S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

My Boston Rally speakers

Old 02-21-2001, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just got a pair of Boston Rally seperates installed yesterday. Here is my review and pictures will be posted soon.
Before I decide on what speakers to get, I went to my local Stereo place to compare all the speakers (High End/price: MBQs, Diamonds, Focals and the Boston Pros. Mid-class/price: Infinity, Sony, Kenword, Pioneer and my Rallys.) I must say the higher end model are a lot better in mid-low range, where the sound is tide and solid. With the execption of MBQs, I would really spent the money to buy the high-end stuff. (MBQ is really bright) Now the mid-class speakers mentioned on this board would be a really good step-up from stock, the speaker that come out of my car are just junk (very small voice coil). But to my suprise, when i test the Bostons side by side, the Rally really doesn't run that much behind then the Pros. My understanding is that they made a huge improvement on this year's Rally line and the difference on the two is only on the Crossovers (the pros' are huge).

On to the installation: I mount the tweeter high on the dash. I hate the fact that my leg is always in the way and I can't hear the highs when the top is down. The sound now bounds off the windshield and created a sound image in the front , not from the side.

I really like my setup, but as always this is only my opinion, your taste of music and sound stages may totally be different from me. However, feel free to ask me any question, I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

John

[Edited by Chiman on 02-22-2001 at 09:18 AM]
Old 02-22-2001, 10:06 AM

John,

I was also looking at the Boston Rally's. Did you install an amp also? If so, how big? I did an A/B with the Rally's and Pro's and didn't hear that much difference either, especially for the price difference. I was wondering if the bass response would be better in the Pro's.

I'm curious how you mounted the tweeters. I was planning on the A pillar mount. Did you mount yours in the lower A pillar?
Old 02-22-2001, 10:55 AM

John,

thanks for the info. Maybe if we have a Seattle area meet I can listen to your setup.

I've used Bostons in the past (both Rallys and Pro), and depending on the headunit/CD/amp and specific installation, they can sound really bright, on the harsh side (at least for my taste). Have you noticed that at all?

Are you using just the stock head unit, or did you change that or add an amp?

Did you do your own install? If not, who did you use?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 02-22-2001, 03:22 PM

I am upgrading my system in steps, that way I can appreciate each component I installed. Since I am a novice in car stereo, I want to do the easiest install first then move into the more complicated once. First, I bought a Panasonic 800u from Pinky. There is some improvement in sound, but there is still no volume with our stock speaker.

As Magnolia Hi-Fi had a sale couple weeks ago, I pick up the Boston Rally for $199+ tax. Compare with the pros, which is in the $4-500 range, I think the Rally is a bargain. Since I don't want to make any holes in the door, I use the mounting bracket that comes with the speaker and mount it right on the dash in the corners, then had the crossover adjusted to -4 so it would not be so bright. I have a friend of mine, who worked in a stereo shop mount the crossover under the passenger-side's dash, so I can adjust it whenever I want. My friend works in DB auto sound, he help install my system on my old car and did a really good job. You can bring in your own equipment or partually finished job to them and they will help point you to the right direction. (I have no affilation with them)

After reading all the post about A-pillar mounting, I am considering it, but as I said before this is going to be a work in progress, so I may do it later.

My next project is to add an amp to my system. It is going to be under the right seat and I am still thinking on how to run the wires.

You guys from Seattle can check out my setup this weekend as I'll be going to the Boeing Field Autocross this Saturday.

John

Don't have time to get around for pictures yet.
Old 02-24-2001, 06:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For seperates A-Pilar mounting is the only way to go.
Old 02-26-2001, 10:56 AM

Utah -
Do you think they sound better there than in the doors? Exactly where in the pillar did you install them?
Old 02-27-2001, 02:19 PM

I have the RC61 (old Rally 6.5") components in my 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, in kick panels designed and built by Tweeter, Etc. in Portsmouth, NH. They're fantastic speakers. MUCH better than anything MB Quart over-advertises---um, I mean builds , if you ask me.

As for whether the NEW Rally Series is better or not? Most of the installers I've spoken with--the serious, GOOD ones--say they're worse. I always liked the silk-dome tweeters in mine better than the Pro Series, since I can't stand most metallic tweeter systems. (Old-Rally tweeters and Pro woofers would probably make for killer sound!)

The New Rally speakers seem to use foam surrounds versus rubber, and metallic tweeters (I think). Two steps down already, in my book. Sound-wise, I haven't put them to the test enough, yet, personally. I'd ideally like to have a set of Focals or Dynaudio three-ways in my next car.

I know all about the arguments over two- versus three-way systems, and I've done two-ways twice now, and want to try some threes.