S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

SBG rear RX-8 caliper BBK installation issue

Old 01-11-2020, 11:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
I assume this is a model year difference. Has anyone installed the SBG kit on a 2006+? I have to assume I'm not the first person to run into this issue, but I can't see any way I could be screwing this up—it just doesn't appear to fit.
I encountered the same issue on my 2006. I ended up fabbing(crudely) a new bracket with some sheet metal I had laying in the garage. Major PITA especially since that area is so tight but felt good coming up with a solution on my own.

I'm not sure it's completely necessary as I had ample slack on the e-brake cable that I don't think the install would have been hindered by keeping the cable in the OEM location at that point.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:01 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
I encountered the same issue on my 2006. I ended up fabbing(crudely) a new bracket with some sheet metal I had laying in the garage. Major PITA especially since that area is so tight but felt good coming up with a solution on my own.

I'm not sure it's completely necessary as I had ample slack on the e-brake cable that I don't think the install would have been hindered by keeping the cable in the OEM location at that point.
Thanks for confirming. For me the outer bracket location definitely wouldn't reach with the inner bracket still stock. I also crudely worked it out myself, although my solution was more zip tie and less metal. :P Will probably work fine, but I would definitely appreciate a working bracket from SBG. (Heath says they will make one once they can get a 2006+ car to look at.)
Old 02-06-2020, 03:32 PM

Any update on this as we approach ~2 months?
Old 02-06-2020, 03:34 PM

I haven't heard anything new from SBG. I assume they're still waiting on a car to test on. Hoping once @j.mart gets his car back we can arrange that.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed! I’m still tracking but unfortunately my car is still at the bodyshop. My new front fenders are proving to be much more difficult to get perfect than anticipated.

I haven't heard anything new from SBG. I assume they're still waiting on a car to test on. Hoping once @j.mart gets his car back we can arrange that.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:13 AM

4 month checkup... They contact you with a proper fix?
Old 04-05-2020, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
4 month checkup... They contact you with a proper fix?
No, I haven't heard anything back from them. I'll send a follow-up email. It does appear they're still selling the kit with no indication of the problem for AP2 cars, which is a bit surprising.

Last edited by Nate Tempest; 04-05-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nate, I can finally provide an update here. My car is back from the bodyshop and I'll be dropping my car off at SBG tomorrow for a couple things. Chatted with Heath about this and they'll be checking out my car (MY07) to evaluate the bracket situation.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by j.mart
Nate, I can finally provide an update here. My car is back from the bodyshop and I'll be dropping my car off at SBG tomorrow for a couple things. Chatted with Heath about this and they'll be checking out my car (MY07) to evaluate the bracket situation.
Excellent!
Old 04-07-2020, 02:46 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Since we're talking about this brake kit does anyone know if these will fit under AP2v1's? Do I need a spacer?

Quick Reply: SBG rear RX-8 caliper BBK installation issue