S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Thoughts on AP2/AP1 Setup

Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Without knowing how fast you tried to make this turn and with what technique...its not really a smart or safe bet to blame the tires.

The MPSS is probably THE best all around tire of its period. Even today, its the benchmark for other companies.

So..no. They're not short on grip.

The ones on my mostly stock TSX are like 4 years old. They've never been stored in a climate controlled environment over winter....and they still have an impressive amount of grip. Everyone I talk to says they have an impressive amount of grip...including S2000 people.

99.9% of people who use the tires have mostly positive things to say about them. That doesn't make them "over rated". Zdan has had issues on them on a car that he has boasted (in other threads) has 500whp and is set up for track use. So...not a stock street driven S2000.

Maybe you should track or autocross the car at some safe environment instead of flying through curbs on the street.

You can certainly try EP tires. And obviously, they'll give you more ultimate grip. But you'll be going faster when you crash.

Just fix the camber bolts if you want to adjust that angle. Cut them out and replace them. Camber kits shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary.

Get a good alignment within stock specs to start. With good tires...that is as good as the car is going to feel until you mod it with some sort of knowledgable direction.
Well I thought I was gonna steal an AP1 at an insurance auction but the thing had bulkhead damage where the front control arms attach. So I'm back at playing with this AP2. I bought these tires because they are the "benchmark" as you say. I'm currently researching if they require more warm up than I expect, maybe that's my problem with them. On the way to work this morning on a 180 degree on ramp I can slide the back out with mild throttle (far out of vtec) and a little quick turn of the wheel. On the way home I pulled a U-turn and again mild second gear throttle broke the rear loose. I don't want to blame the tires, that's why I'm on here looking for any similar experiences. Aside from grip I think my question of feel is to be blamed on the steering rack difference more and more. It'd be nice to test out an AP1 again...
Old 08-01-2018, 09:51 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I would first max out camber and caster. This will help overall grip and turn in. Your front camber is less than 1deg, no wonder you are sliding off the road
Old 08-02-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
I would first max out camber and caster. This will help overall grip and turn in. Your front camber is less than 1deg, no wonder you are sliding off the road
I agree - you sound like you want to get the max out of the car, so you should align the suspension accordingly. The tradeoffs are mild but not everyone is willing so Honda was actually pretty conservative with the factory settings.

Also, when you lose traction on the street, there's always the possibility that the road condition played a part. Public roads can have just about anything dropped on them. Here in Colorado where I live it's quite common to find dust/gravel/dirt and that obviously lowers grip. So would some fluid dropped from another vehicle. Obviously if you find that the rear end breaks away under mild conditions regularly then it's probably not the road, but be careful of generalizing from a single event.

Lastly, did you tell us what pressures you are running? And what was the ambient temp? Most street tires generate good grip without needing to get much warmer than is typical for a summer day. 200 TW tires will want some additional temp to get the peak grip and you won't get that driving mildly on the street. Lower TW need even more temp. I'm not personally familiar with the PSS but it's a 300 TW tire so I doubt it needs much heat. Also, if you regularly drive hard on the street, you should probably get used to some sliding, especially with a 300 TW tire. If you don't want sliding, then go with a 200 - the difference at the limit is noticeable, especially compared to a really soft 200 such as the RE71. Or last of all, take it easy on the street and save it for the track where it's safe to slide.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

MPSS might be fine when they're at their best, but when the "go off" like mine did, they are the WORST. Shockingly terrible. I lived with it for too long because it didn't seem possible that such supposedly awesome tires could suck so bad. New tires 100% transformed the car.

Get new tires... Any highly-rated Extreme or Max Perf tire.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

I don't feel they need a significant warm up period.

Maybe its the way you're driving the car?
Old 08-02-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
I don't feel they need a significant warm up period.

Maybe its the way you're driving the car?
Meaning what by how I'm driving it? These incidences are generally at what I would call low speed and mild throttle in a higher gear. My driving style is no different than my AP1 nor old tires on this AP2, never had a grip or sliding issue. It required way more effort to slide than it does right now.

Daniel - Road conditions may have played a role when I jumped the curb but the overall trend is too consistent and repeatable for me to blame road conditions. That day was also quite hot I want to say around 90 maybe a few more. I try to take note on the ambient temps to gauge the tires behavior; but it's still 60s and 70s even in the morning. I said before tire pressures were 34 rear and 30 front but I think I might have changed them to 32 all around since then? I'd have to double check that.

For whatever reason they do a little better after 10 minutes of driving or so. Getting more camber will be my next step and eventually swap to a different set of tires once I fix my RSX-S. The S is my lone sole at the moment so my tinkering is minimal with it

Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 AM

Digging up my own thread. My winter project was to redo the front suspension bushings and swap to AP1 rack w/ rigid bushings; quite a pain in the ass as many of you have done or read about. Got them all done and did a ball park front alignment to get high camber, high caster, and even toe until i can get a custom alignment. The car feel loads better up front, although much twitchier over bumps and highway speeds so I didn't do something quite right (thinking I might have caster mixed up).

I quickly got reminded about the concern for lack of grip on my set of pilot super sports. Went to do a U turn and kicked the back end around in low rpm 2nd gear with little effort at all. It's funny to google no grip and pss. A few users have had similar issues but it's mostly people telling the OP they're idiots and how amazing the tires are so it must be the car or the driver. Even a guy who had two sets of pss with his second acting up was being told how it must not be the tires. Maybe just an unlucky batch of tire here and there.

So it sounds like I'll be finding a shop who can replace tires and do a custom alignment at the same time
The following users liked this post:
ZDan (05-20-2019)