S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Hawk HP Plus Squeal

Old 07-05-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I have had great success with permatex ceramic brake lubricant.
dtc30 are silent even after dragon trip and one track day
Old 07-05-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Stoptech Sport pads are cheap and about the closest you can get to a dual duty pad. Lots of dust, but silent, and don't need a ton of heat to come in. I feel like some ducting will make them good for about a full session on track.

XP10/XP8s don't really handle much heat, and are pricey. I've been in probably a dozen cars plus with that combo and they were juddery as hell because they had been overtemped at some point.

Besides, stock S2000 brakes run the rears hotter than the front, so use the same compound front and rear at a minimum.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

New pads that are not bed properly will squeal. Bed pads usually don't squeak but it depends on the compound.

As as far as ur pad goes that's very normal. Squeak when he pad is new then no squeak when the pads r broken in.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by DefSport
Stoptech Sport pads are cheap and about the closest you can get to a dual duty pad. Lots of dust, but silent, and don't need a ton of heat to come in. I feel like some ducting will make them good for about a full session on track.

XP10/XP8s don't really handle much heat, and are pricey. I've been in probably a dozen cars plus with that combo and they were juddery as hell because they had been overtemped at some point.

Besides, stock S2000 brakes run the rears hotter than the front, so use the same compound front and rear at a minimum.

^I definitely agree with your assesment of Stoptech Sports, and I've said the same for a long time. As close as it gets to a dual duty pad.

I haven't, however, had any issues with my XP8/10/12 with respect to heat or leaving deposits. Were yours properly bedded?

Originally Posted by arctic_blue83

Someone above me mentioned that these pads are not a "street" pad, or a "track" pad and I would agree with that assessment. They're definitely more of an autoX compound. Great initial bite, with relatively strong stopping power without putting too much heat into them. .
Hey. That was me!

Honestly....my preference for a street pad is ridiculous amounts of bite.

I don't care about rotor/pad life, as long as it exceeds like 10-15K miles. I could probably have them be quiet if I used disc brake quiet. Though...it may get old paying for expensive pads, and buying new rotors every year or so.

The big hold up for me is their corrosive dust. I don't mind dust. I mind stains on my wheels and fenders. My poor ITR was always so covered in brake dust stains.

I don't consider them a good street pad mainly because the dust is corrosive. But partially because of their cost to life span ratio.

Throwing sparks all over the place during heavy braking is kinda cool, I suppose. lol
Old 07-06-2017, 07:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I too have had no issues with XP10 or XP8 on track. Have put a few local s2k customers on these as well and they're quite happy with them. The XP8 isn't too loud on the street either. I'd consider it streetable, though just barely.

I'm a big fan of the stoptechs. Cheap, can take quite a bit of heat, has good torque. I actually prefer them to the HP+.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
^I definitely agree with your assesment of Stoptech Sports, and I've said the same for a long time. As close as it gets to a dual duty pad.

I haven't, however, had any issues with my XP8/10/12 with respect to heat or leaving deposits. Were yours properly bedded?

Yes, i severely over temped XP8s up front on a 300 rwhp S13 with 300ZX brakes. This was a long time ago, about 15 yrs so maybe they got reformulated in that time, but once was enough for me. Not near enough pad, and I've ridden in at least a dozen cars with XP8s or 10s up front that over temped them. They really do not tolerate going over their max temp and immediately smear.

The dtc pads don't do the same in my experience after running through about a dozen sets.

Stoptech Sports can tolerate going over temp and just lose brake torque. I got them hot enough in the rear to let go and I was on full ABS up front to barely get her slowed down. But it took 20 mins of hard beating with weak tires (lots more slowing required), so that was pretty extreme for a streetable pad. A cool down lap and they were back for the rest of the session.