S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

DIY - Backup Camera / Dash Cam Installation Guide

Old 08-11-2019, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb DIY - Backup Camera / Dash Cam Installation Guide

Hey s2ki community,

I do realize that a backup/reverse camera is not for everyone, especially for guys that drive a tiny 2 seater convertible. However, I have seen multiple posts on this forum that had people requesting guides for setting up this backup/reverse camera. I myself am a product guy that works in tech, meaning that I love technology. I always HAVE to have the latest and the greatest gadgets, software, and hardware. So that's the reason I decided to install a backup/reverse camera onto my s2000.

A couple of notes here:
- Please keep in mind that this is my FIRST DIY for the s2000 ever, so I know that this tutorial may not be the clearest guide out there.
- I don't have all pictures for everything because I had not planned on making a tutorial from the start. It was only half way into the installation that I decided to do this.
- If enough people request full pics (such as for removing the panels), I will consider posting them. However, DIYs for removing panels are already available throughout the web.

So THAT being said, please refrain from posting negative comments about this guide and its purposes, as I am only trying to give back to the s2ki community for the various different DIYs that I was able to use for my own benefits.

The product that I used for this installation is the TOGUARD Backup Camera 7" Mirror Dash Cam Touch Screen 1080P Rearview Front and Rear Dual Lens with Waterproof Reversing Camera:
Link Link

The reason I went with this mirror was because of its decent price ($79.99 on Amazon), and because it allows for you to see your reverse camera at any time (even when you are not in reverse). The cool thing about the product is that once you go in to reverse, it automatically pops up the parking lines and only shows the reverse camera view on the mirror, but you can choose to see a split screen view or a full screen view of the car WHENEVER you want.

Tools required:
- 8mm socket
- 10mm socket
- Socket Wrench
- Plastic Prying Tool
- 3M Double Sided Tape
- Scissors
- Phillips Head Screw Driver
- Flat Head Screw Driver
- Thin Clotheshanger
- Micro SD card to record dashcam videos to

1. The first thing you need to do is to identify where you would like to install the backup camera. For me, I decided to mount it to the right of the tag light on the rear license plate. I chose this location because (1) it is typically where stock OEM backup cameras are installed, (2) it gives good visibility when backing up, and (3) there is an opening next to the tag light so that you can easily route the camera wires in to the trunk. My goal was to NOT drill any additional holes ANYWHERE on the car so that I could remove the backup camera whenever I wanted to. Rather than drilling holes into the car, I used 3M double sided tape. I will post updates on how this holds as time goes by.

Where I mounted my camera:

2. Next, open the trunk and remove all of the trunk lining. The trunk lining can be removed by using a plastic prying tool and removing the dozens of plastic clips throughout the trunk.

Before removing trunk liner:

After removing trunk liner:

3. Remove the four 10mm nuts that are holding the driver's side tail light in place. You don't need to remove the harnesses that are holding the tail light in place. You just need to loosen it so that you can squeeze some cables through the seams.

Driver's side tail light loosened:

4. Use the thin, metal clotheshanger to route your camera cable from the opening where your tag light is to your tail light. Tape the camera cable to the clotheshanger so that you can easily route it through. If you don't have a clotheshanger, you can do this pretty easily with your hands (but you will still need the clotheshanger later).

Using clotheshanger to route my camera into place:

The opening under the license plate for routing the camera wires:

5. Tap the red wire of the Camera to the positive wire of your driver's side reverse light. For this, I used a T-Tap.
Link Link

6. Route the camera cable to the cabin of your car. Pull your driver's seat forward as much as you can, and remove the back panel piece. This can be done by removing two Phillips head screws under the 2 hooks. Now, you should be able to see some openings that you can route your cables from the trunk through.

Back Panel Piece removal:

7. Now you need to route your camera cables to the cabin. Connect the camera extension cable to the camera cable you pulled through to the trunk.

Push the clotheshanger to the cabin (from the trunk):

Receive the clotheshanger (from the cabin):

Tape the extension cable to the clotheshanger and pull it through to the cabin:

8. In order to hide the cables and to have a clean install, you will need to route your cables under the door sill trim and up the interior A-Pillar on the driver's side. Pull the door sill trim off of the body of the car. This is held in place with 4 plastic clips.

9. Remove the two sun visors on the car by using a flat head screw driver and removing 1 screw for each sun visor. The interior A-Pillar trim should be loose now.

