S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Hey Audio Heads! I need your help!

Old 01-28-2002, 02:02 PM
Rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Audio Heads! I need your help!

I am thinking about upgrading the speakers in my 02 and was wondering if anyone could help me out? Obviously I would be looking for a two way component system but what size do I need? To me the door speakers look like 5 1/4"? Also, do I need to buy a system with a crossover or can I just buy the correct size in speaker separates? And finally, what do you reccommend? I am looking at the infinity Kappa series, the Jl Audio, and the Polks. Looked at MB Quart but they are too power hungry. I will probably add an amp later but in case I don't sensativity is a plus. Any thoughts, opinions, or personal experiences? Thanks Guys!
Old 01-28-2002, 02:32 PM

The door speakers are 6 1/2". I have infinity kappa 60.3cs and I would recommend them. You'll have better luck asking this question on the electronics forum.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:48 PM
Banned

To be honest, I would HIGHLY consider getting an amp. It will make a much larger difference to get an amp than just change the speakers. The speakers will also last longer. All I did was put in an amp, and it made a massive difference. Also, most seperates come with a crossover. I also personally recommend the Infinity's, but Polk's are excellent as well.

Blake
Old 01-28-2002, 04:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Moving to Electronics forum. More info!
Old 01-28-2002, 04:56 PM

This is coming from someone with a 2000, so results may vary. At least with the MY2000/2001, the speakers were the weakest link. I have had various combinations and replacing the speakers are the quickest (and cheapest) upgrade. Watch the minimum power draw on the speakers. Look for something with min RMS power <5W. I have Polk DX3650 components. They work fine under stock power and sound 100% better. Components are more involved installationwise, so if your a novice or unadventerous I would stick with the 2-way or 3-way.
[list=1]
[*]Speakers
[*]Headunit
[*]Rear Speakers
[*]Amp for (4x) speakers
[*]amp/sub[/list=1]

PS Crutchfield is having a sale on Polk EX3650 (one step up from mine). They require an amp though. http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-XnMCG...410&I=107EX3560
Old 01-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Rod

OK so one suggestion is by an amp. and the other is improve the speakers. If this was home audio it would be a snap! I've always been a believer that you get the most improvement in a system by upgrading the speakers. I replaced the amp in my boxster and all it did was make the bad sound a little louder. Of course the stock sound in the Honda is better already so I don't know which way to go. Good clean sound is great as long as you can hear it. For those of you who only did speakers, was this an issue? I don't want to get into a lot of customizing so a speaker change makes the most sense for me but will it really make a big difference? BTW, I am leaning toward the Infinity CS's...
Old 01-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Banned

Speakers will help, but putting an amp on mine really helped out with the clarity. Plus, you have amuch lower chance of blowing stock speakers with an amp then aftermarket speakers without an amp. Ideally, you should do both. If you do get an amp, don't bother with the head unit. It really will net you nothing noticable. If you do get an amp with the factory head unit, you need line out converters, but those are relatively cheap.

Of course, an amp generally is more money, especially if you plan ahead and get one that will work with aftermarket speakers.

The reason I got an amp before speakers was this: I found that when I had the top down, in order to hear the music, I had to turn up the volume to the point where the audio was getting distorted due to clipping. Now I can turn it up as loud (and louder) with no distortion caused by clipping. If you have no problem with the volume, then go with the speakers. But if you're like I was, go with the amp.

Blake
Old 01-28-2002, 06:20 PM

IMHO change the components in this order.
1. amp 50x2 is plenty (the headunit is grossly underpowered and allows you to adjust the gain)
2. speakers (preferably with a crossover)
3. headunit (more refined sound)
Old 01-29-2002, 06:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rod
[B]I am thinking about upgrading the speakers in my 02 and was wondering if anyone could help me out?
Old 01-31-2002, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by ricosuave
IMHO change the components in this order.
1. amp 50x2 is plenty (the headunit is grossly underpowered and allows you to adjust the gain)
2. speakers (preferably with a crossover)
3. headunit (more refined sound)
You'll get plenty of different opinions here, but I agree with ricosuave. If you do just speakers by themselves, you have to be careful to pick something efficient enough to work with the stock HU's low power output. And that will really limit your selection. Then if you get an amp later, you may find the "efficient" speakers you got won't handle the higher power, so you have to upgrade speakers again.

I tried 2 sets of replacements with just the stock HU and they sounded worse than the stock speakers. But I was choosing speakers based on sound quality, not efficiency. I didn't want to do it twice, so I went to a 50W x 4 amp with good 6.5" replacement speakers (with stock HU) and the difference was astonishing, especaially after I added bass shakers under the seats with the extra 2 channels.

I just recently added an MP3 HU, and other than the MP3 capability, I don't notice much difference from the stock HU. Bear in mind I don't listen at bone-crushing volume (I can't - I have a 4 hour commute, I'd be deaf). Your tastes may be different.