S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Recommend Me Spring Rates for Daily Driven Fortune Auto 500's?

Old 07-13-2014, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommend Me Spring Rates for Daily Driven Fortune Auto 500's?

Hey guys, although I don't plan on purchasing coilovers for several more months, I'd really like to finish my shopping list so I know exactly what I'll be buying.

After reading a ton of reviews both here and on other sites, I've decided that the Fortune Auto 500 series would be the best coilover option for me.

The one thing that I'm getting caught up on is I can't decide what spring rate would be best for me. I've read in a lot of threads that people are running like 12K front/11K rear rates, but I think they spend much more time on the track than I will (probably only a few days out of the year).

The 500's come stock with 9K front/9K rear ratios. Although I'll only be tracking the car a few days out of the year, I'm well into my turbo build so I want the car to be well-planted at 100+MPH. I'm also willing to sacrifice some degree of comfort for performance, even though it's a daily driver.

Let me know what you guys suggest! I'm definitely set on the FA 500's, I just want to fine-tune the details

Edit: I will be running a staggered set-up. Probably 225s or 235s up front and 255's in the rear, at least until I get my fenders rolled.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently got the 500s with the 8k Swift springs and 10k damping rate, I wanted to get a nice comfortable coilover that can handle the terrible roads here. I have LOVED the setup. There's a ton of difference between full soft and full hard, which is nice because some cheaper sets feel the same at full soft and full hard. My setup has seen 1000 miles of the worst roads (Dallas) and I've never been uncomfortable.

I've had 2 track days and seen 120+ speeds and they've always felt planted. The only thing I will say is that I would like them to be a bit stiffer for the track, just a bit too much body roll for my liking.

But all in all this is a GREAT DD setup that can also handle the track. Hope this helped
Old 07-13-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by TheMayan
I recently got the 500s with the 8k Swift springs and 10k damping rate, I wanted to get a nice comfortable coilover that can handle the terrible roads here. I have LOVED the setup. There's a ton of difference between full soft and full hard, which is nice because some cheaper sets feel the same at full soft and full hard. My setup has seen 1000 miles of the worst roads (Dallas) and I've never been uncomfortable.

I've had 2 track days and seen 120+ speeds and they've always felt planted. The only thing I will say is that I would like them to be a bit stiffer for the track, just a bit too much body roll for my liking.

But all in all this is a GREAT DD setup that can also handle the track. Hope this helped
I remember reading your responses to the big FA thread that's in this subforum

I just need to learn more about the different suspension/coil over components and what they do. I've tried watching a few videos and reading about them but a lot of it is still going over my head.

I'm mainly just wondering if it would be better to have a front or rear bias with staggered tires. Most people seem to have a rear bias if their rear tires are larger, but I don't know if that would be best for grip.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the general consensus with a staggered setup is to run equal spring rates front and back? And higher up front on a square set up. I have the fortune auto 500's with swift spring at 12k/12k. I daily drive mine, will be tracking it soon. Mine are kind of bouncy on roads with a lot of ups and downs, dips and all. But they feel amazing in the corners. I would say 10k/10k would probably be good as you dd your car.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by leoxle
Isn't the general consensus with a staggered setup is to run equal spring rates front and back? And higher up front on a square set up. I have the fortune auto 500's with swift spring at 12k/12k. I daily drive mine, will be tracking it soon. Mine are kind of bouncy on roads with a lot of ups and downs, dips and all. But they feel amazing in the corners. I would say 10k/10k would probably be good as you dd your car.
Thanks, I guess I'll just go ahead and go with a square setup.

It seems like people really go every which-way direction with spring rates... Softer up front, softer in rear... Doesn't seem like any one way is entirely "right", I guess a lot of it just depends on how you want to drive the car.

I'll probably just copy you and do the 12K/12K on the springs. I'd rather run the car slightly more on the stiff/uncomfortable side with a small height drop and not have to worry about bouncing around/bottoming out.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah we recommend a square setup. If you are going to do some track time then the 12k|12k is good. Now "leoxle"s setup will feel much different than yours if you're going to use the standard FA springs. Swift springs "feel" softer than standard springs because of less coils and the material that they are made out of. Swifts are great for daily because they are more comfortable and are great for track since they react better and are more compliant in the corners.

Just a recommendation. I would go with the standard 9k|9k or 10k|10k if you want to use just the standard FA springs instead of Swift.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kami Speed
Yeah we recommend a square setup. If you are going to do some track time then the 12k|12k is good. Now "leoxle"s setup will feel much different than yours if you're going to use the standard FA springs. Swift springs "feel" softer than standard springs because of less coils and the material that they are made out of. Swifts are great for daily because they are more comfortable and are great for track since they react better and are more compliant in the corners.

Just a recommendation. I would go with the standard 9k|9k or 10k|10k if you want to use just the standard FA springs instead of Swift.
Thank you very much for the response I think I have my answer now!

Thanks guys!
Old 07-17-2014, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Problem, hope you'll enjoy the FA500's as much as I do! Just a fyi, I bought my set from Kamispeed and I have nothing but good to say about them, I can recommend them in case you were choosing where to buy from!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by leoxle
No Problem, hope you'll enjoy the FA500's as much as I do! Just a fyi, I bought my set from Kamispeed and I have nothing but good to say about them, I can recommend them in case you were choosing where to buy from!
Thanks! We appreciate it
Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The big question here is what are the shocks set up to handle spring rate wise. What is the Valving? Most top of the line shocks come with a Shock Dyno and I will admit that I know little to nothing about Fortune Auto other then they are a time attack group (which my personal opinion of time attack stuff is low). Ideally you need to know what the valving on the shocks can handle because you leave that range in spring rate and the car will handle worse then stock. Generally Good race shocks can easily handle 100lbs in each direction before you need to send em back in and get them re-valved. If you drive it down the road and it feels stiff, then the shocks probably aren't valved very well. We ran Moton's with 1000lbs rear springs and 700lbs front springs on a 911 GT2 in the onelap of america and even with spring rates like that the Moton's dampened the car very well and on the street it felt like stock in not softer.
Very good read on shocks.....
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

From the above site...
"Shock Buyer's Guide

Remember this list:

Bilstein
Penske
Koni
Ohlins
Sachs
Dynamic Suspension

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.

(The reason why JRZ and Moton aren't on the "good" list is simple - I never dynoed any. In the absence of any dyno information one way or the other, I choose to remain silent.)
"

Quick Reply: Recommend Me Spring Rates for Daily Driven Fortune Auto 500's?