S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

ICELED Underbody LED System

Old 04-26-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MacGyver weren't you going to make something like this?
Old 04-27-2004, 06:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, but things like that take some serious time. I've spent considerable time going through old threads, looking at capabilities, etc. It's a fairly powerful system, but I believe I can improve on certain items, such as user controllability. I have to look at it from a business perspective...is it cost effective for me to take time away from other projects/products to work practically exclusively on this one (for a comparatively small number of sales), or possibly license the technology from them and combine it with the unique capabilities of what my company is offering. <shrug> Difficult to say...I think we could help each other out tremendously, but they may view it differently. The only thing I can do is attempt to get in touch with them and ask.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:52 PM

Wow, I never thought I'd say this about underglow...but that is in' awesome! I think down the road, I'll get that for shows.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:20 PM

The owner has decided against licensing his technology to me, but I wish him the best of luck with it. Judging by his lack of a reply to further questions on my company carrying his products to complement my stuff, I can only assume he wishes to retain complete control over it all. I was hoping for a different answer, but I can appreciate his logic.

This only means I will be seriously chasing down my own design, which has been in the works for a couple of months. Mine will not be as powerful, but it will also be half the price. I'm not yet sure as to how powerful the system will be as that will depend heavily upon how much I can extract out of the processor's limited abilities. There are certain functions I know right now that will work and are significantly better than the systems currently out there (not including the ICELED system, of course).

I've certainly fallen in love with the potential (and obviously the current capabilities) of the ICELED system, but I'm not sure I'm interested in trying to match or surpass it. As the owner has said on their forums, they are in a "niche of a niche" market, so trying to compete there may not make good business sense. Granted, I may end up doing something like that down the road just to see how far I can take it, but it would be a pet project over a long time period...it may never (i.e., probably never) reach the market. But I know I'd have fun playing with it...
Old 05-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mac....make something as good, and Im all over it.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:37 AM

Hi. It took me a while to get here travelling by Google - but here I am Mac - sorry - I didn't realise I still owed you a mail. My mistake. The thing is, we have all the distribution we can handle in the US already.

ICELED, as has been pointed out, is right at the top of the market for custom vehicle ligthing. It's not just an underbody kit - it's a whole suite of light sources and controllers that interconnect. We are adding new bits all the time, and installations can be built-up knowing that everything talks to each other so it can all be kept under contorol.

The unusual thing about us is that we are all dedicated car nuts who just happen to be qualified in electonics, software and manufacturing. It's unlikely that our product range would make commercial sense for large corporations... the software development time runs into several thousand (hobby) hours alone. The materials are all very high quality too. There are just too many tempting short-cuts and inferior alternatives for the major players to resist. We don't go there becasuse its not the sort of stuff we want on our cars.

Anyhow nice to see that the products are starting to talk for themselves - that means I can shut up at last
Old 05-20-2004, 04:01 PM

Adrian,

Glad to see you found the thread. I don't think you'll get any argument from the people here that the ICELED system is top notch. From someone who is just getting into the mass production side of things, I completely understand what you're saying. All of my designs started as tinkering, but demand showed that it needed a little something extra...all I had to do was offer it up to the public.

I'm still hopeful we can work on a project together in the future...until then, keep up the good work.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:10 PM

link to COLOR MORPHICS
Old 05-21-2004, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by Twiztid
link to COLOR MORPHICS
This was spotted at Sema last year - not too sure if it's available to buy even now though. I won't knock it until I've seen a real video or photo of it in action but judging from the architecture it's going to be a pain to install (you have to fit every short section individually) and the serial connection strategy would suggest that patterns have huge constraints on them... I won't go on though
Old 05-21-2004, 04:09 AM

I saw the Color Morphics in action at Hot Import Nights, Miami last November (?)...it looked to be only slightly less capable than the ICELED system (no ZEN or heavy user control), but I can't say for sure as they weren't really giving a demo of the system (it was merely stuck on a car and turned on).

Chromacore (the company the technology is licensed from) has some very impressive architechtural/display lighting systems, which includes some quite powerful PC software to help the enduser. If/when they transfer this type of full control over to the Color Morphics system, you may have yourself a serious run for the money...

Quick Reply: ICELED Underbody LED System