S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Amplifier Installation - It's Worth It!

Old 02-10-2001, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is old news to a lot of you out there, but I just installed an amplifier to the sound system and what a difference!

About a year ago, I couldn't stand the stock speakers anymore and put in a pair of Infinity Kappa 62i speakers (2-way 6 1/2" coaxial design). There was a good improvement in sound quality, but sound volume was a problem, especially with the top down.

Some of you have killer sound installations, but I wanted to stick to three goals - good sound with low cost and no reduction of trunk space. I chose to keep the stock head unit, sending the signal through a line converter and patch cords to the amp. I chose an MTX 2120 amp (55W/channel), on sale at Circuit City, and was amused that the cabling, line converter and adapters cost nearly as much as the amp. I purchased the speakers on EBay, so the total cost for the system was about $330.

The installation took most of a day since I nearly gutted the interior (thank you Helm manual!). I wound up running the power cable on the passenger side of the car, the RCA patch cord on the driver's side, and the I managed to snake the speaker wire through the center console. Since there was no power-turn on lead from the stock head unit, I was worried about noise in the system when the head unit was off and the amp was idling, but there is no such problem. The amp is placed behind the driver's seat in a well to the left of the hump with the gasoline tank sender unit on top. This amp is pretty small and it just barely fits in the space.

All in all, I should have done this long ago.
Old 02-10-2001, 10:42 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds great. What model line converter did you use and what length of RCA cables?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2001, 11:10 AM

Line Converter = PAC SNI35
The RCA cables are 10' long

Planning an install?
Old 02-18-2001, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

I nicely spent my weekend by preparation and buying my stereo upgrade stuff!!

I went with Polk Audios DX3065 (separate woofer and tweeters) and ...after a lot of 'haggling'... with a MTX Thunder 152 Amp.

Now, I was under the impression that MTX is not the greatest brand and was really looking for an Alpine or Sony, but talking to the install guy at Circuit City (I love that shop! - sorry) I asked him to explain it to me like I was a 5 year old why he was claiming that the MTX would be the best buy for my system... First of all it was significantly less expensive (bonus) and secondly he had installed all kinds of amps and he said that he liked the MTX-es because they are so underrated. Evidenly, the amp comes with a 'birth certificate' with the real measured values at 12.5V (normally everything is stated at 14.4V and the REAL values are typically LOWER than indicated 'on the box'...)

My amp is listed as having 37.5 Watts RMS (nominal - not peak) but on the testbench it showed 69 Watts RMS per channel!! The 37.5W is just a minimum 'requirement' for the component...

Does any of you have any input on this? Although I have everything bought and in my apartment already I still would like to hear from you audiophiles!!

I will install everything along with my JVC headunit with the Pinky Mod in mid March and I will post the results!!

Breakdown:
JVC KDMX3000 (MiniDisk and CD in same slot)
Polk DX3065 speakers (separates)
Monster Car Audio RCA MicroXLN 16.4ft(2x prep for subwoofer)
Monster standard 8 gauge power cable

I have a Pioneer subwoofer in my Dutch car which is an active component that fits in a spare tire!! I don't know yet, but maybe it'll fit in the small spare as well???? I will try to take it with me to the US and install it in June hopefully. Here is a picture I found on the internet!! --->

- Any comments on where to place the tweeters for the nicest result in sound?

Hope to hear from you guys soon!!
Old 02-18-2001, 07:38 PM

I just completed my stereo upgrades this week - added a PPI 2200 amp (50 w/channel), Eclipse 6 1/2" Point Source speakers, and a Alpine changer to the stock head. Wow, I couldn't believe what a difference it made! My expectations were somewhat low since I decided to forego a subwoofer, but it's a tenfold improvement over the factory system and still totally stealthy.
Old 02-25-2001, 08:54 PM

Hi Guys,

As posted above, but I already managed to install everything this weekend. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

The Pinky Mod works great and the new speakers are awesome!!! The amplifier is completely hidden behind the fuel filler pipe and therefore the trunk cover... No room wasted

The sound improvement is fenomenal!!! Kickin'!!!!

If interested, you can view some results on http://www.xs4all.nl/~pwb/s2000 and scroll to 24 february...
Old 02-26-2001, 10:40 AM

Hey Peter, Your trunk photo looks just like mine did during the install (of course the metal was painted RED, not yellow ). Enjoy the new sounds, I am!

BTW - I freaked out the other day when I noticed my left channel sounding muted and distorted . Fortunately, I tried other sources - CD worked fine - AM worked fine - other FM channles worked fine - and figured out the problem was from the radio station I was listening to. Whew!
Old 02-26-2001, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
...I freaked out the other day when I noticed my left channel sounding muted and distorted . Fortunately, I tried other sources - CD worked fine - AM worked fine - other FM channles worked fine - and figured out the problem was from the radio station I was listening to. Whew!
You listen to the radio????????????

Siepel
Old 02-27-2001, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Siepel
You listen to the radio????????????

Siepel
Yes! ... but I can stop any time. Anytime I want I can just turn off this radio. Yep, just turn that knob and off it goes. Off, off, off ... no problem