S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Best time to buy a CR

Old 02-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best time to buy a CR

Has anyone else noticed that prices of CRs go down during winter? It seems to be the best time to buy them.

(No, I'm not looking into buying another one. Just thought I'd pose the question.)

Old 02-05-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'd believe that statement holds true with the S2000 as a whole and any convertible.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

This might be true in the colder northern areas, but in the more temperate zones I think the prices stay pretty stable. Limited availability of the CR helps to underpin their value too.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What price and when do you think club racers price will bottom out, and then start to climb in price do to collectability?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

They are already starting to climb. I don't think you'll see them for low 20's very often. Mid 20's seem to be the average now days, depending on year, mileage, condition, color, ect. Berlina Blacks can be had for the cheapest with Grand Prix White CR's fetching the largest premiums.

You will also have better luck finding a car that's not listed very publicly. A lot of people on here like to contact the owners when cars get listed to ask all sort of questions and get information on the car, including the VIN, and then report back here. Unfortunately for a potential buyer this generates unnecessary interest which makes the seller harder to negotiate with and keeps prices higher than normal. I experienced this when I was hunting for my car. Thankfully I was able to use it to my advantage, but what happened with my situation was certainly not the norm.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, these aren't getting any cheaper. There is absolutely nothing you can buy for the same money that checks as many boxes. I wouldn't let my RYP delete with just under 14,000 miles go for a penny under 30K. I have considered selling to fund an NSX, but even then I'm on the fence.

Rare and supremely entertaining to drive is usually a reliable formula for collect-ability.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:24 PM

Of all the CR's I've purchased only one was actually advertised as being for sale. I agree with Feezy, the CR is increasing in value. The lower priced CR's tend to be the higher mileage, less original and maybe less cared for ones. The Berlina's seem to be the least expensive (and desirable) which is subjective, a well cared for BB CR is a thing of beauty. The problem is keeping it looking beautiful.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Best time to buy is before they're all in Steven's garage.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
The Berlina's seem to be the least expensive (and desirable) which is subjective, a well cared for BB CR is a thing of beauty. The problem is keeping it looking beautiful.
I can help you solve that problem!
Old 02-06-2015, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Feezy
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point' timestamp='1423261450' post='23496524
The Berlina's seem to be the least expensive (and desirable) which is subjective, a well cared for BB CR is a thing of beauty. The problem is keeping it looking beautiful.
I can help you solve that problem!
I'm not sure you'd have any better luck in Arizona Feezy, I know about the "dust" issues there. I need a demagnetizing quick detailer so that the BB doesn't attract so much dust!

Quick Reply: Best time to buy a CR