S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb
View Poll Results: How long for new springs to "settle"
Quick spirited drive around the block
43.48%
Drive it for a few days
13.04%
At least 2 weeks
43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have evidence that coilovers need time to settle?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by thanasis11
I made a deal out of this in my office (full of mechanical engineering and materials science graduate students including 2 people writing their thesis on vehicle dynamics). even though most people dont have direct experience with vehicle dynamics the consensus was that there should be no sagging if the spring is manufactured properly. All other components should remain at the same dimensions as after installation and loading of the coilover (the weight of the car and proper preload). if something deforms (sag, settling etc) then that is a flaw.
Fatigue life needs to be taken into consideration also. Though a material is not taken to its yield point does not mean that it is not being fatigued and weakened. Back to my initial thought on annealing. If the spring was cold formed, there may be residue internal stress that is relieved with moderate heat application. Maybe even if the spring were formed hot, there may be some residue internal stresses after air quenching. That's the best I can figure.

Back to fatigue life. Car chassis get fatigued after time and less stiff. Military aircraft, especially fighter aircraft have fatigue life limits. The frames aren't stressed to yield, but repeated stress application causes them to get softer over time. I was doing my senior project with Lockheed and had some pretty interesting conversations with the engineers there. He said you could tell when a pilot had really beat on the plane by pulling lots of high G turns as sometimes the airframes would be junk afterwards. Also, the planes gain weight over time as they are repainted often. Just another tidbit I found interesting.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmrado
Dampers don't settle, period.

I'm going to bet that most of the settling effects are caused by people not relieving the preload in their bushings when making changes to the suspension, primarily ride height. Also, the lateral grip of the tires can hold the chassis at a slightly elevated height when taking the car off jack stands. Rolling it in and out of the garage will negate that effect.
I preloaded the bushings and drove it around a week before the CB and its dropped over 1/4" somethings given way
Old 05-31-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Originally Posted by thanasis11' timestamp='1306862360' post='20634167
I made a deal out of this in my office (full of mechanical engineering and materials science graduate students including 2 people writing their thesis on vehicle dynamics). even though most people dont have direct experience with vehicle dynamics the consensus was that there should be no sagging if the spring is manufactured properly. All other components should remain at the same dimensions as after installation and loading of the coilover (the weight of the car and proper preload). if something deforms (sag, settling etc) then that is a flaw.
Fatigue life needs to be taken into consideration also. Though a material is not taken to its yield point does not mean that it is not being fatigued and weakened. Back to my initial thought on annealing. If the spring was cold formed, there may be residue internal stress that is relieved with moderate heat application. Maybe even if the spring were formed hot, there may be some residue internal stresses after air quenching. That's the best I can figure.

Back to fatigue life. Car chassis get fatigued after time and less stiff. Military aircraft, especially fighter aircraft have fatigue life limits. The frames aren't stressed to yield, but repeated stress application causes them to get softer over time. I was doing my senior project with Lockheed and had some pretty interesting conversations with the engineers there. He said you could tell when a pilot had really beat on the plane by pulling lots of high G turns as sometimes the airframes would be junk afterwards. Also, the planes gain weight over time as they are repainted often. Just another tidbit I found interesting.
Fatigue life goes back to manufacturing and quality. A spring that will fatigue after a few hundred thousand cycles (a few days of driving) was not manufactured properly. On the other hand I can understand my springs sagging after several years of use because of fatigue.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:05 PM

Fatigue life goes back to manufacturing and quality. A spring that will fatigue after a few hundred thousand cycles (a few days of driving) was not manufactured properly. On the other hand I can understand my springs sagging after several years of use because of fatigue.
So I guess we can come to a conclusion that some springs will 'settle' more than others due to different manufacturing processes and material quality. Now only if that information were easy to come by for each manufacturer of springs
Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Originally Posted by thanasis11' timestamp='1306873868' post='20634935
So I guess we can come to a conclusion that some springs will 'settle' more than others due to different manufacturing processes and material quality. Now only if that information were easy to come by for each manufacturer of springs
well a properly made spring should not sag/settle at all especially when its new. now go put 70,000 miles on it and it might start sagging. with 500 miles the difference will be immeasurable.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 PM

http://www.eatonspri...ingsettling.htm

this is the most credible link I could find regarding our conversation guys straight from Eaton, a spring manufacturer, they make leaf springs rather than coil springs but the concept is exactly the same. This basically reiterates what I have been saying.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock don't need to be aligned as it was machine built to a required specification but it will slightly settle as the vehicles shipped to the dealer all contain a rubber piece holding in between each rings of the springs. Thanasis, if you don't believe it "needs" time to settle (not sag nor fatigue life), drive it 2 more weeks - 1 month and you shall see. You already did an alignment on your brand new hand swapped suspension which clearly already prove that you don't believe in this matter. This is not a complex question for you to go into detail with engineering mind set and science to prove a fact. My PSS9 did, just as other coilovers I have helped install from BC, Megan, KW to Teins.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hoang
Stock don't need to be aligned as it was machine built to a required specification but it will slightly settle as the vehicles shipped to the dealer all contain a rubber piece holding in between each rings of the springs. Thanasis, if you don't believe it "needs" time to settle (not sag nor fatigue life), drive it 2 more weeks - 1 month and you shall see. You already did an alignment on your brand new hand swapped suspension which clearly already prove that you don't believe in this matter. This is not a complex question for you to go into detail with engineering mind set and science to prove a fact. My PSS9 did, just as other coilovers I have helped install from BC, Megan, KW to Teins.
So you are saying that the Teins will sag because they are not machine built to a require specification? What about valve springs? Do my valves sit lower after 500 miles of changing valve springs?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 AM

So you are saying that the Teins will sag because they are not machine built to a require specification? What about valve springs? Do my valves sit lower after 500 miles of changing valve springs?
Not sure valve springs are a good analogy. No one is going to complain if the valve springs are initally overly stiff and then soften up to specification for creating the proper seat pressure.

At the end of the day, we as end users have no control over how the springs are manufactured or to what specifications. The best we can do is to determine which spring companies do produce the best springs according to our metrics or values we set on parameters we determine important. From what many of us have seen from experience, many if not most springs have an initial settling period.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:51 PM

im done with this argument. let your springs sag. in the universe that i live in they dont thank god.

Quick Reply: Do you have evidence that coilovers need time to settle?