S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

install costs with steering control

Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install costs with steering control

I want a basic head unit with an input jack. I thought about one of those CD changer adaptor boxes, but reviews seem mixed and no reputable company seems to be behind them (Moonet?). A newer head unit also seems to have a lot more feature and hopefully offers better sound.

Of course, being an S2000 driver I want to keep my steering wheel controls. That was initially why I wanted the CD changer jack instead of a head unit swap, but the shop down the street says they can take care of it all. That would be great, because looking at Modifry manuals and part costs makes me want nothing to do with it. I think it was a Kenwood unit, around $150. All installed, including adaptors and labor, estimate in the 300s, "definitely under $400" says the shop.

Does that seem reasonable? Sounds fair to me so far.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:40 AM

While I have not installed a head unit in a S2000 I did put one in my Ford Fusion. It took me all of about an hour or two for wiring it correctly. Sounds like a deal though if they are gonna make the steering wheel work. Best buy was selling the steering wheel adapter for my fusion for $100. So if you're getting all that installed I say it's a great deal.

As far as choosing the head unit compare how much power it puts out for loudness. You probably don't need Bluetooth wireless calling as the cabin of s2000's are not quite. The unit I have offers an aux input as well as a usb which frees up my cigarette lighter.
Most of the units you'll find from Pioneer and Kenwood will all offer great sound as well as equalizers.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:24 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

There are less expensive DCI's than Modifry's, though some of them lack full functionality such as Mute, much less Modifry's
added features like speed controlled volume. When you factor in the ease of installation, I personally wouldn't use anything
else.
As far as labor, using a plug&play solution such as Modifry, anyone who's ever installed a headunit before should be able to
do it in under an hour, and if they've ever done an s2000 before, half that (an AP1, 15 minutes).
It's worth finding out from the shop if they intend to cut/tap any wires in the car's harness - this is an issue because most
Honda adapter harnesses don't have the s2000-specific dash and mute wires.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

The Autoleads PC99-X61 is a plug and play adapter and cost maybe a third of the Modifry solution, at least if you are in Europe.
Function wise it's pretty close as well and mine has been working great so far.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modifry's stuff it legit. The speaker spacers and other items I've purchased from him have been fantastic. I would have no doubt his steering wheel controls are top notch. Personally, when I installed the steering wheel controls on my radio, I used the Maestro MSW because it's one of the fastest modules I've ever used. No lag between button press and action from the radio. We got them in at work and I was hooked after the first install. Their wiring diagram was super simple to follow, every button (except mute) was completely configurable for both tap and long press, and If I ever need/want to change the functions, I can simply pop the module out, hook it up via usb to my PC and re-flash all the buttons for whatever I want. If you need the mute button to work, go with the Modifry unit. It will be a much simpler option, and more plug and play. With universal applications, you can still get the mute to work if your radio has a dedicated mute wire in the wiring harness. It's not the easiest thing to do, and requires a relay or transistor to change the button press from a 12v trigger to a ground trigger but can be done without too much effort, and all at the radio harness. I simply mapped long press on volume down to mute and didn't worry about hooking it up. As far as the cars wiring harness, If your that worried about splicing into the wires, you can de-pin the rear speaker wires from the after market harness and snap them into the correct pin locations for the steering wheel controls and mute button. This is assuming you don't have rear speakers (my03 wasn't even wired for them). I did this to do all my soldering organizing outside of the car.
Your store should be able to get you steering wheel controls (maybe minus the mute button), a good radio ($150 as you listed), wiring harness, and install for at or under $400 (depending on tax in your area).
Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM

I've recently installed Modifry's speaker spaces, phone mount(right side of the radio) and DCI for a Pioneer head unit. Works as advertised and installation was a breeze. Modifry's products are uber legit.