S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Alpine UTE-73BT

Old 09-26-2018, 02:06 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by HDNBenjamin
well then...I may have overspent on the 62 then. dang it!
Still a nice piece; costs more for a reason. Some people appreciate the higher level of EQ tunability with the 62. I'm no audiophile so I couldn't care less.

For the people who mounted the KTP445u: Did you guys use a LOC to connect to the factory speakers? I have the Alpine PnP adapter for my HU; I'm assuming I can de-pin the speaker wires from that harness and use a LOC to hook up to the RCA cables. Or can I just cut the RCA ends off and crimp the twisted pairs into one pin? Planning to retain a PnP setup if I even bother to install this thing at all.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I went with the 445a so I didn't have to deal with that. As tempting as bridged would be, I went with the lazy route...
Old 09-26-2018, 06:52 PM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Su2uKa!
The only differences I see are a 10 band EQ on the 62 vs. 3 band on the 72
More android AOA compatibility on the 72
Custom colors (RGB) on the 72
In addition, the UTE-62BT has 4v preouts, while the UTE-73BT has only 2v
Old 09-30-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oth
In addition, the UTE-62BT has 4v preouts, while the UTE-73BT has only 2v
Does this make a noticeable difference?
Old 10-01-2018, 05:30 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

If you are not using an external amplifier, then the preamp output voltage is irrelevant. If you are, in theory the higher voltage
means the audio signal you want is stronger relative to any (electronic) noise picked up along the way, especially induced in
poorly-shielded RCA cables. In the real world, probably irrelevant for most people compared to road noise.
I pointed it out to highlight that there are differences in the specs for the two headunits, but also because it implies different
headunit hardware rather than simply software; in this day and age I can imagine companies making one headunit, but turning
on/off features to differentiate models.
As an aside, many years ago I dropped a TI calculator and the face plate came off, revealing fully functional buttons for the
functions available only on the higher-priced model. Turns out the low priced model was exactly the same except for the face
plate and missing button pads.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oth
If you are not using an external amplifier, then the preamp output voltage is irrelevant. If you are, in theory the higher voltage
means the audio signal you want is stronger relative to any (electronic) noise picked up along the way, especially induced in
poorly-shielded RCA cables. In the real world, probably irrelevant for most people compared to road noise.
I pointed it out to highlight that there are differences in the specs for the two headunits, but also because it implies different
headunit hardware rather than simply software; in this day and age I can imagine companies making one headunit, but turning
on/off features to differentiate models.
As an aside, many years ago I dropped a TI calculator and the face plate came off, revealing fully functional buttons for the
functions available only on the higher-priced model. Turns out the low priced model was exactly the same except for the face
plate and missing button pads.
That's very interesting about the calculator.
I am running an external amplifier for a trunk mounted JL amp and subwoofer, but did use quality shielded RCAs (run down the driver's side sill, no less) and don't notice any noise or anything negative to report.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if i plan on running a bridged alpine power pack to 90w rms to drive the front 2 speakers, oem or alpine not sure yet...

am i better off with the 73 or 62?

i think the 73 looks better, but the 62 has the 4v output, not sure if it will be a factor with this setup.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:23 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

My vague memory is that the 62 has the better EQ capability? Not sure, but I would check that.

Also, the Tune-It app is actually useful. You can find a few S2k specific eq set ups on there that work well. You can do it yourself obviously. But, the App is decent.

I think EQ is important.

Last edited by rpg51; 05-21-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
My vague memory is that the 62 has the better EQ capability? Not sure, but I would check that.

Also, the Tune-It app is actually useful. You can find a few S2k specific eq set ups on there that work well. You can do it yourself obviously. But, the App is decent.

I think EQ is important.
yes the 62 has more eq options as well

but im not going to be constantly messing with that, id rather set it and forget it, so im not sure if it will be an issue
Old 05-22-2019, 12:47 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Its not a matter being able to change eq setting frequently. Its a matter of being able to set and forget eq at a setting that works well for the type of music you like in this car. But, sure, I understand, its not the end of the universe if you can't get it set precisely where you like it.

Quick Reply: Alpine UTE-73BT