S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Hardtop rattle

Old 03-16-2016, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop rattle

So my hardtop rattles like crazy and makes alot of noise and its starting to really bug me any tips to how this could be fixed? I tried different latches still makes noise. Thanks for any tips and advice!
Old 03-16-2016, 06:26 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Combination of adjusting the rear latches and using the bath tub liner has been working for years for me.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/884...hardtop+rattle
Old 03-16-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 3,376 Likes on 2,453 Posts

If your front latches are noisy try putting a piece of foam inside the clamshell. It should be thick enough to maintain outward pressure so the latch doesn't rattle upon itself. I used one of those tire dressing applicators, cut it up into a nicely shaped chunk. The rattle noise went away instantly.

Name:  DSC00208_zpsbbd5e53b.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  81.8 KB
Old 03-22-2016, 07:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Combination of adjusting the rear latches and using the bath tub liner has been working for years for me.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/884...hardtop+rattle
Adam,

Thanks for posting this, but I have a question regarding the following: "Naturally the weight of the top will push the top down and the latches will in turn move upwards in the slots." If the pins are merely through the opening, then what is pushing the hardware in the top upwards? If the pins are through the opening and locked, then the hardware in the top will be pulled downward. If the pins are lowered into the opening while in the locked position, then the hardware will end up being shoved to the top of the travel. Am I missing something? - Yes, I was missing something (was suffering from frustration brain numbness). So, in the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna, never mind.

Regardless, the hardware has locating lines surrounding the head of each screw. I took a photo of each side before loosening them. After attempting your linked procedure, there was fairly radical movement of the latching hardware (through the slots and latched, then unlatched and nudged upwards slightly), but the result was a rattle free test drive. I do still have some wind noise, but I need to go to the nearest car wash to fire water at high pressure all the way around the seal to make sure it won't leak when it rains (as happened recently - motivated me to try your suggestion). I'll do that after getting the rest of the interior back together - sorting out a speaker induced rattle in rearward area of the passenger door and routing a wire from the 2nd USB port on the back of the head unit to supplement/replace the iPod with a USB thumb drive).

Kevin

----------------

It leaked significantly, so I returned everything to the position before I began (one of the things I love about modern cell phones). Then I nudged the hardware up and back by a bit less than one of the positioning lines and it's neither rattling, nor leaking. The door rattle turned out to be the plastic 'guide' for the lock and latch actuators which I secured with a bit of 3M VHB - no more bass induced door rattle. As for the secondary USB input, I discovered the limitations of my aging Pioneer head unit, but I still need to research/experiment on that front - works fine with an old 4GB thumbdrive, but only displays 'error' with a 64.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I only did one thing to stop my rattles. I took a small plastic tube cut off little pieces and placed them over the spikes that go into the catchers on top. Quiet as a church in my cabin.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:50 AM

I added the extra spacer/shim kit to the striker plate area and it allowed the latch to tighten up and no more rattling. Along with a good application of Honda Shin‑Etsu grease on all the rubber molding/weather stripping on the hard top.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:56 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by iamxpL
I only did one thing to stop my rattles. I took a small plastic tube cut off little pieces and placed them over the spikes that go into the catchers on top. Quiet as a church in my cabin.
I know others have used a similar product, I believe it was very small diameter vacuum hose if I recall.

Hey, Biohazard! Nice to see you are still around.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:49 PM

I would also recommend placing some foam in the latch, that resolved my rattle issue. My concern with adding anything tougher is you will gradually press the latch more out of place and have to keep adding shims or plastic. Foam puts very minimal pressure, it just simply fills the seems and prevents rattling contact (similar to grease).
Old 04-03-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anybody post pictures of the foam placement and where to get the foam. I don't get to take the top off very often so the rattling is an issue I'd like to resolve.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just notice the different adjustment points on my Mugen top so I am going to try to do this for my OEM Top this coming weekend since it rattles to hell when driving.

Quick Reply: Hardtop rattle