S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

8 Hour install time ?

Old 04-28-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 Hour install time ?

I was estimated that it would take ~8 hours @75/hour to install:

Head Unit
Component Speakers in the doors
Amp
DCI

So the install costs alone were 600. Is this resonable or is the guy full of it?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 10:08 AM

Depending on the quality of work... it could be a little high.
But that also depends on what kind of wiring and such is he including in that install? All new speaker wires, soldered connections, amp wiring kit and accessories??
If he hasn't done to many S2000's then your better off paying him to do a good job rather than rush and screw it up.

Can you give me an exact breakout of the install quoted?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been installing mine for three years

I would find a local EJ (dave) and pay him because they really should know the S before they start ripping your car apart
Old 04-28-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999,Apr 28 2005, 02:08 PM
Can you give me an exact breakout of the install quoted?
Well i dont have an exact break out.

He said it could be different depending on what he has to do once he gets the car apart. He only generally broke it down to 2 hours/ per door. 2 hours for the head unit and 2 for the wiring and the amp.

The 600 does not include the costs of any parts. It is labor only.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,Apr 28 2005, 02:13 PM
I've been installing mine for three years

I would find a local EJ (dave) and pay him because they really should know the S before they start ripping your car apart
Well if any one in NJ area has done this before, and knows what they are doing, I'll gladly pay a fellow member.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:43 AM

Well I would find out exactly what kind of work he's going to be doing... it could be a good number if he's rewiring the whole thing otherwise your paying to much.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmm... That seems like way too much for install, unless you didn't buy the parts from him. If he builds a nice amp rack and includes materials in the price, it's probably reasonable. I did my S2000 myself. spent about $1k and took 8 hours total to install HU, amp, sub, DCI, and front components. Installing yourself is very easy if you have a garage and are mechanically/electrically inclined. Good luck!

I have had VERY poor results with every stereo shop I have worked with except for one (they did the fiberglass work in my Monte). That one was Kustom Kar Audio (run by Clay Watson) in Boulder, CO. They specialize in high end cars by appointment only and built a demo vehicle for Zapco. The first time I walked in they were doing a customer's NSX and had a Merc and Porsche in there as well.

IMO, soldered connections, 4 gauge power wire, adapters for the front speakers, redone speaker wire, and a nice carpeted amp rack are what you should expect for that price.

Tim
Old 04-28-2005, 11:20 AM

8 hours for that install seems way high to me, especially for a pro.

the HU alone is easily only a 1 hour job for an amateur. the doors should be 2 hours total, not 2 hours per.

it really depends on what he's doing... custom amp rack? custom spacers? rewiring the doors? etc?

i had my doors priced for components install at $80 total for both doors (iirc). and that included having a custom spacer made for the super deep Focals (but not rewiring). in the end, i paid him do it b/c it was worth it to me, since he had to drill the holes for the tweeter mounts (MY 01 had no tweeter pods). for $80, if he botched, i got new door panels, and i saved myself some hassle when i really didn't have the time to do it myself.

all in all? way too expensive, imo.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:33 AM

Shit ill do it for $600!!! Too bad im in cali . I say WAY TOO HIGH!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Former Moderator

I would think 4 or 5 hours would be a good number for HU, AMP, doors (with new wire), and a DCI.

Definately make sure they are familiar with the S2000 (don't want to be their first) or see if one of the local S2000 owners is interested in helping you out.

Quick Reply: 8 Hour install time ?