasonably priced. I am looking to pick up a set in the next couple of weeks. Will mostly see DD duties for now, but I will be looking into getting to the track soon.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more feed backs? Recently picked up a set of challenge comp coils with 10k spring rates, can anyone direct me to a review regarding these coils, thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone?