S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Another speaker decision to make..

Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another speaker decision to make..

First and foremost, I am no audiophile by any means. I've had a sound system before that I just kind of threw together on my old civic. CDA9887 with Infinity Kappas 6.5" components, V12 5 channel amp and a JLW6V1, I thought this setup was great and it was mostly leftover stuff from my brother. Again, just thrown together with a few things sitting around- no idea how it would sound.
Anyways, I recently picked up an Alpine IDAx-305S head unit for $100. Now I'm looking into getting some speakers. I'm reading that the Polk DXi, Polk DB, Focals or Infinity Primus are great entry-level speakers. But how do I choose what fits me best? I MIGHT run a 8' or 10' sub in the future so I'm open to getting an amp as well. But just how much power/channels would I need? This is kind of under a budget. Let's say $200-$300 for speaker/amp setup. I do not plan to run rear speakers either.

Another question is, would it be okay to get some older speakers like say the Polk DXi6500 vs the DXi6501? They seem to have the same specs? But I'd save $50 with the 6500 model.
http://www.crutchfie...io-DXi6501.html

I do not mind buying/using older products or even second-hand in good condition.

Thanks for reading and I'll take everything into consideration.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, the difference between the 6500 and 6501 is that the 6501 has a slightly shallower woofer, which lets you use the stock speaker baskets if you choose. I have a pair of DB6501, but I don't love them - they're better than stock, but they're not able to handle any kind of power.

I love my Alpine KTP-445U amp - super compact, and lots of power (90W x 2 in bridged mode). Alpine also makes a 445A model that's plug and play with alpine HUs. It's $100 on amazon and should work with your IDAx-305S. If not, the 445U will work and is easy to wire up.

For speakers, I'd go with Focal IS165 or the Alpine SPR-60C, both are $150ish. Also check out HAT Imagines, which a lot of people here love. They're pricey at $300, but if you give them some power they put out a ton of mid bass, enough that you may not miss having a sub for most music.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:55 PM

Will the alpine power pack have enough power to run the HAT imagines? If it packs more mid bass then ill definitely skip the sub and keep it the way it is.

Is there a rule of thumb for how much power for a speaker?

Thanks for the great advice.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the power pack in 2-channel bridged mode should drive the HATs very well - when/if I upgrade to the HATs, my plan is to drive them with my existing 445u, for what it's worth.

Most speakers will have a power ratings in the spec sheet. Every speaker is different. HAT Imagine 6.5 is rated for 100W continuous and 230W peak (@ 4 Ohms), and they recommend a power range of 20-150W for the amp. The 90W alpine will be enough power to drive the big magnets in the HATs without risking blowing them out. One caveat is that a more powerful amp might give you a marginal improvement at high volumes, but you'll also increase the risk of blowing your speakers if you drive them too hard. A bigger amp will run you about the same as the 445u, but it will be bulkier and harder to hide, and may be also harder to wire up - IMO, it's not worth the small improvement in power, but it ultimately comes down to your opinion.

Also, one other note on the HATs - the woofer magnets are relatively big compared to other 6.5" speakers, so you'll need to use a 3/4" MDF spacer when installing it, or else the magnet will bump up against the window mechanism. It won't affect the final look, and the stock door grille will still fit over the speaker. The spacer is easy to make on your own, and they can be picked up online for cheap as well. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:37 PM

JD NC, thanks a lot for your input. I'll definitely go with the 445A for plug-n-play capabilities. And i'll save for those HATs.. Haha I MIGHT just get some Polks for temporary and upgrade later. Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I'll add one thing - the KTP-445A is not bridgeable for 2 x 90 watts with the supplied plug and play wiring - Alpine
does not give it a 2x90 rating on their website though I suspect the amp itself is the same as the KTP-445U, just
the harness varies.
Unless you have rear speakers and want to use it as 4-channel amp, you might consider the KTP-445U even if it involves
splicing a few wires.
You don't mention if you plan on getting a dash control interface (DCI) to retain the dash controls. Modifry makes the best.
If you are going full plug & play, order his plug and play harness too, but if you want to run the amp bridged, get his
regular adapter harness as you'll need to splice wires anyway.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to thread jack, but regarding the speakers, do you recommend the Alpine SPR-60C component system or just the coaxial speakers?
Old 12-20-2013, 05:55 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JD NC
For speakers, I'd go with Focal IS165 or the Alpine SPR-60C, both are $150ish. Also check out HAT Imagines, which a lot of people here love. They're pricey at $300, but if you give them some power they put out a ton of mid bass, enough that you may not miss having a sub for most music.
Just a question for you.. how do the Focals or Alpine components you mentioned compare to the Polk DB6501s? I have polk db 6501's in my car with a 90x2W RMS amp pushing them and I think they're pretty good. Not great bass like you mentioned but not terrible, and they fit in the OEM baskets.

Is it worth upgrading to the Focals or Alpines from the Polk db's or are the HAT's that much better? I have no plans to run a sub, so bass is definitely appreciated. Would a spacer and ditching the OEM speaker basket be required for anything besides the Polks? I've found the advantage of running the OEM speaker baskets is that it prevents water from getting onto the back of the speakers and preventing rusting/damaging the woofers.