S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Would S-Pods compliment my system?

Old 03-01-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would S-Pods compliment my system?

I have talked to a few people on the board regarding installing S-pod's to my car, but they wonder if they would truly compliment my system based on the amount of work already done. So far I have an Alpine 9807 headunit, JL Audio XR series mids and highs, Xtant 403a amp, and an Elemental Designs e8a sub.

The system is very loud, but when cruising at speed it can becomes muffled, and it seems that S-Pods would be the perfect solution. However they are very expensive, and I would want nothing but the best results if I was going to invest in them.

PJK3 also suggested that since my amp is only a 3 channel I would have to run the S-Pod components from my headunit. Would it supply enough power?

Does anyone have any insight?
Old 03-01-2004, 11:32 AM

Given that the rears are only for fill, the HU will provide enough power; especially with an aftermarket Alpine HU. There are some potential imaging issues, but, once again the rears are for fill only and you are in a convertable. Road noise will be your biggest enemy when it comes to precise imaging. But you should get a "fuller" sound with S-pods installed. If the sound is not full enough, buy a small amp later and run the S-pods in mono. This will be better for the overall imaging, and you will have a system worthy of envy. (You do already)

PKJ3 has wriiten chapters all about imaging issues with S-pods, and how to allieviate potential problems with speakers so close to your head. But, I have yet to read a thread where someone was unhappy with thier S-pod purchase. I own a set myself, and think the world of them.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually if you were in the car audio world long enough, you would agree that something like the SPODS and the QUALITY of the SPODS, they are a bargain.

Remember, Honda charges twice as much for tin cans they call rear speakers.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:04 PM

I am not questioning the quality of the S-Pods, nor did I mean to offend anyone, regardless, they are an expensive mod.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one here is offended.......

They are what 200 bucks???

Trust me, Ive been in this game for a long time, although its just an aluminum panel, and a sheet of leather, this product is cheap. Just trying to make you feel more secure about the purchase.

(Note, I do not own them, nor do I have any relation to the manufacturer of them)

They are a great product, and if the seller was greedy, could charge triple the amount for them.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:47 PM

I think they are 260. I dont mean that they are overpriced, and not worth it, I simply mean that in the scheme of things, they are one of the more expensive mods. Anyway, that doesnt matter.

Does anyone run S-Pod's and amplified door speakers? Did you feel they helped?
Old 03-01-2004, 03:58 PM

Maybe a higher end Lucid rear speaker system would be better for me. What do you all suggest?
Old 03-01-2004, 04:14 PM

I built my own S-pods...FWIW the concept is great. The sound is so much better. My entire system is aftermarket. The only difference is that I am using a small 2 channel amp for the pods, and a 4/3 for the doors and sub.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:20 PM

I would rather run a 5 channel and sell my 3 channel than run 2 amps.

Any idea on the Lucids?
Old 03-01-2004, 04:23 PM

Also, what would happen if I just ran two speakers off 1 channel on the amp? I cannot turn the head unit all the way up before the speakers start to distort, so its kind of like wasted power right?

Quick Reply: Would S-Pods compliment my system?