S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Why KW V3 Over the GC with Koni

Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan_uk
I ran OEM shocks with 500lbs lowerring springs for years and stock koni sports (yellows) with similar springrates are much much better!
I now run revalved koni yellows and they are awesome. The revalve cost around $700 for all 4 with the fronts shortenned.
Double Adjustable onversion is around $300 / shock so much more expensive to buy konis and make them double adjustable like KW v3's

I went for konis because I could spend $800 to start out, play with spring rates then do the revalve later. Also I needed a non remote resovoir shock for TT class.
But if you have the $1500 or whatever to spend up front and want around 500/600lbs springs probly the KW's are probably your best bet.
O_O Damn...

I was quoted $125 a shock to have it shortened and converted to DA by GC themselves ( they contract with Koni...) With the rate I was quoted for the oringal GC set up the whole thing with conversion would run me $1600 out the door. Much cheaper than the V3 . I've also considered getting a set of custom length custom valved bilstiens with some coils...
Old 07-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fujin
Originally Posted by dan_uk' timestamp='1309780340' post='20744868
I ran OEM shocks with 500lbs lowerring springs for years and stock koni sports (yellows) with similar springrates are much much better!
I now run revalved koni yellows and they are awesome. The revalve cost around $700 for all 4 with the fronts shortenned.
Double Adjustable onversion is around $300 / shock so much more expensive to buy konis and make them double adjustable like KW v3's

I went for konis because I could spend $800 to start out, play with spring rates then do the revalve later. Also I needed a non remote resovoir shock for TT class.
But if you have the $1500 or whatever to spend up front and want around 500/600lbs springs probly the KW's are probably your best bet.
O_O Damn...

I was quoted $125 a shock to have it shortened and converted to DA by GC themselves ( they contract with Koni...) With the rate I was quoted for the oringal GC set up the whole thing with conversion would run me $1600 out the door. Much cheaper than the V3 . I've also considered getting a set of custom length custom valved bilstiens with some coils...
I think its $125/shock on top of the rebuild/revalve if not thats a realy realy good price I would jump allover that

For me to have the fronts shortenned and all 4 rebuilt for 700/600 springs with parts cost me around $700 from truechoice.
They quoted me over $1200 for that and to do that and make them double adjustable and the shocks and GC stuff costs at least $850 new

I thought the V3's could be had for $1700?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:02 AM

I would say if you do go for konis make sure you have some bumpstop! I cut mine to around 1/2" and bottomed it out jumping off the track and back on now the cars up on jackstands with 3 shocks while that one goes back for another rebuild
Old 07-04-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I looked into the actual Ground control coilover kit on their site and while you can order them with up to 550lb springs it's just an off the shelf yellow being used. I actually called to confirm this with them. I got real excited thinking they might be yellows GC had custom valved for those rates but they aren't. 550lbs is about the top of the range for off the shelf yellows as well so I wouldn't expect to get tons of mileage out of them with those rates.

I really don't think you could go wrong either way. The best part to me about the Koni's is that they are so many ways to change them up. I also run my car fairly low which was a concern with having the Koni/GC setup.

I ended up getting a good deal on some KW Clubsports and couldn't be happier with them. I would like to up the spring rates though and then I think they'd really be perfect.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

//steve\\ ive been running 650 front 750 rear spring rates on my v3's without issues for about a year now.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fujin
Originally Posted by dan_uk' timestamp='1309780340' post='20744868

O_O Damn...

the v3's can be had for about 1750 or so shipped new when i was shopping for these a while back.

i also went from koni/gc(no revalve, standard s2k spring rate, i think it was in the 380-400ish) to kw v3's. although i dont track the car, it made a big improvement in terms of street driving both setups. its something that cant be explained but if you sit in both, you will know what i mean.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:23 AM

where can someone get v3's for under 2 grand? if thats the case then its a no brainer, but im in the same boat as the OP. the price and simplicity of the koni/GC coilover seems more attractive to me than most setups in that price range.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EsTooTouseng
where can someone get v3's for under 2 grand? if thats the case then its a no brainer, but im in the same boat as the OP. the price and simplicity of the koni/GC coilover seems more attractive to me than most setups in that price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KW-V3...Q5fAccessories

Myself and several other members here have purchased from this guy. Make him an offer.

To the OP - To get a Koni yellow setup custom valved and purchase a decent set of springs with it, you spend as much or more than a set of KW V3s cost. The KW V3s are more adjustable and easier to adjust. They have compression, rebound, and height adjustments. Although they aren't custom valved, you can use up to 12kg/mm springs on them. KW V3s with Hyperco 12kg/mm springs is a killer setup and for the money I really don't think you can get a better handling suspension setup. The next step up is something like Ohlins or Motons for $5-6k.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by toofast4yalll
Originally Posted by EsTooTouseng' timestamp='1309868584' post='20746995

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Myself and several other members here have purchased from this guy. Make him an offer.

To the OP - To get a Koni yellow setup custom valved and purchase a decent set of springs with it, you spend as much or more than a set of KW V3s cost. The KW V3s are more adjustable and easier to adjust. They have compression, rebound, and height adjustments. Although they aren't custom valved, you can use up to 12kg/mm springs on them. KW V3s with Hyperco 12kg/mm springs is a killer setup and for the money I really don't think you can get a better handling suspension setup. The next step up is something like Ohlins or Motons for $5-6k.
I have to disagree with most of what you've wrote here.

As for ease of adjustment, they are the same for rebound. They both have top rebound adjusters and depending on the Koni, both have lower bump adjusters. I would argue that the Koni bump adjuster is easier. I can get at if from under the front bumper with a long screwdriver. The KW has to be manipulated with a hex key or by hand at the bottom of the shock directly, which means you have to crank the wheel and then stretch to reach it.

The koni also has height adjustment if you get the coil sleeve, which you'd have to get to run the correct springs anyway, so this is a moot point.

Also, the next step up is not right to $5-6k shocks. My ~$2500 setup is better than the KWs, and there is such little to be gained by spending another $2500.

Here's the bottom line.

KW
slap it on and go and don't ever change anything,
don't need extra parts,
good for most people's needs
Probably the best bolt on track mod, but the Koni would be just as good

Koni
customizable
more potential,
servicable in the USA,
can be revalved at the Solo 2 Nationals for the cost of parts only (this is huge for autocrossers) ,
have source your own parts
A better choice for autocrossers
Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

v3's aren't 'slap it on'

Quick Reply: Why KW V3 Over the GC with Koni