S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Android Single Din w/o Cutting!

Old 02-02-2021, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, TAHNK YOU to all who were guinea pigs for this project and who weren't afraid to try things - you guys ROCK! I learned a few things from you and I wish saw some of your posts earlier. You enouraged me to start a similar project of my own.

For my project, though, I decided to go with the 7" version and mount the screen on the dashboard above the shifter and heater vents. It's been a challenging undertaking, but also very fun. I decided to go the long and hard route and design my own screen bracket/bezel to attach it to the dashboard without cutting. Along the way, I ended up learning FreeCAD and bought a 3D printer. Here's the design I got so far (more on my IG acct if you care):

The most challenging part, by far, was getting the back side curves right. I still haven't, but I'm very close. I also wish I came across those magnetic mounts sooner! I might incorporate them into the next version of the bracket to make it more versatile and not to mess with the curves as much.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I can post my results here.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:21 PM

Those of you who installed, did you have to drill extra holes for the OEM L-bracket holes to line up? Or did it just fit?
Old 02-06-2021, 04:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentS2k
Those of you who installed, did you have to drill extra holes for the OEM L-bracket holes to line up? Or did it just fit?
It does not mount using the L-bracket holes. There is a metal sleeve you slide into the dash that just holds in using metal tabs you bend all the way around to create a grip onto the dash (it doesn't hold very well on top, where the dash piece is a thin piece of wobbly plastic). Then the radio slides into the sleeve and snaps in with springy locking tabs.
It's not nearly as snug a mount as the stock radio but it's acceptable.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nomad4836
All of the power ant/amp were giving it 12V or greater on mine when running.
Thanks. This helped me finally solve my bad reception issue.

My headunit only outputs just above 10V to the antenna. So I moved the car's antenna booster to the same 12V supply that feeds the stereo itself and PRESTO! The radio now gets normal reception.

I suspect there is something defective with my unit (although others on the Joying forums complain of poor reception so maybe it's a common issue). But since I am not eager to ship the unit back to China for repair, I am perfectly happy with my workaround.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by toecheese
It does not mount using the L-bracket holes. There is a metal sleeve you slide into the dash that just holds in using metal tabs you bend all the way around to create a grip onto the dash (it doesn't hold very well on top, where the dash piece is a thin piece of wobbly plastic). Then the radio slides into the sleeve and snaps in with springy locking tabs.
It's not nearly as snug a mount as the stock radio but it's acceptable.
That makes sense, thanks.

I ended up designing and printing custom ones, but now need to find screws that fit since stock ones are too big:

Old 02-09-2021, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by AgentS2k
That makes sense, thanks.

I ended up designing and printing custom ones, but now need to find screws that fit since stock ones are too big:

What are you attaching these to, the mounting sleeve?
Old 02-09-2021, 09:42 AM

I see there is a new firmware out for the Android 10 models... has anyone installed it?

It says new features are "bluetooth volume increasing and system optimization," whatever that means.

https://www.joyingauto.com/blog/
Old 02-09-2021, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by toecheese
What are you attaching these to, the mounting sleeve?
No, to the stock mounting location. Just tried it and it's pretty sturdy:

Btw, the stock screws to mount them to the HU don't fit. I ended up picking up M4x12mm, but 8mm or 10mm would be better.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the oem radio bracket.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:06 PM

Wow (facepalm)- it never even occurred to me that there were mounting holes on the headunit, I went right for the stupid sleeve.

Would you mind sending me your .stl file? I'd like to print out a set,

Quick Reply: Android Single Din w/o Cutting!