S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

What are the best pads & disc for track day use in the UK?

Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the best pads & disc for track day use in the UK?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best brake pads / discs for track day use. I had a brand new set of OEM's on for a track day at Bedford Autodrome & they were completely shot by lunch time. I then fitted EBC yellow stuff. Did a track day at Rockingham and they felt good and wear was ok but have just been to Oulton Park and the same set were down to the rivets by mid afternoon. I would be grateful for any help as planning a Nurbingring trip in the summer and need something that will last. Thanks
Old 03-07-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 948 Posts

EBC yellows aren't track pads...no matter what EBC says.

Try dedicating a set of track pads and rotors for a track setup. Something like Cobalt or Carbotech or Hawk's DTC line (Hawk if you don't mind a little wheel/fender finish damage).

Buy a set of (insert brand here) blank rotors. Figure they'll last about 4-6 track days. I'd throw them away after a max of about 6 track days for safety. Rotors tend to crack over time. Buy a few sets at a time from rockauto or a parts store.

Mate the rotors to the pads by bedding them in. Don't use other pads on those rotors after that.

Swap your track setup on for track use.

Swap the street brake setup for street use.

Don't use an "everything" pad unless you plan on making quite a few compromises at both ends of the spectrum.

The only "everything" pad that even comes close to actually works as an "everything" pad is the stoptech street performance (in my experience).

Take an extra set of front rotors to any track day. Your street rotors will work as a backup if you're swapping your track brakes on at the track.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

EBC Yellows can take far more heat than OEM pads. They drive decent too. However I agree they are not a dedicated track pad. I got two track days out of a set, but they started to go south my last trip. They did not feel good when they gave up either.

Unfortunately, you are getting to a place where you just need some dedicated track pads. You may try street driving some XP8 or 10s, but they will still eat rotors. As stated above, pick your compromise.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:15 AM

The downside of using XP8 or 10 on the street isn't rotor life. Rotors are cheap. But wearing down a set of $300 (USD) pads in 4-5K street miles is a total waste.

Plus...the noise is formidable...as well as the dust.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Ha good point, heavy street driving on those pads can be pricy.

At that point, I wonder where the intersection of value, performance, and a single brake system are cosidering a comparison of a bbk vs stock setup with expensive track pads used on the street?

I have lots of second hand experience street driving xp8 and 10s on my good friends lotus. He does about 3k miles a year and 5 track days (advanced). His wheels are black but he has no noise issues and is very happy street driving these pads.

If that setup worked on an s2k, how would it compare to a bbk? Would the performance be adequate compared to track pads? Does it make sense in the long run?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:18 PM

A good BBK will need less agressive pads than the stock brake system. So you can use some sort of "performance" pad with a BBK on track...unless you have significantly more power than stock.

I use Carbotech XP10 front and stoptech SP rear or XP12 front and XP10/8 depending on the track. I usually run in the "advanced" group HPDE's and in "street" or "modified" time attack groups.

I used Yellowstuff for 2 track days once. They worked fine on the street too. But crumbled apart badly on the 2nd track day. Half the LR outside pad was missing when I pitted because my brakes were acting funny.

Stoptech SP is a performance pad that I like. It sort of works on the front for slower tracks. But...it really doesn't turn out that great...especially if you're hustling the car pretty good.

Hawk HP+ work about the same as stoptechs in terms of fade. They bite harder. And they will ruin your wheels with corrosive dust and will eat your rotors.

The compromises of a performance street/intermediate pad like stoptech SP, Hawk HP+, or EBC yellow aren't worth it if you're seriously going to a track day.

I will say that I love the stoptech SP on the street, though. Fantastic bite and fade resistance...but the dust wont ruin your paint.

Use track pads for the track. Swap out to street pads for the street. Or buy a BBK if you have a couple thousand $$ to spend for the convenience.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Ferodo DS2500s and OEM blank discs. Decent fluid like Motul RBF600 in there too.

Get some cooling to the brakes aswell as this makes a massive difference in how long they last, particularly on the rears.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:18 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Head over to the UK forum for suggestions but I've done somewhere around 40 track days in my car, many of them with Dixcel Z and RA pads fitted (RBF600 fluid helps, too. They last a long time and can be had from one of the traders. I hear the ES pads are very good too, and a lot less expensive. Both the Z and ES versions work nicely on the road, too.

Others swear by Carbon Lorraine pads, and as Tom suggests, the DS2500s are very popular.

UK forum: https://www.s2ki.com/...2000-community/
Dixcel pads from here: https://www.s2ki.com/...up-and-running/
A useful track day FAQ here: https://www.s2ki.com/...ck-day-faq-v03/