Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Brakes and Suspension
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Fortune Auto Air Piston Lift System

S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.

Thoughts on Fortune Auto Air Piston Lift System

Old 07-08-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Fortune Auto Air Piston Lift System

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about these coilovers. I was thinking of purchasing a set when they release it for the s2k community. I called Fortune Auto directly and they said they would be releasing it for the s2k by the end of this summer, so before I bite the bullet I just wanted to hear your guys opinions/thoughts on these coilovers.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

If I understand the purpose of these, it's to lower the car during road travel but raise it up for obstacles? Would be nice to have if I was loading the S onto a trailer, but dang...where you going to mount that tank?
Old 04-11-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't found any other threads about installing these. I got a set with pistons at all four corners and installed them last weekend. I've run the air lines but have not yet installed the air tank and compressors as I haven't decided how I'm gonna mount them. The instructions that come with them are for the 500 series coilovers with one sheet addendum for the pistons. The piston instructions call for 1 in of droop rather than the 1/4 in preload required for the 500 series. The fronts went in and work without an issue. The rear struts however I'm having problems with. I'm currently in contact with Fortune Auto to hopefully remedy my issues.

I had originally installed the rear springs with 0 preload and not the 1 in of droop. I had the front struts damper set to about 15 clicks from soft and the rears were about 5 clicks from soft. I then went for a test drive. Almost immediately there was a clunking sound coming from the rear just driving over extremely minor bumps. It was the bumpstops bottoming out. I then jacked up the preload to as far as the strut threads would allow and this stopped the bump stops from bottoming out. I also increased the rebound to 10 clicks from soft. This can't be right as I'm running about an inch of preload on the rears, a full 2 inches from what was recommended. I then tried adding in the 1 inch of droop to the rear driver's side and loaded up the suspension. There is only about a half an inch of strut travel between the bumpstop and the bottom of the piston. The clunking came back just like before. My rear spring rate is 10k and the fronts are 12k.

These are the rear pistons. The spring actually goes inside the cup while the front pistons the spring does not go inside the cup. The front inner piston has a void in the center allowing for the bump stop to travel inside thus allowing for more strut travel. I'm wondering if the wrong pistons were installed in the rear causing this issue.

These are the front pistons showing the void in the middle of the inner piston that allows for more strut travel.

These are them prior to install. Note the rear struts are on the right and the pistons are much wider than the fronts which are on the right.

Last edited by Nivlac978; 04-18-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

Matt from fortune auto got back to me and he may have found the problem. The lowest spring rate that can be used with the APLS in the rear is 11k otherwise it will bottom out. He'll be sending me new rear struts and 11k Hyperco springs and I'll send back my struts and springs. Most places advertise these as coming standard with 9k front and rear. Just be advised, the lowest rate in the rear using pistons at all 4 corners is 11k. I'll post again after I get the new springs and struts in and report it it's fixed after that.