S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Should I daily drive my CR?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During those 3 months I drove my si, I approximately put 7000 miles on it
Yes I drive a lot
From my house to school which I go 3 days a week is about 70 miles round trip plus I go on a road trip a lot all over California.
And si is way more comfortable and better gas mileage
Furthermore, driving a CR on LA road condition gets very annoying at times
So I think it is a better idea to DD the si.
But yea it's not so smart move to pay interest for loan and insurance if Its just gonna sit at home
Maybe I should change my insurance policy to " weekend car" to save
Does anyone have this type of policy on their CR?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CR Matey!
Do you plan on selling the car in the future? Or keeping it long term? (10+ years)

What is the reason with keeping the mileage low? The CR will only go down in value, never go up and if it does, there will be other ventures that yield a higher ROI. The cost of it sitting there with APR/insurance is burning more than the yield from resale.

The CR is an amazing car, but it's not even exotic/rare enough to just keep it in storage just to keep the miles low.

Having said that, I can understand the functional reasons for another car such as the needing to carry passengers, hauling, unpaved roads, etc.

Do what makes you happy. Life is short, enjoy life. Spend your money, drive it for fun, mod it for fun. Thinking about cars as some investment is just nonsense

I agree, in the grand scheme of things, the CR is not a rare enough vehicle to garage and never see, however the same was said about the Integra Type R, and it's pretty obvious to see that now its an extremely sought after piece, normally commanding prices in the mid teens.

When I bought my CR, I couldn't afford a DD, and I was commuting 200 miles every weekend from college back home, then having fun all over town, trips to Seattle, Los Angeles, etc. The miles racked up quickly. Something, for me, clicked. I bought a daily driver, and slowly began returning the car to show room quality stock again. For me, the CR will probably always be a garage queen now. Never in the elements, never driven for needless trips, etc.

It really does make every time I sit in our cockpit feel that much more special. In the 7 months since I bought the DD, I've only put about 3000 miles on the CR, compared to averaging 2000 miles a month.

-Ira
Old 06-15-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plan so far is to buy the CR and use it for autocross and on special days. I bought a miata r-package for daily and serious track abuse.
Both cars will be fun but after owning 2 s2000s I wanted to hold onto the CR and make it the last nice one I buy. I might eventually have another as a dd and replace the miata with it.

I can't find another car that I would like as much.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I typically only drive my 75miles to work each week, maybe another 50 miles to a car meet once a week, and maybe dinner on the weekend if we are going somewhere nice and upscale. Otherwise all other trips are taken in the girls Accord. I actually rarely drive my car on the weekends. I bought my car in Feb and have only put 3,000 miles on it. I am going to continue driving it and enjoying it, but I will try to not rack up the miles. I bought the car with the intention of holding on to it for a very long time, and modding it, tracking it, and enjoying it. Again, if I had to drive 10-12,000 miles a year, I would not do it in the CR, or any other S2000. Mainly because I want to hold on to the car and keep it nice and not just rack up senseless and non fun miles.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I nearly got rear ended today. Less than 6 inches from my rear bumper. f@#king SUVs.

I've been struggling with the idea of a daily driver since I originally purchased the car, and I find myself continuing to drive the CR, because even for a simple commute, its just more fun.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by xthumper32x
Well I wasn't ever planning on getting a CR. But it found me, the deal was too good to pass up so I traded my RSX-S in for her. So my CR is my daily. I have nothing else. I have a smile on my face every day that I get into the car. Eventually I will be picking up a daily. But I will still drive the CR frequently.
Same story for me, wanted an s2000 but not necessarily a CR but this local ricer(Rodney)that sold it to me was persistant so I sold my ABP RSX-S to another friend and it worked out for all of us. My commute to work is less than 30 miles round trip and with 2 months of ownership I feel unconfortable if I'm not in it. I compete in SCCA Solo BS and am not afraid to push the car. I still have not quite found the limit but I'm trying to, that being said I love my car but will take every advantage of driving it like it should be. I also have a base auto RSX that I use if I have to drive my kids around, but have not really needed to use it lately, so it's just chillin in my driveway jealous of the CR. The RSX will get some seat time once the nice weather goes south and I will use that time to prep the CR for the 2012 solo season. Drive the car every chance you get because ya never know when it will be your last.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Should you daily drive your CR? Only if you don't have a choice imo
Old 06-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by cantsleep
Yes. That's what I have on mine. I have the lowest level policy, since it's always garaged and I drive under 1k a year.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:26 PM

i drive my CR on the weekends and occasionally during the week. for the most part my civic ex is the daily. dont sell your si, i still miss mine but it got jacked so now i am left with her SOHC ex. it sucks.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by herrjr
Originally Posted by cantsleep' timestamp='1308151980' post='20684910
Yes. That's what I have on mine. I have the lowest level policy, since it's always garaged and I drive under 1k a year.

I switched mine to a weekend policy as well. My policy is pretty lenient, you set a mileage target, and try to stay under, but its not always exact. Either way it is cheaper.

Quick Reply: Should I daily drive my CR?