S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

coilerovers for approx $1,200

Old 08-30-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

You don't need stiff springs unless you have aero, etc etc.

For an otherwise stock S2000 (with tires/brake pads), the PSS/9 spring rates work well...and the shock provides good control for transitions.

Bilsteins or Ohlins can make the car a bit faster than the stock suspension as they sit. Both will improve confidence and feel and maybe make the car easier to drive, which will help you go faster. And yes...the Öhlins will magnify that "goodass feeling" (my technical phrase).

But even then...neither are likely going to shave a *few* seconds off by themselves. And at that level....an off the shelf Bilstein car isn't going to be inherently faster/slower than an Öhlins car.

This is my experience.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
For an otherwise stock S2000 (with tires/brake pads), the PSS/9 spring rates work well...and the shock provides good control for transitions.
From a Bilstein point of view agree with B. I bought mine with the view of having a close to stock performing shock. I was undoing the previous owners 'low riding + hella flush' mistakes and i did not have the option of buying stock shocks that would make financial sense. I got the PSS9 and i am happy with them. They have let me understand the car's behaviours and from there i am learning. I would of loved the opportunity to track on stock suspension.

Not sure if you a preparing for your first event or not but i highly recommend you go with stock shocks. Change your fluids, pads, buy some nice tyres, go get an alignment done and go and have fun. Learn the track and its lines and then come back and then ask yourself 'What is making me feel not confident to drive harder?' Then start looking for a solution. I think you are looking for a solution without really having a problem to solve.

Additionally having coilovers adds a lot more variables to think about when trying to answer that question. Keep it simple, alignment changes are difficult enough to learn as is.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:23 PM

^^
Old 08-31-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done my share of HPDEs in the past in various BMWs with stock and aftermarket suspension, both c/o systems and lowering springs w/ upgraded shocks. I like having the option to stiffen up or soften the ride quality and I would like to lower the car a little. Camber adjustments can help tailor to a driver's style as well. My approach isn't to throw an unlimited budget at my car, but rather make subtle improvements for daily driving and the occasional track day event. Considering I already have 90K mi on the OEM suspension, adding new components should be an improvement.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Why is there no love for the HKS hypermax IV? They were only mentioned once in this thread.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fortune auto I feel are pretty good bang for the buck.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by L8BRAKN
I've done my share of HPDEs in the past in various BMWs with stock and aftermarket suspension, both c/o systems and lowering springs w/ upgraded shocks. I like having the option to stiffen up or soften the ride quality and I would like to lower the car a little. Camber adjustments can help tailor to a driver's style as well. My approach isn't to throw an unlimited budget at my car, but rather make subtle improvements for daily driving and the occasional track day event. Considering I already have 90K mi on the OEM suspension, adding new components should be an improvement.
There are no suspensions available for the S2000 that have camber adjustment.

You can't adjust camber with the shock mount on a double wishbone car.

The car has factory camber adjusters underneath the car, at the LCA's. As well as toe and front caster adjusters.

You need an entire alignment when you adjust camber. You don't want to do a camber adjustment by itself, trackside, if that's what your goal was. Camber adjustment on virtually any vehicle will also result in other angles changing because of geometry.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have hpde experience and you are on rs3s or stickier, you will want more spring rate then you get from the pss. If you want springs around 500-600lb, adjustable damping and not complete crap. Koni/gc is a great setup. Maybe look into fa500 also.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:47 AM

Tein Monosport is a little more than $1200 ($1500?), but those would likely be a good choice as well.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Tein Monosports are pretty good, I've ridden in a car with them. Not too sure about how long they last but they certainly perform well. Some shocks in that price range get overwhelmed especially with hard continuous turns with bumps. The HKS hipermax GT are also decent around that price point.

Quick Reply: coilerovers for approx $1,200