S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Good Strut for CR Springs on AP1

Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Good Strut for CR Springs on AP1

Ive been reading through threads for the past few weeks on the different combinations of struts/sways for CR springs. I see lots of different opinions but I didnt see anything that answers my specific question.

I am looking for a good strut to match to a CR spring combination on a 2001 stock AP1. Ive purchased CR springs and Im looking to pick up a CR rear sway bar. Can I use the CR springs on my 01' struts? If not, can we still get the CR struts or am I stuck with Koni Yellows? Has anyone tried this combination and, if so, how did they find it?

Are there any issues with this planned setup?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 948 Posts

Your stock shocks will work as long as they're in good shape.

Koni yellows will work well also.

are CR shocks available?
www.bernardiparts.com

Your other (probably better) option would be a set of Bilstein PSS or PSS9.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:18 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JonC
Ive been reading through threads for the past few weeks on the different combinations of struts/sways for CR springs. I see lots of different opinions but I didnt see anything that answers my specific question.

I am looking for a good strut to match to a CR spring combination on a 2001 stock AP1. Ive purchased CR springs and Im looking to pick up a CR rear sway bar. Can I use the CR springs on my 01' struts? If not, can we still get the CR struts or am I stuck with Koni Yellows? Has anyone tried this combination and, if so, how did they find it?

Are there any issues with this planned setup?

Thanks in advance.
I don't recommend CR springs on any other OE dampers, for two reasons. First, they are so much stiffer (esp the fronts) that they will be underdamped, degrading both ride and handling. Second, each OE damper's piston-rod length is matched to its particular OE spring, in order to achieve the stock ride height when assembled and installed. So, although CR springs will fit any OE shock, the stiffer rate will raise the ride height, in some cases quite significantly.

I can recommend (from personal experience) matched CR springs and dampers on an AP1. If you can't find some reasonably low-miles used dampers, new OE dampers are, as of this writing, still available for all models and years. (New springs are not all available, but used springs are fine - the phenomenon of "spring sag" is a myth.) Otherwise, any quality aftermarket damper should be able to handle the CR springs (which are, after all, still relatively soft compared to most aftermarket setups).
Old 04-15-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by twohoos
I don't recommend CR springs on any other OE dampers, for two reasons. First, they are so much stiffer (esp the fronts) that they will be underdamped, degrading both ride and handling. Second, each OE damper's piston-rod length is matched to its particular OE spring, in order to achieve the stock ride height when assembled and installed. So, although CR springs will fit any OE shock, the stiffer rate will raise the ride height, in some cases quite significantly.

I can recommend (from personal experience) matched CR springs and dampers on an AP1. If you can't find some reasonably low-miles used dampers, new OE dampers are, as of this writing, still available for all models and years. (New springs are not all available, but used springs are fine - the phenomenon of "spring sag" is a myth.) Otherwise, any quality aftermarket damper should be able to handle the CR springs (which are, after all, still relatively soft compared to most aftermarket setups).
Thank you for the information.