S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Suspension questions

Old 09-13-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension questions

Hi guys so I recently paid off my s2k it's an 06 with 80k miles. (Had for 6 years). Bought it with 38k miles. I've got some things done to it but what I'm here for is suspension questions. So I got front and rear sway bars already and bigger tires and all that junk. I don't really care about lowering it but it is about 12 years old and all I want to do is replace the stuff so it's new. Like the control arms and shocks and rotors/breaks etc. rotors and breaks I can find but I want better handling. Why not upgrade it if I'm replacing parts? I personally don't care about lowering it I know it makes it little better but I enjoy the stock ride. I'm not a picky person. My questions are. If it's not lowered and I wanna replace the lower control arms and differntal mounts. (Because the ones on it are rusted and used up) My car looks the way I want it to now. And now since I'm trying to replace stock parts to make it newer again I could just buy used stock parts but what I really wanna know is will the after market control arms and mounts make my car feel bouncy and stuff? Or is that just when you put coilovers and or things like that on it it makes it bouncy etc? but since it's not lowered not sure if it will effect the car or if I even need them because it's not lowered. I'd like them though because why not put nice new brand new parts on it right? Never had an issue with my car and it's basically mint. I just don't want my turning and suspension to suffer. Would yous reccomand stock parts? Or would I be ok with after market parts? I'm prolly gonna buy brand new but stock springs/breaks/rotors like from advance or autozone. But I'm really interested in the mounts and control arms but would they be ok on a stock suspension?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

If your car is indeed "basically mint" (i.e. well cared for, and rarely or never tracked), then even at 12 years and 80K miles your original suspension arms and diff/trans/engine mounts should be fine. Obviously if you've seen evidence of cracked/leaking rubber then those should be replaced, preferably with new OEM parts.

Here's my recommendation: Since you're not too concerned about lowering and you like the stock ride quality, I'd look for a low-miles set of OEM '02-'03 (first choice) or '08-'09 (second choice) shocks and springs. They're stiffer than your '06 (but still ride comfortably), they have a more neutral handling bias, and they'll keep your stock ride height. Plus, they should be fairly cheap (300-400 used). For the ultimate OE handling setup you could go for CR shocks and springs, but they'll be about twice the cost, and they have a *very* firm ride.

Oh and by the way, since you do seem to be concerned about longevity, remember that new replacement OE shocks and springs are still available for all model years. They'll run you ~$1200 (that's dampers and springs only, i.e. no top hats, bump rubbers, etc.), but that's still cheap compared to comparable-quality aftermarket parts. New OEM is especially attractive if you go the CR route, since even fairly well-used CR shocks/springs are running 600-800.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron3328
I don't really care about lowering it but it is about 12 years old and all I want to do is replace the stuff so it's new. Like the control arms and shocks and rotors/breaks etc. rotors and breaks I can find but I want better handling. Why not upgrade it if I'm replacing parts? I personally don't care about lowering it I know it makes it little better but I enjoy the stock ride.
Street car, stock suspension, there is absolutely no reason you should have to replace control arms. Replace shocks only if they are blown or are otherwise not working properly. Stock are very good shocks and they last a very long time. Of course replace rotors and pads as wear requires, but don't just do it for the sake of doing it though.

If it's not lowered and I wanna replace the lower control arms and differntal mounts. (Because the ones on it are rusted and used up) My car looks the way I want it to now. And now since I'm trying to replace stock parts to make it newer again I could just buy used stock parts but what I really wanna know is will the after market control arms and mounts make my car feel bouncy and stuff?
Don't get aftermarket control arms! Absolutely no reason to. FWIW the arms just maintain geometry, the shocks and springs are what determine "bounciness" and harshness, ride quality, etc.

I'd like them though because why not put nice new brand new parts on it right?
Why not? because you don't need new parts.

Never had an issue with my car and it's basically mint. I just don't want my turning and suspension to suffer.
So leave it alone!

Drive the car and enjoy it. Service and replace parts as needed. Don't wholesale replace a bunch of parts with new just because.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guy yeah I don't know much specially when it comes to suspension and what I mean by mint I mean just got it re painted(touched up)all those dings from the last 12 years etc ya no? New roof and the interior don't have a fade scratch or rip in it lol. It's just the rotors and stuff never been replaced and there's some rusted parts under earth cuz I'm assuming the weather over the years. I live in pa but I just figured why not get newer I guess stock oem parts because everything looks so nice then when I take off the wheels I see what should be clean nice looking metal make it pop more but instead it's all rusted not like it needs to be replaced asap it's perfectly fine but when the time comes. I just wanna make it brand new again for the most part. I've got recipes from everything including all my service and oil changes I keep it nice. I don't track it but I race it if I see someone in the street but most times I just enjoy the ride and have fun with the turning lol. But thanks guys when it comes time to do it I'll prolly just get oem parts or something. I'm also eventually thinking of doing some motor work aka turbo/super charger etc and making it lighter I really like the c west kit but I'm not sure if it will fit ap2 and will it even look ok if it's not lowered? I want the light-Ness and speed but I'm just not picky on it being lowered. Do you guys think it would look ok with that kit and not lowered? Or no lol. (every part I have changed and will change will/has been kept aside in case I ever sell it but the miles are fairly low and I love it so much not sure if I ever will sell it lol. It's such a damn fun car. I just want a little more fun nothing crazy 400hp would be fine for me any suggestions from what I hear it's turbo/supercharger I heard a crankshaft super charger fits right in with no need to change anythig and I'll run little above 400. Not sure if the guy at the shop was right or not he told me he worked on lots of S2k and he did one that took 1st place in import tuner magizne. He had the stuff hanging on his wall and it's some place called crooked customs. It had 700 some horse power the guy said he went threw 3 motors till he found what worked. He must of had money. But he said he worked on about 10 s2ks or so but I wanted your guys opinion lol.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

OEM parts like shocks and control arms are so much better quality than anything you'll get from Autozone. Your OEM paets with 80k miles are better than new parts from Autozone.

Brake rotors, sure, get those from Autozone if you want, those are fine. Shocks, springs, and control arms, NO.

Honestly, what you want is for the parts to look nice. Just paint the stock parts. Look for a paint called Por-15. Get the top coat they sell too.

Follow their instructions, clean and prep the parts, brush on the paint. Once it dries, brush on the top coat. You can do all this without removimg that parts from car if you're careful. It will all look new, and be very well protected for many decades to come.

Tip, don't get Por-15 on your skin, it'll takes weeks to come off. The stuff is seriously heavy duty. Restoration guys have used for decades. It goes right on over preped rust.