10. Route your camera cable up the A-Pillar towards the mirror.

11. Mount your TOGUARD mirror over your OEM mirror. This is very easy to do, as it is just held in place with 2 specialized rubber bands.

12. Next, you need to power the mirror itself. There are two ways to do this.
a) Use the original cigarette lighter plug that came with the car.
b) Use a hardwire kit such as
THIS THIS
. (This is what I did and is the cleaner, but more difficult solution)

13. Route the power cable from the camera down to the footwell area of the driver's seat. Since I hardwired my mirror to the car, I tapped into Fuse #9 for the positive wire using an Add-a-Circuit piggyback fuse and grounded my negative wire to the frame of the car.

Fuse box diagram:

Add-a-Circuit Piggyback Fuse:

14. Before putting back all of the trims, test the product to make sure it works.

15. Put back all of the interior trim pieces.

16. Voila! You now have a backup camera / dash cam solution installed on your s2000!

Normal View (when the mirror first powers on):

Split Screen View (you can see the reverse and backup camera simultaneously):

NOTES:
- Steps 8-11 do not have pictures. You can find these throughout various s2ki threads.
- The product description states that you can only use a 16 or 32gb SD Card, but I am using a 128 GB Samsung EVO card with no issues.

Well, that's it folks! Happy Installing!!!

Best,
Jay

Last edited by jaykobean; 09-12-2019 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added extra step for tapping into reverse light.
The following users liked this post:
stock06 (08-13-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good job on the DIY
Old 08-21-2019, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the DIY.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice work, I would like to do this as well, except I want to replace the stock mirror altogether. The problem is I cannot find an arm to mount the mirror to the OEM button.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Nice work, I would like to do this as well, except I want to replace the stock mirror altogether. The problem is I cannot find an arm to mount the mirror to the OEM button.
What do you mean mount the mirror to the OEM button? I believe the OEM mirror is just glued on to the windshield. I know a lot of s2k owners have replaced their OEM mirror with a Gentex mirror, mainly for the auto dimming functionality.
Can't comment much on it since I haven't done the mod myself.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jaykobean
What do you mean mount the mirror to the OEM button? I believe the OEM mirror is just glued on to the windshield. I know a lot of s2k owners have replaced their OEM mirror with a Gentex mirror, mainly for the auto dimming functionality.
Can't comment much on it since I haven't done the mod myself.
Nah, OEM mirror is attached to this piece.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:26 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice DIY.

Check your soft-top side drains for a clog. Bottom of your trunk looks a little... I don’t know, dirtier than I’d expect it to be.

So take the flooring out, dump a bunch of water over each backside of the softop where the drains are and watch for a trickle heading down towards the bottom of the boot.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the tip. Not sure if this is necessary as I've installed a hardtop now, but I'll definitely look for it once (and if) I decide to take it off.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:22 PM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Just to add to this thread:
While there's nothing wrong with an add-a-fuse, the under-dash fusebox has three accessory terminals
E: lights on
D: constant
C: ignition on (run position, not just ACC position)

(I believe this image originally posted by Modifry)

While a typical female spade terminal works fine, if you want to get fancy another thread said the correct
connector is a Sumitomo HD-250
The following 2 users liked this post by oth:
Killision (10-13-2020), thoiboi (12-14-2021)
Old 09-10-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaykobean
Hey s2ki community,

I do realize that a backup/reverse camera is not for everyone, especially for guys that drive a tiny 2 seater convertible. However, I have seen multiple posts on this forum that had people requesting guides for setting up this backup/reverse camera. I myself am a product guy that works in tech, meaning that I love technology. I always HAVE to have the latest and the greatest gadgets, software, and hardware. So that's the reason I decided to install a backup/reverse camera onto my s2000.

A couple of notes here:
- Please keep in mind that this is my FIRST DIY for the s2000 ever, so I know that this tutorial may not be the clearest guide out there.
- I don't have all pictures for everything because I had not planned on making a tutorial from the start. It was only half way into the installation that I decided to do this.
- If enough people request full pics (such as for removing the panels), I will consider posting them. However, DIYs for removing panels are already available throughout the web.

So THAT being said, please refrain from posting negative comments about this guide and its purposes, as I am only trying to give back to the s2ki community for the various different DIYs that I was able to use for my own benefits.

