S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Pad for street

Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 1,272 Likes on 961 Posts

They don't bend unless your hubs are bent or you torqued your lug nuts with a jackhammer or you dropped your car on them.

Splashing a puddle in Florida doesn't bend a rotor. Cars are not that fragile or nobody would drive them.

Your pads probably are a ceramic compound. They likely got too hot and smeared themselves all over the rotor. That causes vibration. Resurfacing only fixes it temporarily.

Buy new rotors. New rotors are under $20 on Amazon and Rockauto. Raybestos or Centric...whatever.

Buy pads that don't suck.

MOST commonly available ceramic pads are garbage.

Unfortunately, you want low dust (not sure why). You could open up a world of excellent, inexpensive pad choices if you were OK with some dust.

If you are stuck on low dust pads...then, yes, the Powerstop Z line works fairly well. I would probably opt for the Z26. They're like Z23's but with a better coating or something? Idk.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
They don't bend unless your hubs are bent or you torqued your lug nuts with a jackhammer or you dropped your car on them.

Splashing a puddle in Florida doesn't bend a rotor. Cars are not that fragile or nobody would drive them.

Your pads probably are a ceramic compound. They likely got too hot and smeared themselves all over the rotor. That causes vibration. Resurfacing only fixes it temporarily.

Buy new rotors. New rotors are under $20 on Amazon and Rockauto. Raybestos or Centric...whatever.

Buy pads that don't suck.

MOST commonly available ceramic pads are garbage.

Unfortunately, you want low dust (not sure why). You could open up a world of excellent, inexpensive pad choices if you were OK with some dust.

If you are stuck on low dust pads...then, yes, the Powerstop Z line works fairly well. I would probably opt for the Z26. They're like Z23's but with a better coating or something? Idk.
Well. I can live with “some dust.” I just don’t want a pad that put my wheels like crap.
Will check on the discs because I have never seen them for $20.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gmcuajo
Well. I can live with “some dust.” I just don’t want a pad that put my wheels like crap.
Will check on the discs because I have never seen them for $20.

check on rockauto.

Here is my thought process on brake dust:
As you stated...it rains 8 days of the week in FL.

If the wheels get dirty in the 2 hours between rain storms...maybe its not really a big deal?

The whole car gets dirty when it rains. Usually, when I clean the car, I clean the wheels too...

My personal solution for dusty wheels is to just not look at them. ZERO dust that way.

I won't recommend any pads that will stain your wheels. I use pads that create dust....but it washes right off. Is that something you'd be interested in?

Are you actually planning on tracking the car? Or just driving it kinda hard on the street?

Just asking so that you can get a recommendation that actually works for you.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
check on rockauto.

Here is my thought process on brake dust:
As you stated...it rains 8 days of the week in FL.

If the wheels get dirty in the 2 hours between rain storms...maybe its not really a big deal?

The whole car gets dirty when it rains. Usually, when I clean the car, I clean the wheels too...

My personal solution for dusty wheels is to just not look at them. ZERO dust that way.

I won't recommend any pads that will stain your wheels. I use pads that create dust....but it washes right off. Is that something you'd be interested in?

Are you actually planning on tracking the car? Or just driving it kinda hard on the street?

Just asking so that you can get a recommendation that actually works for you.
I don’t go to track. Only street. Only drive car on Fridays and weekend, often a few miles. But yes, often hit the gas and am a bit hard on brake if needed.

If there is the opportunity for a track day I may go.

Dust. Well not crazy about dust. But some pads stain the wheels pretty bad.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gmcuajo
I don’t go to track. Only street. Only drive car on Fridays and weekend, often a few miles. But yes, often hit the gas and am a bit hard on brake if needed.

If there is the opportunity for a track day I may go.

Dust. Well not crazy about dust. But some pads stain the wheels pretty bad.
Stoptech 309 (sport) will work for hard street use and very light track use. They need to be bedded into the rotors to work properly. Instructions come with the pads.

Stoptech 308 (street) will be better on the street for sure. But they won't really work on the track.