S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

suspension at 160k?

Old 01-19-2023, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s a tough choice and I’m going through similar situation. My AP1 OEM struts and springs have 175k on them and they’re still decent, no leaks either.
I’m hoping this summer to upgrade to Ohlins or something of similar quality. I’ve heard good things about Billstiens too, as a fact I’ve driven in a supercharged S with them and it hugged the road nicely and felt “stockish” comfort wise. My buddy has Ohlins put on by Billman and that car felt amazing too.

Like others have said above, the OEM suspension setup is very good but many people replace with aftermarket because of cost. I have an extra set of used front OEM AP2 struts and springs I just have to remember what year. They have under 70k on them and tried to sell on Facebook S groups and no one wanted them and if they did it was for like $100, which surprised me.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:17 AM

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
The way I see it... if your 160k mile oem shocks lasted you this long and still feel decent... then a new pair of oem shocks will most likely do the same for another 160k miles.

If you want to gamble on Bilsteins lasting just as long, then be my guest. Me... I'll most likely go oem again for peace of mind (can't go wrong with oe Showa shocks).

I'm at 131k miles and the oem shocks still feel good... I'd like the next set of dampers to do/last the same.
The front end (forks) on my Harley were Showas!
Old 01-19-2023, 10:30 AM

Received 110 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Bilstein rebuildable. Buy once, own forever.
Who's really gonna rebuild them?

Think about it... you gotta remove them, either have your car un-operational on jack stands for several weeks or put on a spare susp. setup, mail them to Bilstein, wait several weeks for them to rebuild them, get them back and re-install (not to mention spend a lot of money to have them shipped & rebuilt). Sounds like quite a big hassle for ordinary, casual owners of the S2k that use their car as a DD, or their only car, or they drive it frequently.

The feature of "Rebuilding" is mostly aimed towards the more hard-core enthusiasts, track people, etc. And, there are many other companies that offer that too (JRZ, Moton, Fortune Auto, etc., etc.).

I know you love your Bilsteins and always hype them... but, many people prefer OEM and the true quality they bring.

The mechanic that installed my clutch (an old school mechanic and super known in the NSX community) always has NSXs in his shop (there was a white NSX-R there too)... I recently noticed one of the most common repairs/services he does to NSXs is - replace aftermarket coilovers with OE Showa shocks, lol. Anything from Bilstein, Ohlins, HKS, etc., etc. I was surprised too to see how common it was and always seeing nice aftermarket COs on the shop floor (I was asking about them). He told me, "yup, Showa shocks... the best. This aftermarket stuff is, eh." He's been working on NSXs (and sometimes S2ks) since the 90s.

Yes... OE shocks may become impossible to find in the future or out-of-production; so, Bilsteins will be a great choice then. But, until that really happens, I'd rather go OEM. The S2k engineers made it harsh and stiff for a reason; and I want to experience the car as they designed and engineered it, an unadulterated sports car. If you want soft and comfy, then buy a Miata or a Cadillac, imo.

Just my opinion and 2-cents.

Last edited by Jah2000; 01-19-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:39 PM

Received 1,283 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah2000
Who's really gonna rebuild them?

Think about it... you gotta remove them, either have your car un-operational on jack stands for several weeks or put on a spare susp. setup, mail them to Bilstein, wait several weeks for them to rebuild them, get them back and re-install (not to mention spend a lot of money to have them shipped & rebuilt). Sounds like quite a big hassle for ordinary, casual owners of the S2k that use their car as a DD, or their only car, or they drive it frequently.

The feature of "Rebuilding" is mostly aimed towards the more hard-core enthusiasts, track people, etc. And, there are many other companies that offer that too (JRZ, Moton, Fortune Auto, etc., etc.).

I know you love your Bilsteins and always hype them... but, many people prefer OEM and the true quality they bring.

The mechanic that installed my clutch (an old school mechanic and super known in the NSX community) always has NSXs in his shop (there was a white NSX-R there too)... I recently noticed one of the most common repairs/services he does to NSXs is - replace aftermarket coilovers with OE Showa shocks, lol. Anything from Bilstein, Ohlins, HKS, etc., etc. I was surprised too to see how common it was and always seeing nice aftermarket COs on the shop floor (I was asking about them). He told me, "yup, Showa shocks... the best. This aftermarket stuff is, eh." He's been working on NSXs (and sometimes S2ks) since the 90s.

Yes... OE shocks may become impossible to find in the future or out-of-production; so, Bilsteins will be a great choice then. But, until that really happens, I'd rather go OEM. The S2k engineers made it harsh and stiff for a reason; and I want to experience the car as they designed and engineered it, an unadulterated sports car. If you want soft and comfy, then buy a Miata or a Cadillac, imo.

Just my opinion and 2-cents.
Yes

But the OEM shocks are being discontinued NOW

In another 160K miles, they'll only exist in biblical scrolls.

The Bilstein are readily available now. They'll probably be available long term. And if they're not..they'll be rebuildable.

The stock shocks are also stupid. Idk if you have considered that.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:02 PM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

You musta missed the part where I mentioned what if in XX years after the new oem shcoks you buy today wear out, it turns out Bilstein also no longer sells shocks for this car? Then whatta ya gonna do?

If you buy them now, you won't have to worry that might happen.

Like I said, since guts are so universal across their line, rebuild parts will always be available, even if shocks specific to our cars are not.

Yes, in some future year its gonna suck taking shocks off the car and waiting until they return all rebuilt. But it beats the alternative in that future time, of having blown shocks and no stock or aftermarket options available.

You'll be looking for used aftermarket rebuildable stuff that they still make parts for, and paying through the nose for them. Then still have to send it out for rebuild and wait.

The Bilsteins will last as long as the stock stuff does. Maybe longer. Many rebuild sooner just because they want them very fresh. But you don't have to. Can treat them like stock and replace (rebuild) once they start to feel worn out.
Old 01-20-2023, 05:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have 193k miles on MY08 and have been gathering parts to refresh my suspension.

I replaced all of the lower arm bushings with Mugen rubber. It turned out to be more expensive than I thought. If you have a press, you’d save a lot.

For the upper arms, I decided to buy brand new arms from RHDJapan because they come with bushings and ball joints installed. Also fresh steel.

I replaced my blown Bilstein PSS9 with Ohlins.

I bought tie rods and OEM rear toe control arms.

I bought EVS offset camber joints / RCA’s.

I’m going to buy Hardrace front & rear sway bar end links.

We’ll see how it feels after everything is installed.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:44 AM

Received 1,283 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by RAizzle
I have 193k miles on MY08 and have been gathering parts to refresh my suspension.

I replaced all of the lower arm bushings with Mugen rubber. It turned out to be more expensive than I thought. If you have a press, you’d save a lot.

For the upper arms, I decided to buy brand new arms from RHDJapan because they come with bushings and ball joints installed. Also fresh steel.

I replaced my blown Bilstein PSS9 with Ohlins.

I bought tie rods and OEM rear toe control arms.

I bought EVS offset camber joints / RCA’s.

I’m going to buy Hardrace front & rear sway bar end links.

We’ll see how it feels after everything is installed.
I'm sure it'll feel like a new car.

How long did your Bilsteins last?
Old 01-20-2023, 04:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I'm sure it'll feel like a new car.

How long did your Bilsteins last?
I really can’t wait to feel the difference. The Bilsteins were on the car for a while when I bought it with 100k miles. They lasted another 80k miles or so. After swapping in the Ohlins and lower arm bushings, the car still doesn’t feel like how I want it to so I’m looking forward to finishing up the refresh.