S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

bose rsx sub - how do i make this work with my rca cables

Old 09-26-2003, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for those of us who aren't that good at stereo stuff:

Can this work with the OEM headunit, and sound remotely good, or add any noticeable bass. I don't want to change the headunit, but wouldn't mind adding the RSX Sub.

Thanks very much for helping a stereo novice.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:14 PM

Can I use this??

Can I use this to connect the Bose sub to the factory headunit?
Old 09-27-2003, 10:21 AM

Yes you can. I have an aftermarket HU so I already have RCA's but the convertor will work for you with the stock HU. What I did was cut the connector off of the bose sub and made my own power and RCA connectors. I used a single female RCA plug(one that comes apart so that you can solder your own wires to it) and wired the purple and yellow wires to it and then used a 2 wire connctor plug to wire the power and ground. I took the amp apart and noticed that it appears to have a gain control inside and I turned it almost all the way up. I tried testing the switching the wires thing like the TSB that Acura put out said, but it sounded the same either way to me. I would recommend leaving the cover off of the sub though and just screwing the screws in directly to the speaker to hold it in place, you'll get a lot more sound this way. Also you will need to cut off about 2" or so from the center piece under the sub that slides down into the center of the spare or it won't fit inside the spare compartment on the S. After I had everything wired I just ran an RCA cable to my RCA sub-out on the HU and ran the power and ground to their sources and everything worked great. The RSX uses a pre-amp under the pass seat and which takes speaker level in and does the conversion for the sub so you can't just run speakers wires to the connections from the stck HU as far as I know. There are tons of pages over on clubrsx that you can read but everything I know I got from there so it should save you some time. Here is the wiring layout:

1 - white(orange on the amp side) - rear stereo amplifier relay (power when radio is ON)
2 - ------- - not used
3 - black - ground
4 - lt. green(purple on the amp side) - front stereo amplifier-bass (+)
5 - ------- - not used
6 - green/white(yellow on the amp side) - front stereo amplifier-bass (-)

Let me know if you need anymore help.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:28 PM

Any idea what sort of woofer/enclosure you've got there?

From the picture, my money's on 5.25" high excursion/bandpass. Any other guesses?
Old 09-27-2003, 01:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by b0mbrman
Any idea what sort of woofer/enclosure you've got there?

From the picture,
Old 09-27-2003, 01:45 PM

I'm planning on getting one of these but I'm also planning on getting some Lucid panels ond putting some 4.5s in them. I've got an after market HU (Clarion ProAudio). Is it possible to have a Bose sub and the rear speakers?
Old 09-27-2003, 02:53 PM

Cool.

As the size of spare tires are pretty standard, I'm surprised I haven't seen more audio companies offering plop-in-the-spare-plug-n-play powered subs at the retail level.

Try saying that sentence ten times fast

It would make more sense than a lot of the other randomly-shaped powered subs out there and wouldn't be horribly expensive either if made out of plastic (fiberglass though...)
Old 09-27-2003, 04:06 PM

I know. I looked all over this morning trying to find pre-fab spare tire enclosures. I'm very surprised there aren't more (or any that I found). MTX and JL offer their thunder forms and stealth boxes respectively, but none offer spare tire solutions that I saw. Bazooka doesn't either as best I can tell. Very weird. Granted you need a few diff. sizes, 13" - 17" say, but still that's only 5 sizes compared to JL's 25 or so diff. Stealth boxes. Who knows. I found an old Pioneer spare tire enclosure, BUT, it wasn't even powered like the RSX Bose unit, and it's out of production, so the RSX Bose solution sounds good (for those of us not trying to blow our brains out with pounding bass).
Old 09-27-2003, 05:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dave22
I'm planning on getting one of these but I'm also planning on getting some Lucid panels ond putting some 4.5s in them.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by 00-ITR-373
I know. I looked all over this morning trying to find pre-fab spare tire enclosures. I'm very surprised there aren't more (or any that I found). MTX and JL offer their thunder forms and stealth boxes respectively, but none offer spare tire solutions that I saw. Bazooka doesn't either as best I can tell. Very weird. Granted you need a few diff. sizes, 13" - 17" say, but still that's only 5 sizes compared to JL's 25 or so diff. Stealth boxes. Who knows. I found an old Pioneer spare tire enclosure, BUT, it wasn't even powered like the RSX Bose unit, and it's out of production, so the RSX Bose solution sounds good (for those of us not trying to blow our brains out with pounding bass).
Exactly...at the minimum, I'd expect someone to make an unpowered box for subs to go in there...I figure a shallow 8" could use that space nicely

Quick Reply: bose rsx sub - how do i make this work with my rca cables