S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Android Single Din w/o Cutting!

Old 12-27-2020, 09:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, has anyone with a Joying figured out a way to make hands-free calls with this thing? I tried using Google Assistant to do it, I get as far as Google saying it will dial the number I want and choosing to use Bluetooth to do it, but then it does nothing.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:08 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by toecheese
What I wonder, is, why the hell does the radio door even have this slot? I mean it's great for me now that it has it, but why is it in the original design?
Yeah its weird. Money, insurance cards, business cards even. Sunglasses were mentioned from threads ive looked at which kinda makes sense. You can tuck the sunglass arms into it and they stay put.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long was the arm on the model you purchased
Old 12-28-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by gombey43
Sorry, not sure what you're asking here.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by gombey43
There is no arm, there is a static bit that anchors the screen. But it's static, and you cant move or tilt.... if you want a more custom solution you should unscrew it and figure out another way to mount...

I used two of these:
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-30-2020, 11:48 AM

So after a couple of weeks of limited use with this thing, some early impressions pros and cons:

Pros:
Build quality
Detachable face with big, bright screen
Works with dash controls
Fits nicely to shape of S2000 console opening (looks good no matter how you mount it)
Customizability of interface (using Nova Launcher)
Lots of features
integrates seamlessly to phone via wifi hotspot to run Google Maps, Spotify, etc. (Highly recommend a free Android app called Hotspot Automatic that will turn on your hotspot automatically every time you start the car so that you never have to touch anything to connect).
Runs all your favorite apps snappily
Having a backup camera with the top up is amaaaazing

Cons:
Detatchable face big and clunky and ribbon cable feels a little bit fragile if you plan on detaching and stowing it every time you park on the street
No hands-free dialing or answer on the radio unit (unless you use Android Auto/Carplay)
Poor phone software (tiny font for incoming calls, does not display caller name even when number is in the imported contacts, lousy contacts software in general)
Mediocre radio reception
No HD radio stations
Attached external USB drive (for music files in my case) cause 45 second boot delay almost every time
Android Auto does not run full screen (not really needed much if you have a hotspot)
Clunky built in Nav software (not an issue if you use built in SIM, Google Maps via hotspot, or Android Auto)
Android auto requires a USB connection (Android issue, not the radio's fault)
Multiple steps to adjust brightness while driving (especially annoying when you need to regularly adjust backup camera brightness for sunny days or night driving). Blacking out screen entirely does have a shortcut.
Default homescreen interface buttons (on the JY-HQS01N4G-2) pretty but not very useful and not remappable (not a problem if you don't mind pressing a second button every time to get to your apps, or if you use Nova Launcher to bypass the home screen entirely)
Joying backup camera is so-so (black and white, noisy, and image is stretched to widescreen aspect ratio). But still gets the job done acceptably.
Poor documentation (still several things I don't know what they do)

Overall while this unit has its disappointing quirks and annoyances, it still delivers some good bang for the buck and a lot of features and it's a huge upgrade over what I had before with the stock radio. You definitely want to use Nova Launcher with this thing - the stock interface is just too clunky and limited.

I'd still buy it again, but buyer beware that it's not perfect.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toecheese
So after a couple of weeks of limited use with this thing, some early impressions pros and cons:

Pros:
Build quality
Detachable face with big, bright screen
Works with dash controls
Fits nicely to shape of S2000 console opening (looks good no matter how you mount it)
Customizability of interface (using Nova Launcher)
Lots of features
integrates seamlessly to phone via wifi hotspot to run Google Maps, Spotify, etc. Highly recommend a free Android app called Hotspot Automatic that will turn on your hotspot automatically every time you start the car so that you never have to touch anything to connect.
Runs all your favorite apps snappily
Having a backup camera with the top up is amaaaazing

Cons:
Detatchable face big and clunky and ribbon cable feels a little bit fragile if you plan on detaching and stowing it every time you park on the street
No hands-free dialing or answer
Poor phone software (tiny font for incoming calls, does not display caller name even when number is in the imported contacts, lousy contacts software in general)
Mediocre radio reception
No HD radio stations
Attached external USB drive (for music files in my case) cause 45 second boot delay almost every time
Android Auto does not run full screen (not really needed though if you have a hotspot)
Clunky built in Nav software (not an issue if you use built in SIM, Google Maps via hotspot, or Android Auto)
Android auto requires a USB connection (Android issue, not the radio's fault)
Multiple steps to adjust brightness while driving (especially annoying when you need to regularly adjust backup camera brightness for sunny days or night driving). Blacking out screen entirely does have a shortcut.
Default homescreen interface buttons (on the JY-HQS01N4G-2) pretty but not very useful and not remappable (not a problem if you don't mind pressing a second button every time to get to your apps, or if you use Nova Launcher to bypass the home screen entirely)
Joying backup camera is so-so (black and white, noisy, and image is stretched to widescreen aspect ratio). But still gets the job done acceptably.
Poor documentation (still several things I don't know what they do)

Overall while this unit has its disappointing quirks and annoyances, it still delivers some good bang for the buck and a lot of features and it's a huge upgrade over what I had before with the stock radio. You definitely want to use Nova Launcher with this thing - the stock interface is just too clunky and limited.

