S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

anyone have Lucid 10" sub box?

Old 03-09-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default anyone have Lucid 10" sub box?

just wondering how the overall construction, sound and appearance is. any info would help b/c i am considering having a shop build me a box that is going to be $250. thanks again.

-Matt
Old 03-09-2004, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it installed. It is constructed very well and I am very happy with it, but a few things you should know. You will need to cut the box and install your own output jack for the speaker, the carpet color is a little different from the stock trunk carpet and it dosent fit quite flush with the tool well.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:32 PM

If you're going to use a JL sub, the box isn't deep enough. A small cutout is necessary on the back side of the box, or you have to use a spacer between the sub and the box on the front side. Make sure you check dimensions on any sub you plan to use with this box.

For the JL sub, the interior volume is not to their specs, and the sound suffers. I opened mine up by cutting a section out of the back. I had to play around with acoustic material in the tool well to reduce the overall interior volume back to where JL says it should be. It was a big improvement (lost the use of the handy tool organizer, though. Moved the tools to inside the spare).

I echo the comments about fit and carpet color. It should be better.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by hogrider80
If you're going to use a JL sub, the box isn't deep enough. A small cutout is necessary on the back side of the box, or you have to use a spacer between the sub and the box on the front side. Make sure you check dimensions on any sub you plan to use with this box.

For the JL sub, the interior volume is not to their specs, and the sound suffers. I opened mine up by cutting a section out of the back. I had to play around with acoustic material in the tool well to reduce the overall interior volume back to where JL says it should be. It was a big improvement (lost the use of the handy tool organizer, though. Moved the tools to inside the spare).

I echo the comments about fit and carpet color. It should be better.

if you cut a hole in a sealed enclosure, you made what is essentially a poorly ported box... if you've suffered sound qualitly losses, this would be much more apt to be the cause vs an improperly sized enclosure...
Old 03-10-2004, 08:49 AM

I would totally agree about the effect on porting...

...if I hadn't resealed the box after modifying it (I'm not as dumb as I sound).

When that produced less than desirable bass, I decided to experiment.

After reinforcing/insulating the tool well, I opened the bottom of Lucid's box up. The box's seal around the well is pretty good, as no air escapes that I can detect.

There was a distinctive improvement, but not as good as I expected. I attributed it to *too* much interior volume. I reduced it accordingly, guestimating as close as I could what would get me close to specs.

WHOA! Major improvement (with the appropriate amp parameter settings)!!! Loud, hard hitting bass without boominess. Words can hardly express how happy I am with the bass now. It's incredible.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting....

while you realized the issues w/ creating a 'port', you might be surprised at what some people do around here and then wonder why it sounds horrible...

definitely an interesting solution...