S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

How to Fix Your 12-V Power Outlet

Old 04-03-2007, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How to Fix Your 12-V Power Outlet

FIXING YOUR LOOSE 12-V POWER OUTLET -

Mine came loose too, but I was able to get it back together without too much of a hassle and without glue, epoxy, etc. My S2000 is a 2002, so this may not apply to other models with slighty different center consoles. I did this in about 20-30 minutes and it's not that hard to do.

Tools: You'll only need a Phillips screwdriver, a flathead (to pry the caps on the hooks) and a socket for the nuts inside the hooks.

I've used this link as a reference to the parts you're reconnecting and screws you will encounter. In the center of the illustration, items (#2) socket and (#3) retaining collar are the two parts you're screwing back together to hole the outlet socket in place. Note: The wire to the socket is not shown.

http://www.slhondaparts.com/images/PCI/14S2A0/009/6.jpg

Remember, the object of this is NOT to remove the storage bin, but to give yourself just enough room to get your hand up inside it so you can screw the outlet retaining collar back on the 12-V outlet.

1) Pull up the back end of the center console/arm rest (nearest to the outlet) and work your way forward on both edges of it, getting it loose enough to get it out of the way. Find the two screws (#25) that hold the the bottom of the storage unit to the metal frame under the center arm rest. Remove those two screws. FYI - use the ashtray to keep all the screws handy so you don't lose them.

2) Open the center storage door and remove the single screw just to the right of the trunk release button (#25).

3) Open the top storage door and remove the four screws (#17) (two on each side) on the edge of the storage compartment.

4) You'll need to tilt your seats forward and slide them out of the way for this step:
Behind each seat are two hooks which hold the vent panels in place. Use a flathead screwdriver (cover the tip with electrical tape so you don't scratch the plastic) and pop open the covers. Use the socket to remove these screws. You can use a Phillips, but a socket will work better.

5) Once the hooks are off, slip your fingers under the vent panel and pry it loose. There are four snaps on each corner and they come off pretty easily. Remove both the drivers and passengers side vent panels.

6) Once both vent panels are off they will reveal a screw, located in the upper and inner most corner, which screws the edge of the storage unit into and thru the headrest panel (above the vent panel). Remove that screw (one on each side).

7) At this point the storage bin is loose enough that you can pull it forward and get your hand up inside where the outlet retaining colar is located. Look where you removed the first two screws (#25) at the base of the storage bin, and you will see a center snap (it looks like a 1/4-inch hole between where the screws were) that holds it in place to the metal frame. Carefully lift up the edge of the storage bin and pull it forward. DON'T PULL TOO MUCH OR TOO FAR FORWARD, you just need the minimum about of clearance to get your hand up behind the outlet.

8) Reach up inside and you will feel the metal retaining collar. It may have slid back on the power outlet wires, but it should be there. I'd recommend some Lock-Tite on the threads of the outlet before you screw it back together. Push the outlet back into the hole (Note: it's notched so the outlet socket can only fit in it one way) and screw the outlet and retaining colar back together and you're done!

9) Do these steps in reverse and it's easy to put all the panels back in place.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-06-2007, 02:49 PM

lol wish i had seen this earlier. i tried to take mine apart and got too impatient... ended up ripping my glovebox door clean off in the process. it opened up a space that i could reach through and fix the socket though hehe. i just epoxied the door back on. doesn't bother me.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info - subscribing because I know I won't find this when I need it!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to do the some thing one week after I bought the car. Thanks for step by step. I did not have the patience to write one up, I was too busy thinking of things to tell the dealership....
Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 AM

great write up! much appreciated, save me a headache ha