The product that I used for this installation is the TOGUARD Backup Camera 7" Mirror Dash Cam Touch Screen 1080P Rearview Front and Rear Dual Lens with Waterproof Reversing Camera:
Link

The reason I went with this mirror was because of its decent price ($79.99 on Amazon), and because it allows for you to see your reverse camera at any time (even when you are not in reverse). The cool thing about the product is that once you go in to reverse, it automatically pops up the parking lines and only shows the reverse camera view on the mirror, but you can choose to see a split screen view or a full screen view of the car WHENEVER you want.

Tools required:
- 8mm socket
- 10mm socket
- Socket Wrench
- Plastic Prying Tool
- 3M Double Sided Tape
- Scissors
- Phillips Head Screw Driver
- Flat Head Screw Driver
- Thin Clotheshanger
- Micro SD card to record dashcam videos to

1. The first thing you need to do is to identify where you would like to install the backup camera. For me, I decided to mount it to the right of the tag light on the rear license plate. I chose this location because (1) it is typically where stock OEM backup cameras are installed, (2) it gives good visibility when backing up, and (3) there is an opening next to the tag light so that you can easily route the camera wires in to the trunk. My goal was to NOT drill any additional holes ANYWHERE on the car so that I could remove the backup camera whenever I wanted to. Rather than drilling holes into the car, I used 3M double sided tape. I will post updates on how this holds as time goes by.

Where I mounted my camera:

2. Next, open the trunk and remove all of the trunk lining. The trunk lining can be removed by using a plastic prying tool and removing the dozens of plastic clips throughout the trunk.

Before removing trunk liner:

After removing trunk liner:

3. Remove the four 10mm nuts that are holding the driver's side tail light in place. You don't need to remove the harnesses that are holding the tail light in place. You just need to loosen it so that you can squeeze some cables through the seams.

Driver's side tail light loosened:

4. Use the thin, metal clotheshanger to route your camera cable from the opening where your tag light is to your tail light. Tape the camera cable to the clotheshanger so that you can easily route it through. If you don't have a clotheshanger, you can do this pretty easily with your hands (but you will still need the clotheshanger later).

Using clotheshanger to route my camera into place:

The opening under the license plate for routing the camera wires:

5. Route the camera cable to the cabin of your car. Pull your driver's seat forward as much as you can, and remove the back panel piece. This can be done by removing two Phillips head screws under the 2 hooks. Now, you should be able to see some openings that you can route your cables from the trunk through.

Back Panel Piece removal:

6. Now you need to route your camera cables to the cabin. Connect the camera extension cable to the camera cable you pulled through to the trunk.

Push the clotheshanger to the cabin (from the trunk):

Receive the clotheshanger (from the cabin):

Tape the extension cable to the clotheshanger and pull it through to the cabin:

7. In order to hide the cables and to have a clean install, you will need to route your cables under the door sill trim and up the interior A-Pillar on the driver's side. Pull the door sill trim off of the body of the car. This is held in place with 4 plastic clips.

8. Remove the two sun visors on the car by using a flat head screw driver and removing 1 screw for each sun visor. The interior A-Pillar trim should be loose now.

9. Route your camera cable up the A-Pillar towards the mirror.

10. Mount your TOGUARD mirror over your OEM mirror. This is very easy to do, as it is just held in place with 2 specialized rubber bands.

11. Next, you need to power the mirror itself. There are two ways to do this.
a) Use the original cigarette lighter plug that came with the car.
b) Use a hardwire kit such as THIS. (This is what I did and is the cleaner, but more difficult solution)

12. Route the power cable from the camera down to the footwell area of the driver's seat. Since I hardwired my mirror to the car, I tapped into Fuse #9 for the positive wire using an Add-a-Circuit piggyback fuse and grounded my negative wire to the frame of the car.

Fuse box diagram:

Add-a-Circuit Piggyback Fuse:

13. Before putting back all of the trims, test the product to make sure it works.

14. Put back all of the interior trim pieces.

15. Voila! You now have a backup camera / dash cam solution installed on your s2000!

Normal View (when the mirror first powers on):

Split Screen View (you can see the reverse and backup camera simultaneously):

NOTES:
- Steps 7-10 do not have pictures. You can find these throughout various s2ki threads.
- The product description states that you can only use a 16 or 32gb SD Card, but I am using a 128 GB Samsung EVO card with no issues.

Well, that's it folks! Happy Installing!!!

Best,
Jay
Question. You didn't have to tap in the reverse light?

Quick Reply: DIY - Backup Camera / Dash Cam Installation Guide