S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Cusco Front Sway Bar Bushing Fitment Not Flush

Old 06-26-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cusco Front Sway Bar Bushing Fitment Not Flush

I purchased a Cusco FSB from GoTuning a couple months ago and have issues with the bushings not fitting properly. After contacting GoTuning, it seems that I got the correct bushing from Cusco (they confirmed it was correct, and the bushing itself has the 32mm marking on it, and I measured it as well). However, the bushing looks like it is being squished when tightened down like in the photos below. I tried reinstalling it again recently, and found that before tightening the bracket down, everything fit pretty well. However, it seems that because the bracket is meant for the stock bar, it is a little too small for the added thickness/girth of the thicker bar and bushing. So when the bracket is tightened all the way, the bushing deforms (if that makes sense). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I was thinking maybe a small spacer between the bracket and the frame would work

\

Thanks in advance
Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Are you sure you put the one that came with it on? That looks pretty dirty for a brand new bushing. I have the same stabilizer bar and I never had that issue with the bushings that came with it. I've since switched to Prothane poly bushings and will have to check that I didn't accidentally toss the ones that came with it.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
Are you sure you put the one that came with it on? That looks pretty dirty for a brand new bushing. I have the same stabilizer bar and I never had that issue with the bushings that came with it. I've since switched to Prothane poly bushings and will have to check that I didn't accidentally toss the ones that came with it.
Yeah, 100% positive - the picture wasn't taken when I put it on brand new, it was taken after the fact. There's no way the stock bushing would have fit on that 32mm bar.

Do you have more information about which prothane bushing you got? Did you just get their universal bushings for sway bars? Greasable/nongreasable? They look similar to energy suspension but the website is hard to navigate
Old 06-26-2015, 03:07 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by wowwitsgau
Originally Posted by Fokker' timestamp='1435345191' post='23661813
Yeah, 100% positive - the picture wasn't taken when I put it on brand new, it was taken after the fact. There's no way the stock bushing would have fit on that 32mm bar.

Do you have more information about which prothane bushing you got? Did you just get their universal bushings for sway bars? Greasable/nongreasable? They look similar to energy suspension but the website is hard to navigate
I purchased these: Prothane 19-1188-BL Black 32 mm Universal Greasable Sway Bar Bushing They work perfectly and were easy to install.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Could they be in upside down?
Old 06-26-2015, 10:44 PM
Community Organizer

There isn't a way to install them upside down.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
The bushing is being pressed apart. It is either that the bracket is pushing it against the mount causing the 'squish', or the bar is. The bracket should keep in place.

Have you tried loosening the bracket, disconnecting the bar from the lower A-arms, and retightening the brackets making sure they are pressed open? If necessary, a reinforced tape or wire could be used to hold them closed while tightening the bracket but it shouldn't be necessary.

Is it possible the bar is bent causing ti to push the bushing open?

Is the bar centered? All the pictures are from the driver's side. Is the bushing ok on the passenger side? If the bar isn't centered it is possible that bend on the end is starting in or before the bushing causing the problem.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:36 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Originally Posted by Fokker' timestamp='1435387446' post='23662338
The bushing is being pressed apart. It is either that the bracket is pushing it against the mount causing the 'squish', or the bar is. The bracket should keep in place.
You still can't install them upside down. You can install it incorrectly front to back, but there is no "upside" to these bushings.

These are the front bar bushings and factory brackets. I had no pinching issues when I was using them.