S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Basic stealth amp and speaker upgrade

Old 02-09-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic stealth amp and speaker upgrade

Any recommendations for a small basic amp? I'm not getting a sub anytime soon, but I'd like it to be capable of driving a sub. For now, I just want more power so that I don't have to max out the volume with the top down.

Are there replacement speakers that can be installed without hacking up the doors? Can I keep the stock speaker grilles? Do any of these tweeters fit behind the grilles in my '05?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P7KotM9tj6r/c...asp?g=430&avf=N
How big are the speakers near my feet? Crutchfield doesn't seem to know.

In keeping with the stealth theme, and since I already have my ipod connector installed, I want to keep my stock headunit. I'm aware that a 3rd party HU will improve the sound quality, but for me, the quality is fine, and all the music on the ipod is compressed anyway.

I'd like to keep it under $500, including installation, but that may not be realistic.

I don't need anything as fancy as this setup, but I'd like to mount the amp inside the spare like so:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246919
Old 02-10-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not the guy to talk to about specific models.

However, what you are looking for is a 4 channel amp with line level imputs. This will allow you to retain the stock head unit, and not have to buy line level converters. The front two channels would drive your front speakers (Woofer and Tweeter) and the other two channels could be bridged later for a sub if you decided you needed one. Or you could add rear speakers with this amp if you desired.

The front speakers are 6 1/2". If you check the FAQ at the top of the forum you will find some info on fitment of the woofer. I have not had an '04-'05 door panel apart so I can't guarantee fitment of a tweeter, but I would bet they have a 1" tweeter in there now, so with a little ingunity you should be able to get just about any other 1" tweeter to fit in there.

You will not see the front speakers at all if you use the stock locations. There is a "basket" that holds the stock woofer in place. I can guarantee that you will need to either modify or replace it with something else to get the new speaker to fit. The simplest solution is an MDF spacer. Tracing the stock speaker basket onto it, then tracing out the new speaker template and cutting it all out wth a jig saw should take less than 1 hr.

Just about all the above has been covered in more detail (and usually with assosciated pictures) if you search on some of the above topics I am sure you will find all the info you need to do what you want to do.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please for the love of all s2ks and all that it holy and pure, DITCH THE STOCK HEADUNIT.

Imagine you walk into a 5 star restaurant, with a 5 star chef, and he cooks with caviar, fois gras, lobster, filet mignon, and truffles, but it all comes (on the same plate) a pile of dog sh!t.....would you eat it.....???

Thats what you are doing....the most important part of the system is the stereo. You will hear a bigger difference with JUST A HEADUNIT and stock everything else than you will with everything else and no headunit.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:37 AM

If the guy is anything like myself where I have a problem is this. Your dashboard (what little there is) is taken up by these controls that run that stock head, if you go aftermarket, your stuck with these cheezedick after market controls that TRY and make use of those real estate using controls.

I'd love a different head, do I want to loose the functionality of those controls???? In a word NO.

I'm looking to do just what this guy is. Upgrade sound without making drastic changes to stock.. I LIKE STOCK. I hate aftermarket crap.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:16 AM

I see both sides of the HU debate, however I see it as a matter of money.

Taking Dave's 5 star restraunt analogy, let's just point out that VERY few people (percentage to the populas) actually eat in 5 star restraunts because they are too expensive. There is a place for applebee's and even McDonald's when it comes to choosing your audio equipment.

That said, if you think you will loose the dash controls or that the the solutions to retain the dash controls aren't good you are WRONG. Both DJ Cube's and Modifry's solutions ADD functionality. Neither solution is cheap though, and when you add in the cost of that new HU, well it starts to inch up that overall cost again.

Best bang for the buck IMNSHO is to install an amp with new door speakers. My NEXT upgrade would be the HU. After that either a sub or rear speakers, after that either rear speakers or a sub (whichever you didn't do the last time.) So the above is a good solution to that because you get new speakers and a 4ch amp. You can add a new HU later without tossing anything you have already bought. You can then add either rears or a sub without tossing out anything. Then when you go for the full monty, it's still just an addition (You add a dedicated sub amp. Then either move your sub to it and free up the rear 2 channels from your 4 channel for the rears, or just add the dedicated sub amp and a sub.)

This is the staged approach I would take (mabey SHOULD have taken. ) YMMV.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:21 AM

I agree with the FAQ that that the best way to get quality sound is to upgrade the HU first, but my major concern, as I said, is power. I upgraded my HU in my civic and it sounded fantastic, but there are very few aftermarket head units that don't look flashy, and I love the stock look, especially when someone asks me how much I paid for my rims I got the U2 ipod to match my interior for God's sakes!

I am running an ipod with compressed music through my stereo, so a new Headunit is not likely to improve the sound much, and I like what I get from the stock HU. It's just not loud enough at high speed with the top down and I want to have enough power in reserve that I can get it as loud as I want without distorition. Right now, I routinely max out the volume, and that can't be good for the HU amp or the paper speakers.

I'd also like to keep the steering wheel controls working. I know you can rewire, but its just one more hassle and expense I don't need.

Thanks ruexp67 for the advice. Crutchfield has 3/4" and 1" tweeters, so there should be something that will fit. What should I be spending on a decent 4-Ch amp? $200? $300?
Old 02-11-2005, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC' date='Feb 10 2005, 10:34 PM
Please for the love of all s2ks and all that it holy and pure, DITCH THE STOCK HEADUNIT.

Thats what you are doing....the most important part of the system is the stereo. You will hear a bigger difference with JUST A HEADUNIT and stock everything else than you will with everything else and no headunit.

If its a money issue, upgrade the HU first and then save up for amp and speakers later. Youll be much happier in the long run.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:32 AM

I would get tweeters in a matched set with the door speakers. 6 1/2" component set. I am a big fan of Boston Acustic, but speaker choice is VERY personal. Go to stores and see which YOU like best. I would spend the biggest chunk of your budget on the speakers.

Glancing over Crutchfield for some idea on pricing shows me that between 2 and 3 bills will get it done. I would look for something with at LEAST 50 WRMS per channel.

There are LOTS of discussions about how to buy and where to buy. Bottom line is: if you are going to have a shop install it, then you should buy the equipment from them. You'll get a better deal overall. If you are going to self-install you will probably get a better deal online. The key to make sure you are buying from an authorized dealer or else you have no warranty.

BTW -- All you have to do is close the radio door and ANY HU, no matter HOW flashy, will look stock.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:21 AM

Please don't do what I did. I felt the same way and left the stock headunit in after spending $1500 on components (I didn't know about S2Ki and its DCIss yet). I left my radio off for a whole week. My sound quality got much, much worse after upgrading the system and not changing the head unit. Basically, the head unit puts out such garbage that the clearer you hear the filth that spews forth your cables, the worse the sound that hits your ears. Unequivocally, you must upgrade your HU first. We're talking McDonalds food here, not five star
Old 02-13-2005, 08:07 AM
c13

if you want a deck that sounds good and isn't flashy get one by eclipse. they are basic black, blueish white lcd display,and have aux in for your ipod. as far as your compressed files anything with a bit rate over 120 is cd quality, even if its close to it you wont be able to tell when driving. you can keep you aux radio controls if you buy a deck that has a wire less remote. i have a jl audio 300/4 hidden next to my spare tire. no one can see it behind the carpet and it has plenty of power to run front speakers and a sub.

Quick Reply: Basic stealth amp and speaker upgrade