S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Considering return to stock suspension

Old 12-04-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering return to stock suspension

Considering returning to stock suspension. I have a MY03 with Koni shocks and CR springs, front sway bar (don't know the brand, something aftermarket-it's red) and front strut bar (bought the car this way). Like ride height but ride is too rough and there is a bit of drive steer. I don't track it and only drive it for leisure. I have the stock suspension which has about 90k on it. Is there any benefit to switching to a stock suspension from a later year or are the AP1 shocks fairly comfortable? Thinking I might want to keep the CR springs. Thoughts? Should I switch the sway bar back to stock also for better comfort? Thanks in advance
Old 12-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Buy a completely new set for your year. What tire sizes are you riding on
Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you could do a mix-n-match of your oe and CR springs with the konis on the lower perch to get the slightly lower ride height you desire with the handling change you desire. I'm not familiar with term "drive steer" though. The red anti-roll bar is eibach. Are you on stock staggered wheels or a square setup?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you'll find the OE and CR spring and ARB rates here
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/818...nsion-springs/

eibach ARB info here
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/822...y-bars-review/
Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If you drive for leisure, the stock suspension is shockingly good (pun intended).
Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by jst2878
Buy a completely new set for your year. What tire sizes are you riding on
Not sure the tire sizes off the top of my head. I'll go double check later. The wheels are AP2v1's, so I'd imagine whatever the stock size for those is what's on it.

Originally Posted by billios996
you could do a mix-n-match of your oe and CR springs with the konis on the lower perch to get the slightly lower ride height you desire with the handling change you desire. I'm not familiar with term "drive steer" though. The red anti-roll bar is eibach. Are you on stock staggered wheels or a square setup?
Good point. I might be using the wrong term, but by drive steer, I mean that the car can come times pull a but on the hard side unexpectedly if the road surface changes. Thanks for the id on the bar. Stock staggered ap2v1s.

Originally Posted by billios996
you'll find the OE and CR spring and ARB rates here
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/818...nsion-springs/

eibach ARB info here
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/822...y-bars-review/
Thanks ^

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
If you drive for leisure, the stock suspension is shockingly good (pun intended).
Ap1 or ap2? I know there are technical differences. I had an ap2 before and know that was pretty smooth. I haven't spent much time behind the wheel of an ap1 with a stock suspension.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I went from stock 2002 spring & shocks to CR springs and Koni. The ride barely changes, if not better, mostly due to the Koni shocks. You should keep the current combo; I like the balance of the CR spring bias.

The Koni shocks ride better over bumps, for sure. They also have more low speed damping, so transitions like braking or swerving don't upset the car the way stock shocks do.

I ended up going back to stock springs (keeping Koni) just to stay legal in my autocross class.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would try changing the rebound adjustments on the konis. The Koni sports have a digressive compression valving curve, that can improve the ride/handling over the stock showa shocks. The Koni are on par with the quality of the oem shocks but with better valving. You may actually take a step down in the ride department by going stock.

Try running the Konis closer to full soft. If you start to get to many oscillations, stiffen them a little.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Honda made annual (?) suspension/wheel/tire changes during the production life of the S2000. I can only assume these were improvements and the '04 suspension was at least incrementally better than the '03 etc. If you have your stock suspension just re-fit it, otherwise look for a complete set (including wheels if yours are different) from '03 or later.

-- Chuck
Old 12-06-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by hai1206vn
I went from stock 2002 spring & shocks to CR springs and Koni. The ride barely changes, if not better, mostly due to the Koni shocks. You should keep the current combo; I like the balance of the CR spring bias.

The Koni shocks ride better over bumps, for sure. They also have more low speed damping, so transitions like braking or swerving don't upset the car the way stock shocks do.

I ended up going back to stock springs (keeping Koni) just to stay legal in my autocross class.
I'm going to play with the adjustments and keep them on for now. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
I would try changing the rebound adjustments on the konis. The Koni sports have a digressive compression valving curve, that can improve the ride/handling over the stock showa shocks. The Koni are on par with the quality of the oem shocks but with better valving. You may actually take a step down in the ride department by going stock.

Try running the Konis closer to full soft. If you start to get to many oscillations, stiffen them a little.
I will give this a try first. Least amount of effort involved! Lol. I guess it's just set firmer now. I hadn't thought to adjust. I didn't think it would actually make that much of a difference. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Considering return to stock suspension