S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Springs!?!?!?!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

swift spec r's were designed to work specifically on stock CR shocks. These will be just fine on any OEM ap1/2 shock as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

eibach pro kit hands down, about a 1 inch drop, ride comfort literally feels identical to stock with zero bounciness, i really dont think you can go wrong, and it will not wear out your shocks prematurely
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Received 193 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rosario717
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1359398236' post='22298136
swift spec r's were designed to work specifically on stock CR shocks. These will be just fine on any OEM ap1/2 shock as well.

I have spec r's right now and would have to say I'll probably switch to eibachs unless the ride changes with time. I think theyre more for track or autocross enthusiasts that drive on perfectly flat roads without major dip or imperfections. The bounce or as someone called it the "pogostick" effect on the highway can get annoying over time but if you track your car then theyre perfect for that purpose..

What you are feeling is what I would expect. The Spec R's are designed for the increased dampening of the CR dampers, and are not ideal for AP1/AP2's. AP1/AP2 are under dampened and are not suited for the spring rate of the Spec R's. There is a reason why they are the only 400lb lowering spring on the market...its because they are aimed for the CR which came with near 400lb springs in the front from the factory. I have the Swifts Spec R on my CR and there is ZERO bouncing pogo stick effect on the hwy.

For all non CR damper owners I would recommend the Swift Sport springs or Espelir.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by manonastick
Thinking of putting eibach pro kit in my dd s2k. cause i just want the car to be a inch lower but i was wondering what will happen to handling performance? Cause i do go out on twisties and do go a bit hard and do plan to go on track once or twice a year. I heard that the springs rates on stock suspension is fairly stiff and having a more mild spring so make the car a bit more predictable? This is on a 00 ap1
I have an 01, so same oe spring rates as you. I ran the pro kit for a couple years and my initial impressions were less body roll/movement, so handling precision went up, after a wile the rear started to feel a bit bouncy and unsettled for my liking and I contribute that to the already under dampened feel of the stock shocks with some mileage on them. Eibach says the springs in the kit are 20% stiffer then the oe springs and moved to a "strait rate" rather then a progressive rate wound spring found in the oem. What the strait rate does is allow the initial spring movement to be firmer, wile allowing the suspension movement once past it initial stroke to be more compliant and easier on the stock damper. I felt that this was a pretty accurate description when experiencing them. So 20% stiffer overall, but the initial spring rate felt closer to 50% stiffer, which as mentioned really helped with much improved turn in response/precision. -1" is about all you want to go to not over tax and ruin the damping ability of the oe shocks as well. Some of these other spring companies lower the car 1.5-2" and that’s just going to diminish the cars dampers. That’s all suspension travel you’re giving up there too, so keep that in mind.

The pro kit is proven and has the make up to be successful for a lowering spring, there may be some others that are comparable, but the pro kit is the only one I would recommend after my run with them.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by rosario717
Originally Posted by adrs2k' timestamp='1359494527' post='22300990
[quote name='rosario717' timestamp='1359422658' post='22299121']
[quote name='RedCelica' timestamp='1359398236' post='22298136']

I have spec r's right now and would have to say I'll probably switch to eibachs unless the ride changes with time. I think theyre more for track or autocross enthusiasts that drive on perfectly flat roads without major dip or imperfections. The bounce or as someone called it the "pogostick" effect on the highway can get annoying over time but if you track your car then theyre perfect for that purpose..

What you are feeling is what I would expect. The Spec R's are designed for the increased dampening of the CR dampers, and are not ideal for AP1/AP2's. AP1/AP2 are under dampened and are not suited for the spring rate of the Spec R's. There is a reason why they are the only 400lb lowering spring on the market...its because they are aimed for the CR which came with near 400lb springs in the front from the factory. I have the Swifts Spec R on my CR and there is ZERO bouncing pogo stick effect on the hwy.

For all non CR damper owners I would recommend the Swift Sport springs or Espelir.
[/quote]

I communicated with a few vendors and neither of them mentioned these springs would cause what my car does now.. the bounciness doesnt bother me much since its only noticeable at high speeds and i only drive on the highway once a week but when i do i regret getting these springs. Once I get a chance Im probably switching to eibachs since those are more ideal for my car i hope lol
[/quote]

You need dampers remember, not more springs lol. Your dampers are probably on their way out so they will feel bouncy no matter what springs you have on there. That’s my strong suspension from what I’ve experienced without driving your car. If you can get another set of used springs pretty cheap and put them on yourself then at least your not out much money, give it a shot, but otherwise you could buy a round of Koni adjustables for near the price of springs and paying someone to put in. Even if the springs helped, your still further ahead with the koni dampers over oem in the short and long term.