S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

6.5" Speaker Spacers

Old 01-03-2015, 01:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 6.5" Speaker Spacers

I've been lurking on this forum to seek for a best solution to mount aftermarket (HAT if you want me to be more specific) speakers and it seems like purchasing spacers is inevitable. Many threads from the past are dated and most of links are down or no longer functioning. The only useful link I found is this - http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK033 but it seems that this will even need further modding as the inserts are too small for HAT speakers to be mounted.

Anyway, as we are in 2015, is the product from the link above best we got? $33 (incl. shipping) seems a little steep for two spacers but I don't have much choice. (I don't plan on doing MDF because it will suck moisture and will deform over time)

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm sure you could coat the MDF in urethane or something similar to keep it from absorbing moisture. You could hack up the stock baskets if necessary for speakers that run into the bottom of the basket. It depends on the speakers you use. I used the adapter rings that came with my DB6501s and foam baffles for my install.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:57 PM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had unpainted MDF spacers in my car for years and they're still fine. I'd planned
to paint them, which should prevent any moisture issues, but didn't get around to it.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 PM

I still don't really have a way of making these spacers out of MDFs as I don't have a proper to cut them. Is there anyone on this forum that is making them for a small fee?
Old 01-04-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up a cheap set off ebay, like 10 bucks..
Old 01-04-2015, 10:38 PM

Do you mind sharing which one you got?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a set from http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/...earch_consumer

Received an email a day later saying they would refund 50% of my purchase price if I send them pictures of my install.
These are also made of PVC so no worries about deterioration over time.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend MDF. I have the PVC ones myself and they feel pretty fragile. I also ended up still having to shave off a lot of the material to get my speakers to fit.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa

Received an email a day later saying they would refund 50% of my purchase price if I send them pictures of my install.
It's actually ABS I believe & rather sturdy. No worries about rotting over time. Worked great. Dropped right in, actually their most recent photo is from my installation & gave me money back.

Well worth the convenience & quality.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by tsuyoshi
Originally Posted by qbnlykwhoa' timestamp='1420563308' post='23458126

It's actually ABS I believe & rather sturdy. No worries about rotting over time. Worked great. Dropped right in, actually their most recent photo is from my installation & gave me money back.

Well worth the convenience & quality.
Quoted from their website:
"Our CNC machined PVC speaker adapters are far more durable than conventional injection molded speaker adapters, and will not rot like MDF or wood"

And I was really surprised when they emailed me about refunding half of the purchase. Thanks for the confirmation that they also gave you your money back.
Hopefully they arrive quickly, excited to get everything installed.

Quick Reply: 6.5" Speaker Spacers