I'd still buy it again, but buyer beware that it's not perfect.
Great write up and some really interesting points. How do you use the item, is it as a standalone radio or mainly via Apple/android car play?

I think there may be some problem solving for you to do to it, which isn’t fun at all... I have the version 1 and have a lot less trouble than you on many things.

The screen layout is different but I can edit and move all the apps to have ones I want like this

so I have Spotify, Radio and Maps closest to my left hand with my OBD tools. Realistically I only use Apple Car Play.

Apple car play runs perfectly, I love it, I haven’t tried got an android so haven’t tried android play. This solves the handsfree problems as it all
comes up in a nice Apple interface format.

I get good radio reception, far better than the standard HU, have you checked your antenna power wire?

I won’t ever take the screen off, I think those days of stealing headunits are gone, but I suppose it depends on your neighbourhood.

I agree on brightness, a shortcut would be ace and I’m going to work on this. However this is fixed with Apple Car Play automatic dark mode.

documentation for sure is lacking and as a non android guy I find the system annoying. Little things like downloading apps and they go in a random order, not the last available space.

My main annoyance is the lack of DAB, but this will be fixed with Spotify/Internet radio.

Out of the box it was in German, had a beep for each press, horrible background layout and a weird little white circle that’s for quick access but looks terrible. These can all be changed. Android/Google programming I’m not a fan of either.

I’ve got a free 200mb monthly PAYG Three SIM card coming which should run background apps alongside my phones hotspot.

very happy overall!

Hondata app, really useful especially as the car threw a code today.

Apple car play works effortlessly and quickly.
Old 12-30-2020, 01:07 PM

I have an android phone and I connect using wifi hotspot. So the radio mainly functions as a standalone unit, getting its wifi from my phone and phone call audio via bluetooth. Android auto is really only needed if I want the hands-free dialing (at the cost of fullscreen and the ease of the other radio-native apps).

The poor radio reception is mostly on the lower end of the FM dial, and all AM stations (this is in Los Angeles). Antenna power wire is connected. Without the antenna power wire I get almost nothing.

Version 1 is really just a different home screen interface and different icons. Using Nova Launcher I don't even use the factory interface at all anymore.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:49 PM

If you open the actual Android auto app it will launch in full screen, at least the Nav applications should. But When it was wired to my phone it wasn't full screen. Kinda annoying if you do decide to tether that way.

What is DAB?

I highly suggest anyone using this to install a different launcher and customize it to your liking. Nova is top tier. The stock launcher is trash and looks terrible.

This also applies to the stock nav software and the stock audio software. Basically, dont use anything Joying related it's trash. But given how this is a full fledged Android system, there is no need.

Poweramp for music files, Spotify for streaming, VLC for movies, Chrome for browser, Youtube for youtube videos, Google maps or Waze for Navigation. etc.
The following users liked this post:
toecheese (01-01-2021)
Old 12-30-2020, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by silenc3x
If you open the actual Android auto app it will launch in full screen, at least the Nav applications should. But When it was wired to my phone it wasn't full screen. Kinda annoying if you tether that way.

Also under Settings > Themes you can have dark mode turn on automatically at night. Should apply to most apps. Think there is an auto-brightness toggle under Display settings as well. Take a look through them all.

Poweramp for music files, Spotify for streaming, VLC for movies, Chrome for browser, Youtube for youtube videos, Google maps or Waze for Navigation. etc.
What is the "actual Android Auto app" you mention that is opening full screen? When I tether I use the Car Link app on the Joying to connect to Android Auto on my phone, which does not fill the screen of the Joying (I asked on the Joying forum and they say it's not possible to do fullscreen). I went looking for another Android Auto app on the Play store, there is one called "Android Auto for phone screens," not sure what that is for, it gives me Google maps full screen but that's all it does.

What settings/themes do you have where you are activating dark mode? Do you mean in Nova or on the Joying settings itself? On the Joying I see a setting for Day and Night brightness levels, but don't see how to trigger it or set it to auto.

I did just now discover that when you swipe down to get the shortcuts at the top of the screen (why this thing has an Airplane Mode I don't understand), if you then swipe a second time, you get the brightness slider! That's a good shortcut.

I also installed an app called "screen filter." One tap and your screen dims about 50%. Very nice shortcut needing minimal interaction when driving. On the phone version you can customize the dimming level, but like many other apps when they run on the Joying, some app settings are not always accessible.

Quick Reply: Android Single Din w/o Cutting!