S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Does the Alpine "Type R" fit in the door?

Old 09-29-2003, 12:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Does the Alpine "Type R" fit in the door?

I've been told it has a larger magnet than most, but I like the fuller sound from the 6.5" I heard.
Has anyone successfully installed the Type R 6.5" in the door. If so, was there any mods you needed to make that would prevent an installer from wanting to do it? I want to go the component route, so is there room for the tweeter next to the 6.5" in the door?

I'll have 5.25" in the S-Pods, and want to replace the factory doors at the same time.

Any help?
Hockey
Old 09-29-2003, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it fits. I say that having never seen the backside of an Alpine Type R because I have this in my factory locations:

I don't think you'll get much more depth with a 6.5" mid

[edit] Yup. The Alpine Type R mid has a 2.75" mounting depth Link
Old 09-29-2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by b0mbrman
Yes it fits. I say that having never seen the backside of an Alpine Type R because I have this in my factory locations:

http://adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers...s/Koda6Side.jpg

I don't think you'll get much more depth with a 6.5" mid

[edit] Yup. The Alpine Type R mid has a 2.75" mounting depth Link
Good news!

Thanx bOmbrman
Old 09-29-2003, 01:18 PM

The Alpine type R's barely fit. Any experienced installer at a good local shop will be able to make the modifacations. Below are pics of one I have done for a customer recently on an S. It does require minor cutting to the door skin itself. Mostly not because of the depth, but more because the Alpine basket is a little bit oversized more than a regular 6-1/2". I did have to install some spacer brackets to keep the back of the magnet from touching the window stop at the bottom of the window.

For more pics please check my photo album
www.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/user/rollingaudio

Good Luck,
Neil
Old 09-30-2003, 07:04 AM

Hey RollingAudio,

Those are what I have in mind! Finally I found someone with the same system I have lined up. Here's a few questions from your pics.

1. Where are the tweeters? I have a MY'00 - no tweeter pods - and want them to go in the door near the 6.5".

2. What is the silver stuff, is that dynamat? Clueless here, forgive me.

3. What size amp are you running? I haven't replaced the factory HU yet, so will most likely need an amp? What do you think?

I bet it all sounds great.

Thanx again,
Hockey
Old 09-30-2003, 05:47 PM

Hey Hockey,

The system does sound great! This customer went with an Alpine 5 Channel amp, which does 50watts X4 RMS and 200watts X 1 for the sub. He put the type R's in the front, the Type R's in the S-pods and then for the fifth channel added the Type R 10" DVC Sub. He also opted to go with the Alpine Cd deck model CDA-9815. The material around the mounting and inside the door is very similar to dynamat but a better material I have been using for all of my installations on S2000's. It helps stiffens up the door panel and makes the driver perform better and gets rid of the coffee can sound that normally comes from that location.

As for the tweeter location you have a couple of options. Below are some pictures of another customer with a 2001. I put the tweeter next to the woofer but attached to the door panel and not the door itself. This does lower your sound stage dramatically and is not recommended, he did not want to spend the money on the tweeter pods. On this vehicle the customer stated he was not pleased with the results and will be upgrading to the tweeter pods soon. Some other options are:

1) Mounting them in the left and right vents
2) Surface mount them to the A-pillars
3) Buy 02 tweeter pods and cut them into the doors to look like an 02 door panel
4) Flush mount the tweeter in the exact same spot as the 02/03 but with the flush mount cup included in the kit.

Neil
Old 10-02-2003, 05:13 AM

I put a set of spr176A, the 6.5" alpine type r components, and i didn't have to cut metal or anything like that, all you need to do is make an adapter, i just made it out of 1/2"mdf, just acts as a spacer, because the the space between the metal on the door and the door panel it self is alot, so u just need to put the wooden adapter on the door, then mount the speaker to the wooden adapter, and your all set, it seems like it is sticking out alot but the door panel will fit over with room to spare.
if you have any other questions let me know, i just have never got around to scanning all my pictures.
ankur
Old 10-02-2003, 05:56 AM

Thanx Rolling - I have tweeters in the A-pillars, but have been warned not to seperate the tweeter from the mid by too far. Mid in the door, tweeter in the A-pillar? Now I'm thinking, keep the tweet with the 6.5" AND the A-pillar, but I don't want it to be tweeter city on my soundstage.

Ankuse - Where did you put the alpine tweeters that came with your components?

Getting close to figuring this all out!
Hockey
Old 10-03-2003, 05:19 AM

I used heavy duty double sided tape, and posted them on the door metal itself about and inch or 2 away from the woofer, at about midpoint of the woofer (from top to bottom). I then just drilled some holes into the door panel they are already there just not drilled thru, it was very easy, get a small bit, line it up into the hole and just drill.
again i will try to get pics up as soon as possible, just too much work. right now.
thanks
ankur
Old 03-15-2004, 04:12 AM

Hey Ankur,
I'm interested in seeing any info you have on the mdf adapter you made for the SPR-176A s. Do you have any measurements? You used 1/2"mdf for a spacer - did you still use the stock basket or did you mount that directly onto the door?
thanks
Skydriver

Quick Reply: Does the Alpine "Type R" fit in the door?