S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Karcepts adjustable sway bar install

Old 09-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Excellent writeup. Thanks for sharing the technical aspects and the installation. You will have to tell us how it feels on the street and track.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice job!
Old 09-29-2014, 04:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So after day one of install, I drove the car around and experienced some binding noises. But these noises are due to the self lubricating solid mounts. The noises were only heard at slow speeds coming to a stop. After about 20 miles of driving all of the noises were pretty much gone. Now the suspension has settled, its a good time to check to make sure you have the end links at proper length so the quick adjustment process is functioning. After adjusting the endlinks again, the process is quick and easy, 3 mins per side if you practice the procedure. The car feels great, and I will have another review on the 12th, since that will be my next date for autocross.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Good write up, my one criticism is your brake line mount. That zip tie will eventually break or be cut, fabricating an extended length brake line mount would be a better/ safer choice. Thank you for going to the trouble to create this write up iamxpL.
I agree with this comment, but only because of the metal hose clamp iamxpL chose to use. I can see the metal clamp possibly cutting into the plastic zip tie. Most of the high end shocks have no brake line mounting. We've been using 50lb cable ties for years without any issues. Below is all that is needed (well, zip tie is all that is needed, foam pad is used to protect the pretty RS Pros). Yes, it is on a threaded body, but we've done the same on the smooth Koni bodies and there is no issue of it sliding/moving as long as the zip tie is tight. So on the OEM shocks, you can easily do the same thing without worry of anything moving on you iamxpL. From now on, we are just going to include the proper zip ties with every sway bar kit. It is best when the brake line is affixed higher up on the shock body with our kit, as it keeps the line out of the way if doing the quick adjust method. If any concerns with the zip tie method, you can always double up on them to ease your mind. PM me iamxpL if you would like me to ship you some 50lb ties to use on your setup.

Here are some other install pics:

Originally Posted by iamxpL
So after day one of install, I drove the car around and experienced some binding noises. But these noises are due to the self lubricating solid mounts. The noises were only heard at slow speeds coming to a stop. After about 20 miles of driving all of the noises were pretty much gone. Now the suspension has settled, its a good time to check to make sure you have the end links at proper length so the quick adjustment process is functioning. After adjusting the endlinks again, the process is quick and easy, 3 mins per side if you practice the procedure. The car feels great, and I will have another review on the 12th, since that will be my next date for autocross.
We have observed if the bushings are on the tight side after install, you will hear a bunch of racket coming from the front end. It will sound like clanking or a knocking noise. It is not the endlinks, nor any actual interference of anything (which it may sound like). It is simply the noise of the bar trying to overcome the friction of the solid bearings. And you will primarily hear it at crawling speeds, mainly over bumps. Once the bushings break in and the friction is reduced, this will go away.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The JRZs sure are pretty. Hope you get the settings squared away
Old 10-03-2014, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a beautiful looking suspension piece. I am tempted to purchase this just because it looks so damn nice! Awesome write-up, I wish I had more time to play with my car, but with work it's much too difficult so unfortunately I won't be seeing this in my future anytime soon!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:07 AM
Community Organizer

i have corrected the brake line mounting with a ziptie. Testing will be done this weekend weather permitting .
Old 10-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up. Please keep this thread updated because I would be very interested in this sway bar next season.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by r12rex
What a beautiful looking suspension piece. I am tempted to purchase this just because it looks so damn nice! Awesome write-up, I wish I had more time to play with my car, but with work it's much too difficult so unfortunately I won't be seeing this in my future anytime soon!
There is always time for play!! ill get to put it in field testing this saturday. im so excited.

Originally Posted by Themikewoo
Great write up. Please keep this thread updated because I would be very interested in this sway bar next season.
Will do! I think any one considering a competitive bar for a great price should give this bar a shot. And it is a proven bar already btw. but thats for another time =)
Old 10-20-2014, 03:13 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by iamxpL
Got to test it out this weekend on my friends STR prepped car, Hole #5 against Gendron Hole #6 full stiff. The car is also on 3 year old BFG rivals down to the bars. The bar on this setting gave us the same stability in the slaloms, less under steer on turn in. We decided not to put the bar on full stiff since i thought it would have given too much understeer. The car rotates nicely under throttle on tighter corners. But the car did give a slight over steer under acceleration out of corners. Maybe its just my bad driving =X or i have the shocks set improperly. Overall i am very happy with the bar and i think it hits the sweet spot on the spring rates. We will test again this weekend on our home lot in meadowlands. Since the lot has been resealed we may opt to go for a lower setting. Previously we ran it in hole #6 on gendron and it was understeer city. So we will leave it at #5 on karcepts and may move it down to #4. Also we are running a modded miata bar in the rear with an extra softer adjustment hole. unknown rates on the settings with the extra adjustment hole.

*notes on the adjustment procedure*

WOW IT WAS SOO MUCH EASIER! Given you have followed the instructions and have everything right, you really do not need to jack up the car at all. My Co driver and I adjusted each side while the car was on the ground. I never adjusted my gendron bar during autocross events due to the process it required to do so.
Finally got to test it out on my CR A street prep so basically just the sway bar. Hole #3 is a bit stiffer than the gendron hole #3 as expected it would probably be equal to or close to Gendron hole #4 on the 1.25 hollow bar. I didnt need the feel to adjust it just yet back to hole #2. The car had great balance on our newly sealed lot. we had a great course today, national style course. fast with all the elements so i got to put the car through its paces. Ill post video when i get home.