S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Juttering / power loss in tight corners

Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DL771
Hey everyone,
I recently changed out my suspension on my CR to a set of Tein SRC Evasive-spec coilovers. Ever since swapping to the new suspension, I've noticed that if I take onramps with some "spirited" speed (not stupidly fast), the car tends make a jutter-like sound from the front of the car, and the car feels like it loses power. Likewise, if I hit the brake pedal as this is happening, the pedal feels shaky - almost as if ABS is being activated. I've read somewhere that this may be the reaction of VSA engaging, but I am not entirely sure.

FWIW, my setup is this:
Tein SRC Evasive-spec coilovers
Non-staggered 255/40/17 R-S3 all around
Volk Racing CE28n 17x10 +45
J's Racing L1 (front) / 12mm RCA (rear)
Camber is -3.1 degrees all around

Just as a note, I never experienced this behavior when my car was completely stock with stock wheel/tire setup, and taking the onramp at the same speed.

I'll try to replicate the behavior with VSA turned off to see what happens, but am a little weary of doing so as I know VSA is there to protect me in case I F-up.

Anyway, thoughts? Any helpful comments would be appreciated.
Based on parts alone, you shouldn't be having any VSA issues. What settings are the SRCs on? If the settings are extrmely off and you're lifting a wheel, then this may be a cause.

Also, try rotating the tires around. Uneven tire wear MAY cause this, but it would have to be pretty extreme.

Worse comes to worst, I can drive down to SD and take your car for a drive. I'm one of those crazies that drives with VSA off and can tell you immediately what's happening.

Another way would be to test in a wide open parking lot, with VSA on and VSA off. Just do circles until you get the symptom with the VSA on, and then do the same thing with VSA off.

PM me, I come down to SD every so often for food and.... spirited drives.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprglu
I know this will be a noob question. I've been driving my car very aggressively for a couple years now.
However, I don't know squat about upgrading the suspension.
Stock the car has horrible under steer. I'm looking for options on the best (what works for you) to improve handling.
I also didn't know you could stiffen the sway bar.
Thanks in advance!
Non-staggered rims/tires. Works fine with VSA as well.

Originally Posted by adrs2k
Easiest way to solve the understeer is to change the way you drive the car. Slower into the corners, then get on the gas and drive through and out of the corner. The CR's alignment was designed to allow you to get on the gas really early in a corner and use the gas to drive the car out of the corner.

That said though going with a wider tire (225) up front will give the car more grip in the front and eliminate some of the understeer. Another way is to change the alignment and reduce the rear toe to help the car rotate.

The adjustable sway bar mentioned is aftermarket. The OEM bar cannot be adjusted
This. I can drive at the track VSA on, and it will never intrude unless its a high speed turn where I just run out of rear grip due to lift.

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Easy solution, VSA off. It clearly wasn't designed for the upgraded suspensions.
I've seen s2ks with upgraded suspensions drive fine with VSA on. Stiff isn't necessarily better. The damping still needs to be properly adjusted.

Originally Posted by seoulbro
No doubt it's the VSA engaging. If you want to fly around tight corners, VSA has to be off. Otherwise it will kick in as soon as it loses grip. Of course, you need to be prepared for oversteer with the VSA off.
VSA will correct understeer as well...