S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Suspension bushings, upgrades?

Old 03-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

I'd buy genuine Honda tie rods and ball joints wherever possible.

Yours still work after 150K. Aftermarket ones don't hold that type of quality.

If your goal is to fit bigass wheels with minimal necessary camber, then you should do adjustable upper ball joints up front instead of RCA sliding (lower) ball joints. They do increase the risk of cracking a UCA. But...I think most of those failures are installation related -- caveman spec install. Lots of people out there with sloping foreheads and crude tools.

Honda does not sell upper ball joints. You'd need to buy a whole UCA. Why not buy a low mile one from a reputable eBay junkyard?
Old 03-14-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I'd buy genuine Honda tie rods and ball joints wherever possible.

Yours still work after 150K. Aftermarket ones don't hold that type of quality.

If your goal is to fit bigass wheels with minimal necessary camber, then you should do adjustable upper ball joints up front instead of RCA sliding (lower) ball joints. They do increase the risk of cracking a UCA. But...I think most of those failures are installation related -- caveman spec install. Lots of people out there with sloping foreheads and crude tools.

Honda does not sell upper ball joints. You'd need to buy a whole UCA. Why not buy a low mile one from a reputable eBay junkyard?
I wouldn't buy a used UCA. There's no way to guarantee its good. If I just use an offset roll center adjuster in the front, do you think that would help give enough adjustment for camber? Seems like a good idea according to https://robrobinette.com/S2000OffsetBallJoints.htm
Old 03-15-2018, 03:25 PM

Eh...used OEM parts can be a safer bet than brand new aftermarket parts. Or...at worst, the gamble is about the same.

Yes, an adjustable lower balljoint RCA will have plenty of range.

Downsides:
1.) you are using a non OEM ball joint to support the weight of the car. Its a lower ball joint. So...check them often for cracks and looseness.

2.) You are moving the bottom of the tyre for camber. So you'll need more camber to clear the same wheel (as compared to an adjustable upper).

3.) You are providing more wheel travel and more roll stiffness to whichever end of the car they are on (this is neither inherently good or bad...its just a fact).
Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Eh...used OEM parts can be a safer bet than brand new aftermarket parts. Or...at worst, the gamble is about the same.

Yes, an adjustable lower balljoint RCA will have plenty of range.

Downsides:
1.) you are using a non OEM ball joint to support the weight of the car. Its a lower ball joint. So...check them often for cracks and looseness.

2.) You are moving the bottom of the tyre for camber. So you'll need more camber to clear the same wheel (as compared to an adjustable upper).

3.) You are providing more wheel travel and more roll stiffness to whichever end of the car they are on (this is neither inherently good or bad...its just a fact).
I like your insight on all this stuff. Thanks for that. I really like knowing how things work.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:05 PM

No worries, man. its fun stuff to talk about
Old 03-15-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Seems my old compliance bush has same part number on the bush as the new Mugen