S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Review Brembo Big Brake Kit

Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review Brembo Big Brake Kit

This is my first time ever attempting to write up something so here it goes. Trying to build my s2000 I knew I wanted to go with a big brake kit and had to decide between Stoptech, Wilwood or Brembo. Since all the other cars in my company I had upgraded to Brembo's I decided to suck it up and spend the money on the Brembo Gran Turismo Braking pacakge. The kit comes with a four piston Brembo calipers, adapters to fit the caliper to the car properly, two piece brembo rotors, Goodridge Lines and mounting bolts. The directions are self explanatory and include all of the torques necessary to complete the job listed in N * m. In order to install this kit you need to remove the dust shield from the car. Now the numbers that are most interesting are the weights of the brembo calipers vs the stock equipment. I weighed the Brembo caliper along with the mounting bracket, lines and pads and it weighed in at only 7.6 lbs. I then weighed the two piece rotor that has a 328 mm diameter that is also directionally vaned and it weighed in at only 12.0 lbs. After I removed my factory calipers and rotors I drained the brake fluid by fully compressing the caliper piston into the caliper and then replaced the pads back into it. The OEM caliper with Stoptech street pads weighed 11.6 lbs. My Stoptech barely used rotor weighed in at 14.2 lbs. The entire upgrade netted a total weight savings of 12.4 lbs of unsprung weight for both wheels. I haven't had a chance to see how they perform as my head is currently being worked on but the weight savings are amazing! I hope this helps people that might have had questions about this kit that might not have been clarified.

Croc you were right
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

weight savings of the unsprung eight is a holly grail - i'm however didn't feel anything after etin 3R's kit wich saves 8lbs at EACH side.
did you feel a change?

how is the fitment of this kit with a wheel?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 PM

The moment I get to drive it I will let you know how it feels Also I have +15 offset RPF1's and a j's wide body s2000 so it can easily clear. The caliper sticks out further than the factory studs do to give you an idea. Brembo also has a measurement of the dimensions in reference to the rotor that you can find and some how make a template for it to test on wheels.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

whith such wheels i think you could fit anoter small car inside the whell
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Croc
whith such wheels i think you could fit anoter small car inside the whell
check out the picture above! haha
Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 PM

Hey nemesisryder0627, great write up man! I wanna ask you something, and forgive me if this is a dumb question but I really have no idea..

Can you use the factory-sized pads on the Brembo kit, or do you gotta go with something bigger too?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by GTChannelfan_93
Hey nemesisryder0627, great write up man! I wanna ask you something, and forgive me if this is a dumb question but I really have no idea..

Can you use the factory-sized pads on the Brembo kit, or do you gotta go with something bigger too?
No question is a dumb question. From what I have learned about this kit so far is they are larger than oem pads. The caliper that is used is also used in the lotus brembo kit so it is a different caliper then a sti or evo. Since I haven't changed pads yet I haven't looked into what exactly will be needed. I'll be sure to update this thread with that info once I find out exactly which pads you need to order and what options are out there.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 AM

Awesome man, I'd appreciate it if you could
Old 11-20-2013, 04:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More pics of the whole car?

What is the width of the rims?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by clarkster009
More pics of the whole car?

What is the width of the rims?
I might eventually make a build thread for the car but you can see all the steps the car has gone through on my facebook page. It hasn't been updated since i have started to rebuild the motor. The rims are 18x9.5 +15 RPF1's and are the only RPF1 that will clear a BBK without a spacer. They have 265/35-18 Pilot Super Sports on them but I am probably going to switch to a 18x10.5 +15 in the back with a 275 or 285 tire to go back to staggered.

Quick Reply: Review Brembo Big Brake Kit