S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

DIY - Backup Camera / Dash Cam Installation Guide

Old 09-12-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the idea of the reverse camera in our cars, it's the size of the mirror that gets me....I work for a custom truck shop and we do these types of installs all the time...in trucks. Obviously the windshields and cabin space in a truck is much larger than our little racer cockpits....I compared the stock mirror to one of the units here at the shop and the difference is huge...the display mirror is right in your face when I mocked mounted it up. If there's a mirror similar in size to the OEM mirror that exists AND still has a decent sized display, I'd be more keen to doing this to my ride....any suggestions?

-greg
Old 09-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NecroFIesh2K
I love the idea of the reverse camera in our cars, it's the size of the mirror that gets me....I work for a custom truck shop and we do these types of installs all the time...in trucks. Obviously the windshields and cabin space in a truck is much larger than our little racer cockpits....I compared the stock mirror to one of the units here at the shop and the difference is huge...the display mirror is right in your face when I mocked mounted it up. If there's a mirror similar in size to the OEM mirror that exists AND still has a decent sized display, I'd be more keen to doing this to my ride....any suggestions?

-greg
I actually like the size of the TOGUARD mirror that I installed! It actually looks pretty close to stock size when you look at it from inside the car. It's not intrusive, and the little bit of extra length on the sides gives some extra visibility for blind spots.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leemaverickly
Question. You didn't have to tap in the reverse light?
Good catch. I did have to tap in to the reverse light for the display to focus on the reverse camera and for the parking lines to be shown.

I'll edit the post and add a pic for it when I can.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaykobean
Good catch. I did have to tap in to the reverse light for the display to focus on the reverse camera and for the parking lines to be shown.

I'll edit the post and add a pic for it when I can.
Thanks man. Good write-up with pics. Awesome job!!
Old 07-07-2020, 10:20 PM

anyone know the color of the reverse wire to tap the backup camera trigger wire to? 2004 ap2 here
Old 07-08-2020, 09:07 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Per the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, the reverse wire is GREEN/BLACK, coming from
C501 (behind left kick panel, a 17-cavity white connector in AP2, 14-cavity gray in AP1)
The following users liked this post:
623baller (07-08-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 09:51 PM

dont know if this applies to ap1 or not but for ap2

tailights nut locks were 8mm, 4 total , 1 is blocked by this plastic holder that you have to remove to see the nut
sun visor screw was a t25 instead of phillips
Old 11-22-2020, 01:53 AM

I am trying to route cables for backup camera to the trunk. How do I remove these trim parts? I would like to put the cable from under the dash to under the door sill, but these trim parts are still in the way.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:21 AM

Hey, I ended up leaving the panel in place. And just pulling B loose by putting my hand under it at the clutchpedal side. Then used a stiff electrical cable to pry a pull-cable through, and consequently going the long way rond to avoid clip C.

Old 09-30-2021, 03:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone had any luck installing one of those GM live view mirrors that are showing up in a lot of domestic cars now? I think it's an option on the newer Camaros and has been available for the Cadillac CT6 for some time now. We don't have a lot of space in the S2k for phone holders, displays, etc so I'm thinking it could be a good option.

EDIT:
Hrmm....after looking into this some more, I'm not so sure it's a good idea. These are mainly used to provide a rear view, not a downward biased view to assist with parking. Most of the cars with this type of mirror have the camera mounted in the base of a shark fin antenna or the spoiler.

Quick Reply: DIY - Backup Camera / Dash Cam Installation Guide