S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

CDT 3-Way Componets all fit into door?

Old 06-03-2001, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently do not own a Stook although I plan to remedy that very soon. So as my first post here I've a few questions about speaker locations.

I'm looking at a CDT-642DT 6.5" 3-Way component set. The tweets I'm not worried about. FYI, my thinking is that I'll be able to avoid subs and keep my soundstage up front with the 6.5" Midbass in addition to the 4" Midrange and tweet.

1) The CDT 6.5" Midbass driver needs 2 7/8" (73mm) depth so I'm hoping that it will fit in the stock location with a spacer?

2) However, the CDT 4" Midrange has me concerned, as it needs 2 1/8" (54mm) depth, and obviously can't go into the 6.5" stock location. Will it fit anywhere else in the door? I would envision the tweets being somewhere close by (within 6"-12").

If the 4" CDT Midrange won't fit in the door, then I have another idea... An Orion HCCA 6.5" 2-Way component set, which I know will fit in the door. In this scenario I was thinking a pair of 8" DEI 3084's somewhere up front for Midbass.

3) These 8" DEI's are very shallow, needing only 2.5" depth. Would these work in the kickpanels without having to built the panel out?

4) What about a small, sealed enclosure in front of the seats but behind the crossbrace? Remember these are not subs but Midbass so would I be able to get the imaging right?

5) Ok one last question. =) Would it be possible to fit the 8" DEI 3084's in the Stock speaker locations? Depth should be fine with a spacer (needs 2.5") but what about enlargeing the stock opening to 7.30"?

Well thats all of my questions for now! Thanks for reading this long post!

Z
Old 06-03-2001, 02:55 AM

I installed CDT 6 1/2" coaxials in the door, and they did need a spacer to work. You can not use the Honda speaker basket because the speakers are two big to fit inside, even after cutting most of it away. I had to use a custom plastic spacer about .5" thick and drill new holes in the doors. I also had to sand down the window stop behind the speaker (round thing that attaches to bottom of window). Lastly, I needed weather stripping to prevent any air leaks around the speaker. It was a lot more trouble than most people had with other speakers. If the 6 1/2" woofer is the same size as the coax, then expect to do the same. Consider some other good brands such as Focal or ADS. The CDT's sound good BTW.
Old 06-03-2001, 07:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NSXS
[B]I installed CDT 6 1/2" coaxials in the door, and they did need a spacer to work.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:35 AM

I put 7" Dynaudio woofers in my stock door location (yep, it was me)... I had to shave some steel, repaint the bare metal, and then cover the painted area with rubberized undercoating...

Also, for speaker depth, I made a ring of 1/2" MDF to mount the speaker to... I was always told to never mount a woofer to steel (only dense wood). It also helped for window/magnet clearance too...
Old 06-04-2001, 12:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shaner
[B]I put 7" Dynaudio woofers in my stock door location (yep, it was me)... I had to shave some steel, repaint the bare metal, and then cover the painted area with rubberized undercoating...

Also, for speaker depth, I made a ring of 1/2" MDF to mount the speaker to... I was always told to never mount a woofer to steel (only dense wood).
Old 06-04-2001, 01:53 PM

I think the only place you can put 8" speakers are in the trunk, or in the shelf that the tops folds on to. If you wanted to put two 8" speakers in the shelf, you may have to remove the spare. Have you considered two-way component speakers? Considering having a 6 1/2" woofer/mid bass, I think a two-way will work as well or better than a three way speaker sound-wise. Then you can add a sub in the trunk or elsewhere, and have a boomin' three-way system.
Old 06-04-2001, 03:49 PM

Zoll,

I have the System 340 which uses the MW 160 7" driver... I wasn't about to try to fit an 8" driver in the door (no offense ). There was a prior post about speaker depth and the window (someone did a 3D drawing of the window, my driver, etc... pretty neat):

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...?threadid=15453

If you are going to put a 10" or 12" woofer somewhere in the car I wouldn't be worried about ONLY a 61/2" driver in the door... it may not be worth the trouble for the 8" driver...
Old 06-04-2001, 06:42 PM

Shaner, NSXS,

Thanks for the replies. The reasons I would like to fit this all upfront is due to:

1) Space. I didn't want to consume any space in the trunk for subs since this will be my primary driver. I just returned my 2001 Mazda Miata to Mazda (horsepower buyback) which has a similarly sized trunk. My experience with it suggests that I need every square foot of space.

2) Also, I really don't need subs since I listen to Techno, Rock, and Metal in that order all of which needs good Midbass 55Hz-400Hz. Which, incidently, is what the DEI crossover gives its 8". Also I feel that 8" is about perfect for this range of sound.

3) Above 80Hz position is important as it relates to imaging. So this scraps anything behind the seats, trunk bootwell etc.

Sooo, sounds like I should scrap the 8" in-the-doors idea for now at least. Which means a 3-way with a 6.5" Midbass. That leaves me trying to figure out where to stuff a 4" midrange. Any ideas on where I could put it, higher the better? Shaner from reading of your experiences it sounds like the in-the-dash job was alot of labor. Would you do it again knowing what you know now?

BTW no one has commented on the suitability of the far left and far right kickpanels. Do you guys remember how much space there was in that area when you removed the kickpanels to run the wires?

Thanks,
Z
Old 06-05-2001, 07:53 AM

Zoll,

When you speak of the kick-panels... the under dash far most panels? You pull them off and there's not even enough room for crossovers...

As for mounting my 3" Dynaudio mids in the dash (they are called 3" but are actually 4" mounting) I would definitely do it again. In fact, I didn't like the first way I installed them, got a 2nd dash, and am installing them better... again. The image is fantastic... especially with the top down. If there is the desire, time, and energy... look into it!

Shane